Looking for a mid-size 9mm

JWKilgore

[EDIT: The title should read "Looking for a mid-size 9mm recommendation" - this isn't a WTB post]

I recently purchased a Walther PPS 9mm. I bought it mainly for myself, and I absolutely love it, but a secondary goal was to loan it to my girlfriend who currently only has a S&M .22 target pistol (I don't know the model). She's dead-on with the .22, but unfortunately she can't shoot the 9mm very well at all. She's jerking the trigger, and I can see her pushing the gun forward and down to pre-compensate for the kick just as she fires. Basically it kicks too much and she over compensates.

Other than simply practicing more, is there an exercise she can work with to help counteract this?

The next option is to get her a different gun so I can get my PPS back, preferably sticking with a 9mm for ammunition compatibility (we practice with WWB-FMJ). She shot my brother's Ruger P98 last weekend and hated it. It's too big and heavy. So maybe something in between the two... larger and heavier than the single-stack PPS to give her more confidence with the grip and more weight to soak up recoil, but smaller and lighter than the P98. I was thinking a Springfield XD9 or a Glock 19, but I'll have to get her up here for a visit at the same time I can find one to shoot.

If that doesn't work, I may try her on a different caliber, maybe a .380.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock 19 or 26 with mag extension. S&W M&P or M&P C. Ruger SR 9 or SR9c. Taurus P111. There's more but the best bet is have her go by a good gun store and see what she find's to feel best in her hand. Then find a range that rent's that gun or someone who own's one like it and have her run some rounds through it. This way she make's an informed decision and you come across as the smart guy who let her decide.

My wife and I shopped for the same thing about three months ago and ended up with a glock 19.... She was shooting my ruger mark II 22 very well and it has taken several sessions at the range for her to adjust also.... Overall she loves it, however may want to look at extended slide and mag release if you go the g 19 route. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Another XD vote. I have the G19 and XD (well, Gen1 HS2000 but same thing). The XD has a smaller grip and is a softer shooter. I have also heard the M&P is a softie as well. Then of course, the Walther PPQ, which is also on the small side grip-wise, but probably hits a little harder than the others.

I recently migrated from a Ruger P95 to a CZ 75 Compact and I can see it being a female friendly alternative to a P98. A friend has a SW LS3917 9mm (Ladysmith) that is very similar in size. My hands aren't small, but the P95 was feeling a little too bulky for me. The CZ is thinner, very comfortable grip, much better carry option and still has high capacity (there's a 10 shot model and a 14 shot model). I'm actually going to the range for my first outing with it tomorrow and will file a report.

Guest Lester Weevils
If she wants to carry, buy her a revolver. If she wants to play, try a Beretta PX4 Compact.

Good idea!

Well, even a full-size PX4 or Stoegar Cougar would be a mid-size gun, at least as far as the length goes? They are about the same length as my Kahr P9, which is definitely a mid-size gun. But much fatter than a P9.

That is assuming the primary purpose is range toy. They could be carried, but more difficult to conceal. I can shoot a PX4 or Cougar better than the P9, but carry the P9 because it is so thin and light. The P9 is not unpleasant to shoot at the range, but the long smooth trigger is more of a challenge for target accuracy. I think a Glock 26 would also be more difficult to conceal, though the profile is similar to the P9.

Glocks have about as fat a grip as PX4 or Cougar. If I had to choose between fat pistols, the Beretta triggers are more fun at the range. I would rather shoot a G26 for fun than my P9, but also would rather shoot a PX4 for fun than a G26.

The answer to "looking for a pistol" is always a Glock.

Uhhh.....NOT ALWAYS! :P:D I'm not Glock guy....not because I don't like them, but they just don't fit my hands very well.

Lots of good suggestions already, but take a look at the Kahr K9 (all steel) or P9 (same as K9, but polymer frame). A Sig 239 is also a nice choice. These are all single stack pistols of very high quality (and prices), but they may fit your wife's hands a little better than some of the other suggestions. The Kahrs are DAO, but I believe the Sig 239 can be found either as DAO or DA/SA.

