22lr Handgun

Guest kevinf5

Guest kevinf5

I'm looking to get a 22lr hand gun to do some plinking and hopefully improve my performance with my larger caliber guns. I have shot a Ruger Mark III and a High Standard Revolver and love them both. Not really wanting to spend alot but want to get a dependable gun. I like the Beretta Neos but have not heard alot aobut it. What are some good ideas to look for perferably with a 6" or so barrel? Also, would a revolver improve me less since my larger caliber guns are semi auto? Thanks in advance...

*UPDATED*

Anyone know anything about this Comache I Firestrom? I like the looks of it and it's pretty cheap!

comancheibig.jpg

Edited by kevinf5
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Ruger MKIII is one of the best you will find. The Walther P22 is popular, though can be finicky. A lot of people love the Browning Buckmark, and many like the Neos. I've shot both, but never really grown attached to either. The Colt Woodsman and Iver Johnson Trailmaster are great guns that have roughly 6" barrels.

If I had to give up all my .22LR pistols and keep only one, it would likely be my tricked out MKIII. They are a pain to disassemble when they are new, but they are upgradeable, parts are readily available, and can be very accurate.

The Neos is an excellent handgun. I had a Colt Cadet which is the same exact design and it never suffered a single failure of any sort. Mags are super cheap at CDNN and it's easy to mount an optic too. Consider the low price and it's a real winner.

for a revolver id say a S&W 617 or a colt. for a semi-auto there are several, sig mosquito, walther p22, browning buckmark, ruger mark 3

then there is the single action ruger revolvers and the GSG mp5 pistol in .22LR

there is also the option of getting a .22LR conversion kit for your other gun(s). they are available for glocks, 1911s, and some others I know

Guest SureShot308

I have a P22 with both barrels and I like it a lot. The only Problem I had with it was it didn't want to eject when I first got it, it kept letting go of the rim of the casing. I fixed that by putting a spacer behind the extractor spring to increase tension. I haven't had a problem with it since then.

I also recommend a conversion kit if available for improving your larger caliber performance. Personally, I did alot of dry firing in between range trips and quickly noticed myself improving to near "gun magazine" groupings (check chamber, daylight through pistol grip, safe direction every time). I've shot H&R revolvers, Ruger semi's, Browning Buckmarks and a Colt Woodsman. My favorite was a Colt Buntline. I truly enjoyed shooting all of them. Maybe the double action triggers of the Sig Mosquito or the WaltherP22 would help but I've never shot those. I would get a Ruger semi for your "first" 22. Your ancestors will thank you!

I like a Ruger as well. If you are looking for a cheap revolver, someone has a H&R 929 for sale in the classifieds that is a dandy! First pistol I ever shot was a 929 just like that one. Simple, reliable and accurate. It's a 9 shot too.

another conversion kit vote.

i had a glock that was the king of conversions. it was a Gock 35 that originally shot .40, had a 9mm barrel and a .22lr conversion kit for it as well.

i also had a MarkIII but it wasnt as close to what i was used to shooting for me to really like it. it was a great and dependable gun. crazy accurate and boringly reliable.

Guest nascar22

Browning Buckmark here. I have put about 2000 rounds through mine without a hiccup. (I use Round Nose CCI Mini-Mags.) Very good quality and tons of models to choose from. I'm not sure about practicing, but fun and inexpensive..... yes!

Guest 3pugguy
I'm looking to get a 22lr hand gun to do some plinking and hopefully improve my performance with my larger caliber guns. I have shot a Ruger Mark III and a High Standard Revolver and love them both. Not really wanting to spend alot but want to get a dependable gun. I like the Beretta Neos but have not heard alot aobut it. What are some good ideas to look for perferably with a 6" or so barrel? Also, would a revolver improve me less since my larger caliber guns are semi auto? Thanks in advance...

I have a Buckmark and really like it, but have also shot a Ruger MKIII a lot and they are equally great .22s. I liked the way the Buckmark fit my hand a little better, so went with that gun; had the opportunity to buy either one used at the time and was allowed to shoot several magazines thru both. Can't go wrong with either of those in my opinion. I think the Ruger might be a little tough to field strip, but I am sure there are plenty of folks with tips/tricks to make that easier; the Buckmark is not the easiest, but I found good info at Rimfire Central (you might want to check out that forum if you haven't already).

Check around and I think you could find a good used one for a decent price -Buckmark or Ruger.

Guest 3pugguy
Browning Buckmark here. I have put about 2000 rounds through mine without a hiccup. (I use Round Nose CCI Mini-Mags.) Very good quality and tons of models to choose from. I'm not sure about practicing, but fun and inexpensive..... yes!

I'm with you - I shoot the CCI mini-mags thru my Buckmark and they work flawlessly. It's fun to shoot and cheap (compared to bigger calibers of course).

well, it depends on the use. i carriy a beretta .22 bobcat, when i have to deep conceal, for up close and personcal, (felmoroal artery), otherwise i've got a ruger MK3 for plinking and trainint. i love both, but if i ad to get rid of it i'd stick with the MK3.

Well, I'll be a week late. When I get home and get a good photo of it next week, I'll be putting my (very nice) Ruger MKI on the chopping block. I bought a pair of pre-1920 colt 22 autos this week, have to make amends with my bank account.

Go to a gun store that has both the Buckmark and the Ruger.

Preferrably the different models of each ...

When I put my buckmark with the competition grips model in my hand, the decision was made in less than 3 seconds.

It should feel like an extension of your hand.

Buckmark is easier to fieldstrip ... Ruger can be a nightmare if you screw it up.

Both are very accurate pistols.

Should you want a suppressor in the future, the suppressor has to remain on the Ruger because the serial number is on the barrel. The buckmark has it on the frame.

So if you want to get a suppressor rated for a .223 and use it on the Buckmark, you can transfer it to the .223 without violating the stamp.

Every gun that I bought sight unseen, I have regretted and eventually sold it.

Every gun that I bought trying it out, fitting it to me and checking out the balance, I have kept for a long time.

Internet forums are great for suggestions, not choices. Just because you handled a firearm at a counter does not mean you have to buy it. Make the decision based on what you feel and then do a targeted search for the deal.

Also, would a revolver improve me less since my larger caliber guns are semi auto?

Trigger time will make you a better shooter as long as it is accurate enough to keep you interested. If it’s a POS that can’t shoot a group you have wasted your money because you won’t shoot it.

IMO shooting double action requires more discipline and will make you a better shooter.

I bought a S&W 617 because it is the same size and weight as the larger calibers and is accurate.

Look for a gun store that has a range and guns to rent. For example in Knoxville, Coal Creek Armory lets you try all of their guns in a single caliber for a flat fee. There is probably something similar near you. My vote would be for a Ruger auto or single action. They are reliable, accurate and reasonably priced. Takedown for the Ruger autos is not as difficult as some of the other posts might lead you to believe. It's a small price to pay for their reliability.