Don't Leave Home With Out It

Dennis1209

I'm not the type to leave home with everything I possibly could use, I like to keep it light and simple. Yea, I have all the EDC gear; CCW, single and double mag carriers, a host of holsters, cell phone, SOG knife, Surefire flash lights, etc. Normally when I leave to run errands or go to the store during the day I grab my Kimber CDP II or Pro Raptor and OWB Alessi holster, wallet and keys and call it good. On many occasions I had kicked myself in the gluteus maximus for not grabbing my cell phone.

Anyway, for the second time in several years I was in a Wal-Mart and they lost electricity. Naturally both times I was in the center or toward the back of the store (sporting goods section :)). You wouldn't believe how dark it gets there when the lights go out. They have a few perimeter emergency flood lights but, not enough light to keep from bumping into things until your eyes adjust. Both times the employees became unglued, yelling at everyone to move to the front or leave the store. Going around with flash lights and herding people up. Right then and there I decided to always grab my little Surefire E2E and clip it on my belt, it sure would have been nice to adequately see where I was headed.

Come to think of it, I guess when the lights and security cameras go out, it's a prime time feeding frenzy for thieves. Might as well buy me a bat belt also and bring the cell phone along for the ride.

Moral of my story: Who would think you would need a flash light during the day? You guys ever come across a situation where you needed a light during the day doing errands / going to the store?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The three things I use the most of the stuff I carry:

- magnifying lens

- Swiss Tech multi-tool on keychain, mostly the screwdrivers

- pocket flashlight (just used it to look at a rifle bore yesterday; often used to see detailed work, sometimes used in conjunction with the magnifier; just held it for a guy to look under a car dash other day, have used it for similar, fuses and whatnot, used it to look at a wonky emergency brake cable recently; often walk after dark, use it to see some little thing in detail, dropped my Sansa once, would never have found it without light, etc etc ).

- OS

Guest WyattEarp

i haz a smartphone with an LED flashlight built into it and an app to turn it on and off, my HCP and my carry weapon discreetly tucked out of sight. don't need anything else. :)

Guest Broomhead
i haz a smartphone with an LED flashlight built into it and an app to turn it on and off, my HCP and my carry weapon discreetly tucked out of sight. don't need anything else. :)

This. The light on my Droid 2 is super bright, almost as much as my 9-LED gun show flashlight. I carry the flashlight in my messenger bag's front pocket, the phone is in a holster on my belt. It comes in handy very frequently, 2-3 times a week at least.

Guest 73challenger

I don't leave without my iPhone and my mini-grip. I carried a Fenix E01 on my keys for a year but the loop broke. I am getting a E05 to replace it for Christmas. I also carry a Spyderco lady bug on my keys.

I never go anywhere without my Surefire back up. Ever!

The ex and I got locked in the Alcoa Wally World a few years ago during a storm when the power went out. They rushed us up front on the PA and then wouldn't let us out. I informed them they could let us out or I would let us out. I informed them it would be cheaper to let us out if THEY opened the door than if I did,they immediately saw my logic and opened the door.

I'm not the type to leave home with everything I possibly could use, I like to keep it light and simple. Yea, I have all the EDC gear; CCW, single and double mag carriers, a host of holsters, cell phone, SOG knife, Surefire flash lights, etc. Normally when I leave to run errands or go to the store during the day I grab my Kimber CDP II or Pro Raptor and OWB Alessi holster, wallet and keys and call it good. On many occasions I had kicked myself in the gluteus maximus for not grabbing my cell phone.

Anyway, for the second time in several years I was in a Wal-Mart and they lost electricity. Naturally both times I was in the center or toward the back of the store (sporting goods section :D). You wouldn't believe how dark it gets there when the lights go out. They have a few perimeter emergency flood lights but, not enough light to keep from bumping into things until your eyes adjust. Both times the employees became unglued, yelling at everyone to move to the front or leave the store. Going around with flash lights and herding people up. Right then and there I decided to always grab my little Surefire E2E and clip it on my belt, it sure would have been nice to adequately see where I was headed.

Come to think of it, I guess when the lights and security cameras go out, it's a prime time feeding frenzy for thieves. Might as well buy me a bat belt also and bring the cell phone along for the ride.

Moral of my story: Who would think you would need a flash light during the day? You guys ever come across a situation where you needed a light during the day doing errands / going to the store?

I've never had to use it during the day at all but I always have my flashlights on me. I keep one on me at all times and another spare in my car. My CCW gear is just my gun, whichever holster I wear for the day (all IWB), cell phone, keys, and we're ready to go. I've been wanting to get a knife but apparently not bad enough.

I find that my cell phone face generates plenty of light. I hate carrying around a bunch of clutter. I'm annoyed that I have more than 5 keys on my key chain and that keyless entry remotes are so big.

Amen to that. In this age of nano-technology, why are key-fobs so friggin' big?