i have a ? about carry permit

mudstud

I am going to take my carry class this weekend at guns and leather and a guy a there store suggest

that i took my class with a 22 to save some money on ammo rather than my 45.A friend and i was talking

to day he brought up what if the worst was to happen. And i ended up in cort over haveing to use my

gun would that fact that i took my carry class with a 22 and was carring something larger.Is this something

i should be worried about

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose a judicious lawyer could bring up just about anything in court, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. My wife and I took the shooting portion of the course with a 22. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and shoot the 45. No harm in that. What are you going to do if you decide to trade it for a .40 or 9mm in the future? You'd be in the same boat. I am pretty sure there are no laws on the books in Tennessee that address this issue. If you're worried about accuracy, you could have passed the test I took with a slingshot! I think we fired somewhere around 100 rounds? Not really a cost prohibitive deal either way.

Yeah, a good lawyer could make a deal out of it. In a civil trial, they will bring up anything and everything to try to put you in a bad light. Will it matter? Who knows.

Personally, I think that was bad advice from the guys at G&A. Go through the course with the handgun you intend to carry.

Guest The Highlander

Many years ago, I used a S&W Model 19 in .357 magnum (yep, I'm old). My wife used her Glock G19 9mm, but the remainder of her class used various .22's. I even loaned a Ruger Mk II to a guy so he could qualify. His "economical" weapon was not able to fire the required number of rounds.

Is this something i should be worried about

Caliber won’t get you into court. You should be worried about what got you into court, or worry about making sure you don’t end up in court.

You should shoot something close to what you are going to carry.

I’m more concerned that you would be concerned about the cost of one box of ammo for a class. That implies you aren’t going to practice much with what you carry.

Guest bkelm18
Yeah, a good lawyer could make a deal out of it. In a civil trial, they will bring up anything and everything to try to put you in a bad light. Will it matter? Who knows.

Personally, I think that was bad advice from the guys at G&A. Go through the course with the handgun you intend to carry.

What if you want to change carry weapons? Should you go though the course again? No. Being worried about your caliber is miniscule compared to the responsibility of carrying a firearm. If your shoot is good, their lawyer can cry about your caliber all they want.

Guest 808-South
What if you want to change carry weapons? Should you go though the course again? No. Being worried about your caliber is miniscule compared to the responsibility of carrying a firearm.
This^^^^

Thanks for every thing guys that was a quick response I am not worried about the cost of ammo, the gentleman had brought this up. I have much more practice with my 1911 Then any other gun i haved owned.I was wondering about this thanks for all the help

I qualified with what I planned on carrying. My 9mm.

I did too, with my Glock 23. Ammo cost wasn't a concern for me, it was only 50 rounds anyway. The Glock 23 still gets carried most of the time, but I have no hesitations about carrying any other reliable handgun that I own.

Many years ago, I used a S&W Model 19 in .357 magnum (yep, I'm old). My wife used her Glock G19 9mm, but the remainder of her class used various .22's. I even loaned a Ruger Mk II to a guy so he could qualify. His "economical" weapon was not able to fire the required number of rounds.

Buddy I just took my test a few months ago and was the only person using a revolver, which happened to be a S&W .357 model 19-5 :hiding: I love that snubby.

I qualified with my Glock 19. The instructor even made a crack about the fact that no one in the class shot with a .22LR, which it seems is uncommon.

You will fire 48 rounds. That is less than a box of target ammo.

Shoot what you want, in Tennessee you don't have to carry what you qualify with, however, if you intend to carry the .45, I don't see a reason not to qualify with it. I don't ever pass up a chance to shoot my carry.

I'm pretty sure they don't keep track of what caliber you used to complete your course. All that matters is that you pass the shooting drills. It doesn't even have to be your firearm, it could be your neighbors or one you found in the dumpster, though I highly discourage the latter :)

If I were doing it over today, I would qualify with what I was going to carry most of the time, which should also be a weapon you shoot well. It's only 50 rounds, so the cost difference is negligible.

They do log the make, model, and caliber of the qualifying firearm, although they no longer record the serial number.

As of five days ago, when I did the class, the only information they logged is the final scores. Maybe the class likes to have it on file, but it is not required or filed by the state.

They do log the make, model, and caliber of the qualifying firearm, although they no longer record the serial number.
As of five days ago, when I did the class, the only information they logged is the final scores. Maybe the class likes to have it on file, but it is not required or filed by the state.

Same, they only logged the score, not the gun.

Guest scott6261

It was great when my wife and i took ours, everyone in the class but her had a .22 she was using our .40. She was nervous even though she had fired it many times, so she waited until everyone was done. it went something like this, pop pop pop pop pop then the little 110lb wife started with the BANG BANG BANG BANG.

Thanks for every thing guys that was a quick response I am not worried about the cost of ammo, the gentleman had brought this up. I have much more practice with my 1911 Then any other gun i haved owned.I was wondering about this thanks for all the help

Then shoot it. Why?

If I were doing it over today, I would qualify with what I was going to carry most of the time, which should also be a weapon you shoot well. It's only 50 rounds, so the cost difference is negligible.

This is why.

Interesting. They recorded the make, model, and caliber on the from they submitted to the state when I took it several years ago. Apparently that's a change in the requirements.