It sounds like you guys just need to go looking for a 9mm larger than the PPS. I'm a Glock 19/26 fan myself, but the slight extra weight of a XDSC or an M&PC would be an advantage. I've done Sigs in the past and could handle 239 ownership again but I feel a Glock 26 has an advantage over it. I would stay away from most Kahr's, LC9, Bersa's to name a few. Nothing against them but you would have the same complaints. Someone recommended a Taurus PT111 which would be great but they require testing for reliability. The one I had was great for a few hundred rounds and then the mags got weak and they startring causing issues(this is common) so I just traded it off. New mags were expensive for it.

I'd like to say Glock 19 or 26 because that's what my wife and I prefer and love. If those are too "blocky" for you, the Sig 239 is a soft recoiling pistol, but you give up some rounds due to single stack mags. Most of the newer micro 9mm are a little more to handle

Like other posters said, let her pick the gun. Not only does the gun have to "fit" her hand the length of pull has to be correct so that she doesn't "twist" the gun in her hand to get her finger pad on the trigger. She also has to feel comfortable with the magazine as well as other controls. Lastly, if she can't easily rack the slide, ...well you get the point.

older S&W semi autos are cheap and shoot great...check out a 915 for instance ,250-350 bucks,15 rounds,DA/SA trigger that will put a smile on anyones face

and its all METAL...... :P

I've loved some 915's and 5906's in my life but there big. The 469 is a little bit more on the concealed carry menu or the 6906/6904/6946. a CS9/lady smith9 can sometimes be found decently priced.

[EDIT: The title should read "Looking for a mid-size 9mm recommendation" - this isn't a WTB post]

I recently purchased a Walther PPS 9mm. I bought it mainly for myself, and I absolutely love it, but a secondary goal was to loan it to my girlfriend who currently only has a S&M .22 target pistol (I don't know the model). She's dead-on with the .22, but unfortunately she can't shoot the 9mm very well at all. She's jerking the trigger, and I can see her pushing the gun forward and down to pre-compensate for the kick just as she fires. Basically it kicks too much and she over compensates.

Other than simply practicing more, is there an exercise she can work with to help counteract this?

The next option is to get her a different gun so I can get my PPS back, preferably sticking with a 9mm for ammunition compatibility (we practice with WWB-FMJ). She shot my brother's Ruger P98 last weekend and hated it. It's too big and heavy. So maybe something in between the two... larger and heavier than the single-stack PPS to give her more confidence with the grip and more weight to soak up recoil, but smaller and lighter than the P98. I was thinking a Springfield XD9 or a Glock 19, but I'll have to get her up here for a visit at the same time I can find one to shoot.

If that doesn't work, I may try her on a different caliber, maybe a .380.

Anything smaller than the ruger is very likely going to kick as much or more. The glock kicks more for sure, though the 19 is one of the better glock models in that regard. Is half a pound of weight worth 30% more kick? Actually I think the pps and glock are going to be about identical, with the pps actually having slightly less recoil! I am not sure about the xd, but I suspect it is also about like the pps. That weight difference is so small, I wonder if instead the issue is balance (front heavy ruger) and not actual mass? I suspect this is the case, and if so.... I will say get a cz rami. A smallish gun that has recoil no worse than your ruger but is very well balanced and a great shooter. I see you are in chattanooga, so you could try mine to test the recoil.

I could also let her try the beretta nano, px4 subcompact (but its a 40, so the recoil is going to have to be taken with a grain of salt). Could also try a makarov, its between a 380 and 9mm, though current factory ammo is closer to 380 (for some reason they have, over the last decade, greatly reduced the power of the loads).

Edited by Jonnin

I really like the Ruger SRC9 and the Taurus pt111 millenium. These are both double stacked, so you can carry more rounds than a single stack.

They fill your hand pretty good for a good grip and the kick is not bad at all.

The next would be the Ruger LC9. Smaller than the other 2 and single stack so it is thinner. Not sure about the kick on these.

IMO, the others people mention are more full sized. I used to carry the G27 which is a sub compact, but it's really hard

for me to consider that a mid size when there are others that fill that wording better.

Edited by fivestring63
Guest nicemac

Put a Crimson Trace grip on it and let her dry fire it (a lot) aimed at a small target on the wall in the house. The laser will magnify her jerking motions and help her to see what is happening without a loud bang and the increased recoil of the 9 over the .22. She can practice her technique and get the mechanics right before firing another round.