Is 9mm just to small?

Guest m&pc9

Is the 9mm round just to small. Was it made just so guys that cant shoot a .40 caliber handgun would have something to shoot. One might consider a 9mm as useless.:P

:tinfoil:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck yeah its too small. . .you know in fact. . .I wouldn't worry about the 16 9bple's ive got loaded in my Ruger. . .most likely wouldnt even bruise. . . go ahead you'll see. . .but not for long. . .

Nothing like an Early Kyler reference in the morning lol. . .

:tinfoil:

But seriously though Im gonna watch too. . .

Guest Sgt. Joe
Is the 9mm round just to small. Was it made just so guys that cant shoot a .40 caliber handgun would have something to shoot. One might consider a 9mm as useless.:lol:

:P

OK, I am not qualified too but I will start. :taser:

One MIGHT consider a 9 useless but I dont think an intelligent person would.

Due to my neck injury a 9 is the biggest caliber that I can bring back on target and rapid fire without causing pain in my neck and shoulder. I have become quite proficient with my SR series Rugers which are my EDC's and I feel totally confident that if needed they will be far from useless. I doubt the BG will be saying as much after the fact though so I guess I wont be able to prove it.:tinfoil:

I carry no less than 17+1 +17, but I seriously doubt I would ever need all of the first mag to stop a threat.

So which IS better 7 or 8 45's or 18 9's? For me the answer is the 18 9's, but I know that isnt the answer for everyone.

That said.....If I could effectively handle a 45 which I do love to shoot I would, but after a shot or two I am in pain and my injury also causes paralysis at times so carrying a 45 would not be smart for me. So for me at least a 9 is far from useless and I feel will be quite effective if ever needed.

Just for giggles I will throw in that I am also pretty darn good with my, 380's and even more so with my 10+1 P22, I dont think either would be completly "useless" either.

I think the real trick is to NOT get hit with a 45 while fighting back with a 9 or less;)

EDIT: dam yall type fast!

Guest 70below

There are some great 9mm rounds out there today. I don't think I would feel undergunned at all with one. The capacity bonus is nice too. I always think about a study some organization did once, maybe someone has a link, but in police shootouts (I realize most of us are not police), the average police shootout was something like 14 or 15 shots fired and one hit. Most situations you don't need 15 or 17rds, but I'd hate to need 14 or 15 and have 8rds.

After seeing the after effects of a 22 short and attending the funeral I do not think a 9 mm is underpowered. I do not want to attempt a 44 mag any more but I can shoot as well with a 45 as I can with a 9 so I carry the 45 in situations where a 12 gauge is not proper to carry! I just do not think that carrying a 12 gauge with a pistol grip on a sling across my chest walking around town is a sociable activity. But then I may be wrong! :P

Guest 6.8 AR
Is the 9mm round just to small. Was it made just so guys that cant shoot a .40 caliber handgun would have something to shoot. One might consider a 9mm as useless.:D

:P

Someone was bored one day and came up with the

.40 S&W so people would have something else to

argue about ;)

I stuck with .45acp and 9mm and let them argue. You

would probably get hurt whichever hit you.

Someone was bored one day and came up with the

.40 S&W so people would have something else to

argue about :P

I stuck with .45acp and 9mm and let them argue. You

would probably get hurt whichever hit you.

The .40 S&W came about because some guy shot up a bunch of FBI agents with a Mini 14, and they blamed the guns.

I know this is kinda of a joke thread, but I like this info:

Because it is not as fat as the popular .40 and .45 caliber cartridges, a double stack pistol for 9x19 can hold between 50% and 100% more cartridges. The slight energy advantage held by the larger caliber per shot (345 ft. lbs. for the 124 grain 9mm slug compared to 370 ft. lbs. for the 230 grain .45 slug) does not come close to making up the difference. The shooter with a 15 shot 9x19 pistol in his hand controls 5175 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy, which he can deliver to any number of targets between 1 and 15. The shooter with a 7 shot .45 ACP pistol can deliver only 2590 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy to between 1 and 7 targets. This is one very good reason why the U.S. Army adopted the 9x19 and the Beretta M-9 pistol in 1985

Any caliber can be suffecient with the right well placed shot.

Any caliber has the ability to kill.

Different calibers have been made for different types of hunting, plinkin, killing, and people.

No one is the same so why should the ammo be??

I carry a Glock26 with 10+1 of 127gr Win Rangers with a 15rd back up mag. Gun is small, light and concealable. I feel covered in an true SD situation.