Over priced firearms

tercel89

Guest TresOsos

Not to defend said retailer but if you've been to the grocery store lately.

Some of this is inflation and due to the dollars loss of value how much I don't know.

I'm sure Glocks cost to manufacture has gone up also. You can't honestly think the price

of goods are going to stay the same as the dollar devalues. We have seen some deflation

the last couple of years but that won't last forever.

If it is the establishment off of exit 89 then they due tend to like thier inventory.

It seems to me there would be more money in moving inventory than overpricing goods,

but then I've never run a gunstore.

Here is a link to Glocks Retail price list for 2010 its suggested retail for a Model 34 at $679.

Considering the economy a $20 increase is not unreasonable, sad but not unreasonable.

http://www.teamglock.com/download/FRM-72-11.pdf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I don't understand the mentality.

You are unhappy with the price yet you are unwilling to actively do anything about it other than storm out then bitch about it on the internet.

Mike

There is nothing to do about it , that is the shop's price and I cant change that . So I walked out . I am just shooting the bull on here and sharing information with people.

There is nothing to do about it , that is the shop's price and I cant change that . So I walked out . I am just shooting the bull on here and sharing information with people.

But you can change it. By asking a simple question you can change the price.

Mike

To defend both shops I believe are mentioned here, they both have awesome inventories and while they both seem to run MSRP pricing, if you want a particular pistol and no one else has it, they pretty much will. When LCP's were impossible to get, I walked into one of these shops and paid $347 for it because they had it and I wanted it. Same with the other shop, I was looking for a used Kahr PM9 in black....no where to be found, but the other shop had one in stock.

I would caution you about trading at the latter shop, but again they are in the business to make money and if people are willing to pay it, then that's there problem. I was actually in another shop that sells new Gen 3's for $515 on the shelf and I was telling him that I can't believe some shops get $575 or more. He just laughed and said, if people are willing to pay, then good for the shop.

Guest nicemac

I bought a refrigerator Saturday. It was $3000 new four years ago. The lady asked me $850, which seemed like a good price. I offered her $500 and she took it without hesitation. Is that a low-ball? I think it fits the definition (I offered her 40% under asking price). Should she have been offended? I saved $350 (40%) just for asking. What is wrong with that? The first price she asked was fair. She was obviously willing to take less.

She didn't have to sell.

I didn't have to buy.

Because of those two statements, I do not understand people who won't make an offer in those situations. Nor do I understand people that get offended when someone offers less, even way less. I have gotten several good deals for offering a lot less than asking price.

Guest Victor9er

Two words:

Glock World - Glock 34 Pistol - GlockWorld.com

That said, I'm all for supporting local buisness and I'd personally much rather buy locally from my favorite gun store than order something off the internet... even if they're an extra $20 or $30 higher. But now if you simply can't find one in your area that's even close to a good price that you can find online, well I guess it's up to you.

Guest nicemac
But you can change it. By asking a simple question you can change the price.

Mike

I have bought several guns at the Catfish House. They have always been very much in line with market prices on the guns I bought from them, including the BEST price locally on a couple of them. They almost always cut me a deal if I buy more than one at a time or include accessories with the purchase, sometimes without me even asking.

I bought a refrigerator Saturday. It was $3000 new four years ago. The lady asked me $850, which seemed like a good price. I offered her $500 and she took it without hesitation. Is that a low-ball? I think it fits the definition (I offered her 40% under asking price). Should she have been offended? I saved $350 (40%) just for asking. What is wrong with that? The first price she asked was fair. She was obviously willing to take less.

She didn't have to sell.

I didn't have to buy.

Because of those two statements, I do not understand people who won't make an offer in those situations. Nor do I understand people that get offended when someone offers less, even way less. I have gotten several good deals for offering a lot less than asking price.

:up:

Well played, sir.

• Administrator

Meh... any object is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Some shops operate in a bubble and charge higher prices than their competitors, and get away with it because their clientele either also operate in a bubble or perceive some value in buying from that shop instead of their competitors. It's called capitalism. :up:

As Mike suggested, try to negotiate. If they won't negotiate, take your money elsewhere. Not a big deal really. Most of us know where the $$$ shops are in our respective areas, and we avoid them if we're looking for a deal.

Like I said, I don't understand the mentality.

You are unhappy with the price yet you are unwilling to actively do anything about it other than storm out then bitch about it on the internet.

Mike

Free market capitalism...How does it work?!?

Baloney - He will take his business elsewhere and buy it from someone who has a better price.

I am one of the folks who will buy locally if the price is right.

If it isn't I will find a better way to buy and not feel sorry at all for the local business.

If done right a local business has their hands of the pulse of a market and can provide both service and price.

