recommended me a snubbie

Erik88

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned a S&W Airweight. I liked it...I didn't like shooting it too much as it was rough on your hand, however it served the purpose. I thought it was the best snubbie out there until I picked up an LCR last week. I forgot how nice it was to be able to carry comfortably all the time...front pocket, back pocket, ankle, it does it all. I sold my S&W because the recoil was so rough on such a small gun that I didn't feel comfortable having it as a carry gun as it made it too difficult to shoot. I'm not a sissy or anything, I love my .45acp guns, it was just the size of the gun with my larger hands that didn't add up. The ruger on the other hand fits like a glove.

I am going to shoot it tomorrow, but for now I can say it is much more comfortable in your hand, is noticably lighter, and from what I've heard the polymer frame absorbs more recoil so it's much more pleasant to shoot. It's a very innovative gun in general, and I'd say the biggest improvement in design of the snubbie in many many years. It's no coincidence that Taurus is coming out with a polymer framed revolver later this year...not that I would buy it, but they are making one.

I've got some light loaded semi-wad cutters, factory loaded semi-wad cutters, and a box of Remington UMC +P to shoot tomorrow. I have read that you almost can't tell a difference when shooting +P in the Ruger's. I can't fathom this as it is definately not the case in the S&W....lol I'll find out tomorrow and let you know.

Contact Tom at Tri-Cities gun depot...he has the LCR's and S&W Airweights on sale through the end of the month for $399!!!! The best price I've ever found them for has been $440. It's worth the drive...trust me I've been up there three times in the last month...lol

Edited by Kenstaroni
Guest truthsayer

I like the old-school 640. Not made of funny metals, chambered in .357, and can go from a BUG to an EDC with a grip/reload change.

I have a couple of the centennial models from S&W (no hammer) that I really like. One is aluminum and is a b**** to shoot because of the lack of mass - recoil is very punishing, but it goes in my pocket very easily and I don't even notice it. I don't shoot it for fun...just run a few rounds through it occasionally to make sure I can hit the target if needed in an emergency. The other one is all stainless steel and is a .357...it is much more comfortable to shoot but too heavy for pocket carry - it goes in a little holster on the belt. The newer types of ammo coming out have caused a lot of interest in these J-framed revolvers. I would like to try an LCR...the way they made the trigger is very unique and I have dry fired one at the store - it was extremely smooth. I may be wrong, but I was thinking that even S&W was coming out with some polymer type revolvers...anybody else know for sure? B

If you can deal with a bit of extra weight, the stainless S&W J frames are much easier to fire than the airweights. I pocket carry a S&W 649 with no problems, but as Bassoneer says, for some people that extra weight doesn't work for pocket carry. When I have to dress in such a way that things need to be a bit more flat and lighter I carry a PM9.

Get a BASS:

DSC07371.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Bond-Derringer/Thumbs/DSC07371.jpg

fits the pocket with 45 LC.

With the small pocket guns such as the LCP and P238 that look like a wallet in your pocket I have stayed away from small revolvers. Even my G27 has a smaller print for me.

For a revolver I always felt better with a longer barrel over 3 inch. Of course a 6 inch is not a pocket pistol.

Edited by Desert Rat
I may be wrong, but I was thinking that even S&W was coming out with some polymer type revolvers...anybody else know for sure? B

Yes they are but I don't know if it's hit the streets yet. It has a built in laser.

BODYGUARD 38 - Smith & Wesson

As we all know snubs are not range guns. As Bassoneer said, you practice enough to be proficient with it. I've got a 642 and love it. When I practice I usually run through at least 50 rounds and the recoil doesn't bother me and I've even got wood grips. (Which is really nice for pocket carry since it doesn't snag or "stick" on anything coming out of the pocket. See below)

4152035462_1239b96778.jpg

I continue to hear good things about the LCR. I haven't shot it but have dry fired it. Yes, it does have a smoother trigger but again since it's not a range gun, I don't see that in an emergency that's going to matter a whole lot IMO. More than likely the rounds are going to be fired very quickly at close range and that's how I practice. I'm able to easily keep a tight pattern and that's all that matters. Yes, a smoother trigger does help with shot placement. You should try the LCR vs. the S&W at a range side by side to see which one you prefer. As others have said, you will have less recoil and a smoother trigger with the LCR. As I mentioned I've never shot an LCR and if I do, I will probably say, "nice gun" to the owner but continue to carry my 642. I agree with what some people say about polymer vs. "steel" firearms, polymer is just tool to get the job done, "steel" becomes a part of you till you die and gets passed on to the next generation.

