Rossi Circuit Judge...........fad or not?

I think its very attractive, and would make an interesting first shotgun/rifle for a kid. But apart from the cosmetic look of it, I have no use for it. You cannot hunt with it --- it cannot be plugged to hold 3 in any way that satisfies the game wardens. Its not exaclty skeet friendly, though one might get used to it and do well if you can operate a long DA pull. At the best, to me, its a nifty but low capacity carbine/toy. If I had an infinite budget, I would get one just because of how it looks, but I can't pay that price for something to look at, I can click on the picture once in a while for free.

I think its very attractive, and would make an interesting first shotgun/rifle for a kid. But apart from the cosmetic look of it, I have no use for it. You cannot hunt with it --- it cannot be plugged to hold 3 in any way that satisfies the game wardens. Its not exactly skeet friendly, though one might get used to it and do well if you can operate a long DA pull. At the best, to me, its a nifty but low capacity carbine/toy. If I had an infinite budget, I would get one just because of how it looks, but I can't pay that price for something to look at, I can click on the picture once in a while for free.

:D Can't hunt with it? The .45LC would make an ideal brush gun around here. Add to it the fact that it's very well balanced and extremely compact it would make a great brush gun for TN. It comes with plugs for the cylinders to satisfy the migratory bird thing.

When they came out I thought they were gimmicky just like I thought the Judge to be. After handling them and hearing from folks who have them I'm come to see the utility of the platform. They are a niche gun but a niche they fill well.

No more so than owning a tacticool, pimped out AR. Actually, any AR for that matter.

That just hurts my heart Robo. :) An AR is one of the most prctical guns out there as long as it has enough power for the job. .223 is limited, but you're not locked into that. I kinda agree with the pimped out tacticool statement.

The circuit judge isn't for me, but I can see where it would be for some. It is kinda cool.

:) Can't hunt with it? The .45LC would make an ideal brush gun around here. Add to it the fact that it's very well balanced and extremely compact it would make a great brush gun for TN. It comes with plugs for the cylinders to satisfy the migratory bird thing. When they came out I thought they were gimmicky just like I thought the Judge to be. After handling them and hearing from folks who have them I'm come to see the utility of the platform. They are a niche gun but a niche they fill well.
You can't hunt with it AS A SHOTGUN for birds(?)***. Im sure its fine for deer or whatever when using 45's etc, the issue was using it as a 410 bird gun. Sorry if that was unclear! (*** is there a limit on shotgun rounds for small game? I do not know!). I know it comes with plugs but have heard that some wardens do not consider that to be enough. Is the SA trigger so bad? I picked on up at a show but I cannot remember the SA pull. I know the DA is awful, but then again, most are. Edited by Jonnin

The Circuit Judge is actually the only Judge I'd be interesting in owning. I'll lump S&W's 'Governor' in there, too. My attention was first caught by revolver long guns when I saw a couple of Civil War era revolving rifles in a museum. In fact, I even made a post or two on gun boards that I wished someone would do a 'mass market' one a couple of years before the idea of a 'Circuit Judge' was even mentioned.

I have to agree with robtattoo that, for me, a Circuit Judge would honestly be a more 'practical' thing to own than an AR15. Personally, I think I'd have more fun with a Circuit Judge than an AR, as well. As far as actually buying one, a Circuit Judge is on my 'want' list but not at the top - it is certainly lower down on the list than a .38/.357 lever gun.

You can't hunt with it AS A SHOTGUN for birds(?)***. Im sure its fine for deer or whatever when using 45's etc, the issue was using it as a 410 bird gun. Sorry if that was unclear! (*** is there a limit on shotgun rounds for small game? I do not know!). I know it comes with plugs but have heard that some wardens do not consider that to be enough. Is the SA trigger so bad? I picked on up at a show but I cannot remember the SA pull. I know the DA is awful, but then again, most are.

Only migratory birds. Turkey falls in that catagory.

Turkey is under the big game on page 18.

Migratory birds per TWRA hunting guide 2011 on page 20

Coots

Crow

Gallinules/Rails

Mourning Dove

Waterfowl: Ducks & Geese

Wilson Snipe

Woodcock

Everything else pretty much good to go with the right ammo I believe.

Edited by vontar
Guest Aces&8s
I don't think the gases vent back at you. There is some sort of seal on the cylinder.

There have been revolving rifles for over 150 years, not a new fad.

Mike.357 is right. There are gas shields or deflectors on both sides of the cylinder that redirect any gas and powder residue away from the face, and keep it from burning your support arm. I really enjoyed shooting the one I had a chance to try out, and if I weren't hip-deep in some AR builds, I would probably buy a CJ. Still might sometime down the road...

What if you had a major malfunction like a double charge of powder? Do you really want the cylinder mere inchs from your face when it grenades?

This wasnt an issue with older revolvong rifles as they were chambered for blackpowder cartridges and couldnt be double charged and didnt operate at the pressures that modern. 45colt does. .410shotgun shells do not concern me in this instance

• 2 years later...

Well, good or bad...I now own one of them, so I'll find out first hand. I have done some research, and supposedly the gun is pretty accurate with the .45LC, but not the .410 slugs. Something about that difference in dimension of a .45 & .410, allowing smaller .410 slug to slop around on it's way down the barrel...and then go any which way on exit. There are some you-tube vids of people using it for the bunnies with dogs. Some have indicated it might work as a tree rat harvester.

To me, it's a fun gun to plink around with. I have all of the hunting and target shooting bases covered with other guns, so the utility of this little jewel is yet to be determined. It has a 4X32 scope that I may take off and use the fluorescent tube sights, green on the rear sight & red/orange on the front. Look out tin cans...here I come!