The gun shops in chattanooga S-U-C-K-E-D for decades because of the reasons given by the OP. I wouldn't have lifted a finger to save any of their jobs. It would bad enough to where I wanted these people to be jobless.

Everyone in the area thought the same and a place called Ammo Dump and GT distributors embraced the local market and addressed the issue. Making bucketloads of money in the process despite having much lower margins.

Businesses price their product the way they want and of course they want to maximize their profit. Buyers either buy the product at that price or they don't and go somewhere else (or just don't buy at all)...what's wrong with that?

Complaining about a gun shop's prices seems both silly and a waste of time.

Most plastic pistols I can't really justify paying more than $500 new for one. The exception being H&K, and there is only one model that holds my interest (and I still would not want to pay more than $600 for it) - the rest shoot good, but not good enough for me to justify spending the cash for one. For me, $500 new is still a stretch. Maybe that is why I have almost sworn off new & used sales from shops, and am strictly private party sales. I will still look, but I don't plan on buying unless it is an actual deal that I find (ie. mis-pricing at a corporate chain like gander mountain).

$400 tops for me and it's the Sig Pro only and that includes shipping, FFL and background check :up:

I can honestly say that I have paid retail price for 2 guns. My G19 and my old Kimber ProCarryII. Those purchases were at very reasonable prices.

Went back to purchase my G26 at the same place I got my Kimber at, only to get gouged and poked on the price. Over priced at $565 and the sales man admitted it was the only one they had left, if I wanted it I could buy it at their price. The day before the price was at $499 like every other Glock model on the shelf. Jacked up the price because it was the only one?? No thank you.

I know I saw brand new in the box glock 22's the other day for $409 with 3 mags at omb express.

Granted you still have to pay a transfer but that is only $20 or so and you save tax as well. I see shops around here selling them for $509 and you still have to pay tax. Trade-in Glock 22's are $299 and people still try to sell them for almost $500 used.

I don't think that the price I pay for a gun should depend on my skill(or lack of it) at bargaining like an Arab trader.

I guess to get the best price, you have to convince the seller that you really don't want it. But you would probably buy it if the price was $xxx, but I don't really need it or want it, etc, etc, etc.

Why is buying a gun any different than buying a loaf of bread? Cars are a different matter. It's expected that you have to haggle with car salesmen. That's why I hate buying cars. Now my Dad loved the haggle. He traded cars every two years and looked forward to it. I buy a car only after the wheels fall off and hate having to deal with the salesmen!

I'm guessing you guys paid asking price for your houses too?

At a "normal" retail store I can understand not trying to bargain. But at gun shops and pawn shops it is almost expected. It always has been. The worse they can say is no.

You make a good point. I have one exception. My local dealer always says no when I attempt to obtain a lower price on a weapon, so I've taken to the internet to get my fix.

I don't know about you but I don't usually buy used bread. :up:

Agreed, lol.

Although I hear some people like to buy coffee beans that were once passed through a goats intestine. Maybe you guys can make that your next rant, lmao.

:up:

There is no difference in a new or used gun. Both have margins and it's up to the shop to decide how much they want to make on a particular item. If they don't want to negotiate that's fine, it's how they chose to operate. But if you don't at least ask you wont ever know.

Mike

I can't speak for other shops, but the shops that I'm familiar with (places where I've worked or was associated with) there's much more room for negotiating on a used gun. If a shop has competitive prices, they probably aren't making much on a new gun. That said however, I'd think that a shop selling Glock 34s for $699 should be making a pretty good margin. Our price is $80 less than that, and we have a little room to negotiate even then.

As to the OP, he didn't really ask, but the MSRP on the 34 is only $679 according to two different distributors I just checked, so they appear to be selling it for more than MSRP. I didn't think that happened much with non-collectable stuff.

I don't know about you but I don't usually buy used bread.

I might consider that if I can get a good enough deal. :)

Guest peacexxl

I personally despise haggling. It is too much like shopping and as I always tell my wife, "I don't shop, I buy". I pick out what I want and research the best price on the innerweb, then I get it from there. Some people like or even love bargin hunting and negotiating, but I don't. So the idea that there is something wrong with expecting to be able to walk into a place and get something for a price that isn't hyper inflated to either make room for haggling or put your kids through med school because someone prefers not to negotiate doesn't sit well with me.

Personally I think that walking away and complaining on the internet about not agreeing with pricing or other business practices is doing something about it. Good or bad there is no advertising like word of mouth and negative word of mouth spreads even faster than positive. Sure those that sell at inflated prices may make an immediate profit but how much are they losing out on because people have heard that they don't mind gouging those who are not in the know?