Pocket holster insanity

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never pocket carry so my first thought was no way, but after some thought it is in the wallet form and if you were to hand a BG your wallet he would be in for a big surprise. Remember the trigger pull on most of these "belly" guns are like 6 pounds

People have been carrying guns - primarily revolvers - un-holstered in their pocket since the pistol was invented... what's the big deal? If you've got a gun in your pocket, you simply pay attention to what else you put in there, or how you put your hand into the pocket, or how you go to remove the gun from your pocket. Proper trigger finger control is part of EVERY other draw method or technique - it just means you need to pay attention to what you are doing (shouldn't you be paying attention in the first place?).

I pocket carry daily in my right front pocket. When armed (which is every day), that pocket is used for nothing else. Nothing is going to accidentally pull the absurdly long and heavy trigger pull of my P3AT (short of an intentional pull of the trigger) - because nothing is near the trigger in that pocket unless I am about to draw the gun. If there were something in the pocket to get snagged on, then I'm carrying in a pretty useless manner... so I make sure a clean draw is going to happen for me to continue to pocket carry.

WWMike - I think the differentiation in that and a wallet holster is that the wallet holsters conceal that it is actually a gun, and that device makes it pretty clear "yep, that's a gun" once it is out and in the open. At least, that is what I recall from the last time I looking into the differences.

The big problem isn't when you are casually reaching for some change in your pocket. The problem is when you are frantically reaching in your pocket for your gun. 6 pounds isn't a heavy trigger when you are diving hard in your pocket to get at your gun.

Dolomite

How is this different from any other draw in a dangerous situation? Or even those not-so-dangerous situations? lol

Accidental Discharge - YouTube - classic, shot on re-holster

- shot on draw, paddle style holster

Point is - at the end of the day it comes down to arms control, right? You gotta control those arms of yours and those marauding bands of fingers at their disposal ;)

Guest Broomhead
I thought the ATF ruled that these wallet holsters, that were capable of firing while in the holster, were now "AOW" and had to be registered.

That was my understanding as well.

Guest capt usa

I pocket carry a BUG (with nothing else in the pocket) and believe I can draw as fast out of the holster as I could with the holster. Looks like an ouch waiting to happen.

+2 on that. Its just like the NAA wallet holsters. Shoot through holster makes it an AOW.

My understanding is that the difference is that this style of 'holster' exposes the top of the gun, the slide, etc. I guess that since it looks like a gun with a piece of leather attached rather than being a 'wallet' that is actually a firearm (with the firearm completely hidden/disguised by the 'wallet') they can get away with it.

For me, though, it isn't worth the hassle of testing that theory - especially for a 'holster' that does expose the trigger and that is going to make getting an effective grip nearly impossible. That latter part of that statement is not mere supposition - I have actually held one of these with a Kel Tec in it at a gun show and it felt just about as awkward as it looks (at least in my hands.)

This is an accident waiting to happen. If you don't want your pocket carry to print, get a half a wallet or something similar. I used a hard backing for an old notepad, but it could be anything.

Wrap a 2" or 3" wide cloth-elastic band around the bottom to retain the weapon to the half wallet. Then, stitch the elastic band to the wallet around the trigger guard to hold it in place and ensure the trigger is covered. The half wallet goes on the outside of the weapon to prevent printing. It works well for hip pocket carry, but might need some extra modifications for front pocket carry.

I personally would never carry anything else in that pocket while carrying.