Belts, Nylon or leather?

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

I am banking on all of your wisdom! I am also new to carry, that being said do you prefer leather belts or the nylon type? (i.e. wilderness style?)

Just looking for some insight! What has worked best for you all and what felt more secure?

Thanks all!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer leather due to my everyday dress. I work in an office and wear dress/casual pants, so a nice leather brown belt works best for me. I can wear it with that of course, but also with my weekend wear which is usually cargo shorts or jeans, and the brown belt goes with that as well.

• Admin Team

For everyday wear, I go with leather and use a DM Bullard 1.5 inch belt. I've got them in brown and black. I am confident that I could go the rest of my life and never need another belt.

That said, if I know I'm going to be rough with my gear for whatever reason, I go nylon with an Ares Gear Ranger belt - also 1.5 inch double layered SCUBA webbing. Should they bury me in that belt, and by chance an archeologist digs up my remains 10,000 years from now, I'm pretty sure he would be able to remove that belt from my corpse and put it back into service.

Beltman makes a great belt. It really makes a difference when carrying all day.
They have a small ad in the back for the beltman in the back of American handgunner!!

Check it out.

I have 2. They're great belts and handle any handgun and holster combo I have with no problem.

Guest nashvegas

I like both, but find myself using the Wilderness 5 stitch most of the time. I don't have to wear dressy clothes for a job or tuck in a shirt. I like it because of the infinite adjustability... no set holes like a leather belt with a buckle.

Depends on what you wear most often. I have both and wear both. For casual wear nothing beats the Wilderness belt. It is comfortable, but thinner than leather. It is very, very sturdy. What I mlike most about them is the ability to always set it with just the right tension. Because it fastens, with velcro that doesn't slip by the way, you can set it anywhere. With the leather you have to set it by the holes in the belt. That may be slightly too loose or too tight.

A quality nylon is less expensive than a quality leather. Don't skimp on either. If you need a belt for casual and dress casual get the leather.

Leather Crossbreed 1-1/2 for dress. 5.11 Opreator nylon 1.75 for everyday carry. Both are great belts for a little less money than the ones previously mentioned. If I had to choose only one it would be the heavy nylon for the infinite adjustability.

I prefer leather due to my everyday dress. I work in an office and wear dress/casual pants, so a nice leather brown belt works best for me. I can wear it with that of course, but also with my weekend wear which is usually cargo shorts or jeans, and the brown belt goes with that as well.

This. Beltman. Not cheap but worth it.

This. Beltman. Not cheap but worth it.

I've only heard good things about Beltman, but they are expensive. I have a Don Hume leather belt that has served me well over the last 4 years, but it is time to buy something new. It will either be a Beltman, or a 5.11 leather belt. The 5.11 ones are a little cheaper, will still have to spend an additional $15 to have velcro sewn in. For the most part they have gotten good reviews.

...The Wilderness Instructor belt is awesome! I got the 5 stitch version from Palmetto State Armory for around $35. I still want one of the leather ones from Beltman, but the Instructor is a good belt for the price. ...

I lik 'em. Got one on my rotund little body now. Having said all that; if you are a old time kinda guy; i like the "ranger belt" type belts. Here is an extra good one from El Paso Saddlery (...we have both...). #100 "Ranger Belt". For a "ready made" one; i would look at cabelas.

Hope this helps

Leroy

I ended up with a 5.11 Tactical 1.5" Plain Brown Leather.

Works for both work and casual (dress pants and golf / botton down shirt)

I have had it for 6 months with every day use.

Leather is worn / scratched where my holster clip attaches.

Supports an SP101 in a High Noon Hidden Ally very well, even better with a Kholster.

Bought it at Green's Military in Knox, $32.95 plus tax

MADE IN CHINA --- I wish I had saved up my dollars and supported an American manufacturer!!!