In closing, to me, revolvers should be "steel" just like a 1911. Good luck whichever way you go.

If you can deal with a bit of extra weight, the stainless S&W J frames are much easier to fire than the airweights. I pocket carry a S&W 649 with no problems, but as Bassoneer says, for some people that extra weight doesn't work for pocket carry. When I have to dress in such a way that things need to be a bit more flat and lighter I carry a PM9.

Great advice. I heartily agree with Bryan. The king of the pocket revolvers is the all steel J frame smith. Everyone should own at least one. A slightly larger, but just as great alternate is the Ruger SP101.

An all steel revolver is much easier to shoot. I carry mine in a good pocket holster (...AHolster...). An all steel j frame weighs about 21 ounces. The SP101 about 25 ozs. I always use a good gun belt to hold up my pants anyway; so the extra weight in the pocket doesnt cause any trouble for front or hip pocket carry.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Kenstaroni... when you shoot the LCR... try not grabbing it all the way up to the top of the grip, as you would a conventional snub. The soft, cushioning part is in the ribbed oval area just below that. Let the web of your hand rest there, and you will find it most pleasant to shoot.

I would not worry as much about shooting .357 rounds from a snubby unless you are in bear country. My favorite snubby is a S&W Chief's Special nickel 3" barrel and the "old school" slim grips. The smaller grip is makes drawing much faster. I shoot standard pressure 38 special personal defense loads. I also have a Taurus M85 with Crimson Trace Grips. The CT grips make this litte snubby deadly accurate. I use +P SJHP in the M85. I carry one under each arm for a New York reload.

Kenstaroni... when you shoot the LCR... try not grabbing it all the way up to the top of the grip, as you would a conventional snub. The soft, cushioning part is in the ribbed oval area just below that. Let the web of your hand rest there, and you will find it most pleasant to shoot.

I think it's time I find an LCR to go shoot. Thanks for all the good advice so far guys

Smith J frame or the LCR, both are good. Each has advantages as stated above. Stock grips and CT grips on the LCR cover the backstrap to top of the grip and I believe this reduces the harsh recoil that you feel. I tried the Hogue grips on the J frame and they did reduce the harsh recoil but have since removed the Hogues, too big. I think I will try CT on the J frame. IMO the out of box trigger on the LCR is nicer. Neither gun is a range gun but they sure are easy to conceal.

oldogy

Heck, just go buy one. Austin's in Oak Ridge is having their crazy-mad summertime sales blow-out extravaganza...LCR's for $380. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/vendor-firearms-sale/42052-its-hot-so-handgun-sale.html

It's enough to have me seriously considering one, even though I find a plastic revolver an abomination of all that is holy. But if you get one and don't like it...talk to me.

Edited by Garufa
Guest davidz71

I looked at the S&W 340 PD .357 snub with HiViz front sight. I then handled the S&W M&P 340 .357 snub with Express tritium front sight and slightly heavier stainless cylinder. It sold itself since I wanted to carry something lighter and smaller for certain occasions. I carry Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 + P and changed the grip out with a Pachmayer. I just stick her in a IWB holster or by itself in a jacket pocket. My regular carry guns are a stock SA XD40 4" or Colt 1991 Commander with extensive work done it.

.... I would like to be able to carry it in my pocket....

Nothing carries better than a S&W Model 37 Airweight.

I have one and its my Retro BUG. I use a DeSantic Nemesis Holster and it disappears in any pocket. Loaded with Buffalo Bore 158g SWC-HC, the recoil it generates won't hurt the alloy frame, yet stills sends a real defensive round downrange.

2evf0d2.jpg

Guest Bronker

I've shot my brother-in-law's LCR, and like it a lot.

For many years I carried a S&W 442. Hard to beat.

Now...believe it or not...I pocket carry a Ruger SP101 in the pocket. It's a stretch, but I am 6' 6" and 350 lbs, so I have BIG pockets.

Guest Roadkill Bill

I've been slipping a S&W 638 Airweight in my pocket for about a year now as a backup. It's great to carry in your pocket and the grip is an excellent fit. Points quite naturally, too. I like having the option to cock it and fire single action.

I took the IL out and replaced it with the Plug. Don't want any possible chance of a flag malfunction.