Straight Razor.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here I thought I was somewhat old-fashioned actually using a multi-blade safety razor rather than some electronic monstrosity. Now I have to go and rethink everything... :D

I would be fishing my right cheek out of the sink. The only reason I'm alive today is plastic razors.

Ditto.

I tried to learn to do it with a couple of my grandfather's blades in my 30's. Fellow who used straight razors helped me out, loaned me stropping stuff, assured me they were quality razors, and approved the level of sharpening. I gave it about a month, was always a time consuming and friggin dangerous process, hardly ever got a good shave blood free. I gave up. Eventually eBayed them.

- OS

Nice, it's funny I just spent probably 3 hrs reading an searching straight razors. (while watching the Braves tank another game)

Where did you end up ordering from? Did it come honed? Did you buy a strop too? Is this too many questions? :D

I ordered this one from amazon. It came honed. I did end up picking up a strop and a honing stone as well.

Mike

When I first saw the title, I thought the OP was going to talk about carrying a straight razor in his sock.

I shave with an old safety razor that uses the double-edged blades. The blades are getting a little harder to find (although Walmart usually has them.) I also use a shaving mug with shaving soap and brush. I find that gives me a better shave with fewer nicks than shaving with any of the 35 blade super-mega cartridge shavers and canned shaving cream, shaving gel, etc. Bonus - it is cheaper, too. Much cheaper.

I have a couple of straight razors and 'sort of' collect them. I think they are cool looking and some are danged near works of art (the blade in the OP, for instance, is beautiful.) I don't shave with them, though, as I prefer my throat in its current, unslit condition.

I might as well run an electric sander across my neck as use an electric razor as the effect on my skin would be about the same.

Photos of my dad's razor from his college days--graduated in 1928. This was supposed to be a big improvement over a straight razor as the bar pushed down on the skin for a closer shave. Sheffield Steel blade snaps on to the handle inside the case for storage and sharpening. Has a very fine stone on one side and a strop on the other. All fits into one neat package. Made in England by Rolls Razor.

Pictures by morelandr - Photobucket

Colt 45 was in my father-in-law's collection. Serial # is 299900. Shipped to Army April 1918.

Real barbers are a dying breed. No one is taking up the art anymore. I've been to a couple. Got brave and asked for a straight shave once. Now, this old guy knew his stuff. I think he loans his razor to Jewish ants for circumcision. Yikes that thing was sharper than anything I ever seen.

If you've never had a straight shave, I don't know how to describe it. I'm not convinced, we as men, were ever meant to be shaved THAT close. Whew! I didn't even have stubble for a few days, I think it was terrified to come out.

Guest lostpass
Real barbers are a dying breed. No one is taking up the art anymore. I've been to a couple. Got brave and asked for a straight shave once. Now, this old guy knew his stuff. I think he loans his razor to Jewish ants for circumcision. Yikes that thing was sharper than anything I ever seen.

If you've never had a straight shave, I don't know how to describe it. I'm not convinced, we as men, were ever meant to be shaved THAT close. Whew! I didn't even have stubble for a few days, I think it was terrified to come out.

I had a straight shave once and I thought it was fantastic. Once I got over the fear I found it relaxing and enjoyable. I'd probably do it again if I found a place that would.

I had a straight shave once and I thought it was fantastic. Once I got over the fear I found it relaxing and enjoyable. I'd probably do it again if I found a place that would.

Oh, I've had several in barbershops back in the day. But having a pro versus moi doing it is a big diff! :D

- OS