Black Panthers in the smokey mountains????

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody seen the notorious Indian falling rock? There are signs up there about him everywhere haha. I'm not going to say he didn't see one I mean no one knows what all is up in those mountains there's no telling really.

Guest Eagle One

Hit the easy button and go to wikipedia and see the pictures and read about the large black felines that live among us and in the woods close to us. Very interesting and informative.

Hit the easy button and go to wikipedia and see the pictures and read about the large black felines that live among us and in the woods close to us. Very interesting and informative.

Just where might this info be?

If you all got 'em close to you, then Friendship must be full of very poor marksmen, and since 1930 no less!

- OS

Guest Bluemax

Guys, although I have never seen one; ther have been accounts of Black Panthers in East Tn for years and years except they were called "panters". There is even a road right off of Chapman Hwy named Panther Creek....just sayin???

Guys, although I have never seen one; ther have been accounts of Black Panthers in East Tn for years and years except they were called "panters". There is even a road right off of Chapman Hwy named Panther Creek....just sayin???

I ran over a dog on Panther Creek Road in my FedEx truck, years ago. Damn near as big as a painter.

NORTH Panther Creek Road is even worse.

There WERE "painters" here up until the 30's. All over eastern US. They were cougars of course, not panthers. But again, there has never ever been a documented case of a black cougar, ever. Anywhere. And they still kill plenty of them out west and up in Alaska and Canada, every year.

Why don't we go for white ones? Albinism is not unheard of in most all mammal species, even homo sapiens. :rofl:

We got an Avenue here in Knoxville named for George Washington, but he hasn't been seen in sometime either. :rofl::)

- OS

There was an article in the "Tennessean" a few days ago that debunked the "black

panther' or any other panther theory. According to the TWRA, there has been no

proof of any panthers in TN. Now believe what you will, or what you may have seen or heard. Also, according to the article, panthers, mountain lions, etc. may be working

their way Eastward, much like coyotes have. Whether they are here or not, may

not be far from actuality.

Coming soon to a neighborhood near you? Stay tuned.

If you have a sighting, etc. get some viable proof. Scat, hair, photo, video, etc.

Something you can take to the bank. Otherwise, it'll be right up there with Bigfoot.

"the truth is out there" X Files.........:blink:

Guest rebeldrummer

I do believe the vid was a joke?!? They were just passing time.....and to clarify for some out there, I realize that is a house/stray cat

Guest .45packer

There is an area outside Dickson, TN where there have been Black Panther sightings. The dogs know when it's in the neighborhood and will not go outside. I saw a cougar in Hermitage, TN several years ago and TWRA said I must have seen a large house cat or a dog. I have photographed cougars at the zoo for several years and know a cougar tail when I see one. The one I saw was disappearing into the tall weeds along Dodson Chapel Road near the Stones River. Anyway, just because YOU haven't seen one doesn't mean that they don't exist.

There is an area outside Dickson, TN where there have been Black Panther sightings. The dogs know when it's in the neighborhood and will not go outside. I saw a cougar in Hermitage, TN several years ago and TWRA said I must have seen a large house cat or a dog. I have photographed cougars at the zoo for several years and know a cougar tail when I see one. The one I saw was disappearing into the tall weeds along Dodson Chapel Road near the Stones River. Anyway, just because YOU haven't seen one doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Trust me, you are crazy. You are just having visual hallucinations. Cougars, panthers, or any large cats do not exist in this area; it is absolutely impossible. None of the experts on this forum have seen them, so they do not exist. Period.

about 20 years ago backpacking in the Cades Cove area we had a large cat come through our campsite that night .it was sniffing around my tent and could see its size from the shadow from the fire light . The next morning we saw its paw prints and they were larger than my hand . There are Panthers/cougars in the eastern TN /Western NC mountains .Just because you didnt see one does not mean it does not exist .

Guest BEARMAN

I remember back in the 80's when the local rock musician Joe Savage, had several of his Cougars/Panthers get loose; one even mauled and killed his young daughter.

The TWRA and a bunch of other LEO agencies w/ helicopters involved, where chasing them around on his farm...don't really remember if they darted them, or outright shot and killed them.

Also, IIRC they may not have caught all of them...hell, I've slept since then! He was even on the local news forgiving the large cats for killing his daughter, and even wanted them back. I don't believe they let him have 'em back though...He was kinda nutty anyways, fwiw.

Joe Savage used these large cats in his rock show; as well as a very large Anaconda. Some of you older members around middle Tennessee may remember this incident.