Let's talk about Kentucky...

Murgatroy

I was just given on offer I can't refuse.

More money, less hours, a much better title and less stress.

The catch?

Move to Louisville Kentucky.

I am married. With a young school age daughter. My wife is a Yankee. Sorry, an Ohioan. I am technically a native Tennessean, though I didn't move here until I was ten. I was born in Washington, my father was stationed there in the Navy. Both of my parents are native Tennesseans.

My mother, one sister and one brother live in Tennessee. A few hours south, where I was raised. My Stepfather (even though he divorced my mother) and several cousins live in the same area to the south. Other than a few visits down there a year, I wouldn't say that I am close with any of them. Visits with my Stepfather are always pleasant and far too infrequent though.

My wife has no family here. I have lived in East Tennessee on and off for nearly twenty five years. I went to school in Indianapolis, where I have a brother and a sister, and returned to Knoxville. I have been in Knoxville for the better part of fifteen years.

This move is a no brainer. I have been with the company I am with now for seven years. In that time I have have watched as we went from a nothing group of miscreants to an entity that has become a local force to be reckoned with and after a buy-out/de-merger is a Fortune 500 Corporation. This is a large step up from where I am now in the scheme of things.

However, I have misgivings about moving.

I like Knoxville and East Tennessee. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it is like Baby Bear's porridge, it is just right. I have the mountains and the ability to pursue my hobbies, which aren't vast, but fit the area perfect. I like driving fast through the mountains and shooting things.

I am certain I will accept the position and make the move, but I am just curious about what other's have to say about Louisville and Kentucky in general. This is more of an spoken (as it were) musing than anything else.

The crime rate is higher in Louisville than in Knoxville, but from what I can see in my searching, the cost of living is similar.

Kentucky has a state income tax doesn't it? I am reading a 2%-6% income tax with a 5% sales tax?

What about the gun laws? From what I can tell they are very similar to Tennessee, however they allow carry in a vehicle. I am not one for open carry, but they only issue a concealed carry permit? What about Class III? I don't currently own anything, but the idea appeals to me.

One real downer is the Vehicle Emissions Testing. We don't have that in Knoxville, and my current vehicle (which is heavily modified) wouldn't pass in any way shape or form. So this would include the added cost of a new car. My family vehicle is fine and my collector car would be exempt.

Input and opinions?

Sounds to me like you are headed to Louisville!

I've got a friend that lives next to the Ft Knox base which isn't far from Louisville and he loves it there. Never lived there myself but as in your case you just never know when things will change!

I don't know anything about Louisville but I have visited once and in a way it was similar to Knoxville. Seemed to be about the same size and the atmosphere was on par with and other mid size city in the South. I don't think you would have any trouble adjusting.

Good luck Murg! Still hate that we somehow never met up at Norris.

• Administrator

Open carry in Kentucky does not require a permit. That's why their HCP is actually a CCP. Without a permit, concealing your firearm is illegal.

I was born and raised in Kentucky and lived there for 25 of my 39 years, albeit not in Louisville. Louisville would not be my first choice of cities but it is far from the last I would pick either. There are certainly some very nice parts of Louisville to live in and it seems that the downtown district is really trying to reinvent itself.

I'd go for it. You can always move back here later if you don't like it, or want to retire in Tennessee.

Our Regional HQ is in Louisville. It is either there or Plano Texas, which would be the next move. I was kinda hoping to be able to do the job from my current office, but political issues will prevent that. I completely understand, and in one sense am relieved, but I am hesitant about relocation.

I rent, we intended to purchase a home within the next two years so this stays mostly within those goals.

I am currently looking at the area west of Louisville, but I am sure that there will be several scouting trips in the near future up there.

The open carry thing is interesting. Is it common up there? Or at least more common that here in Tennessee?

The one thing that is sticking out to me is that of the dozens of times I have moved, Tennessee has always been home. Until I was ten, I had no home. We would transfer to a new location every summer. Washington, Virginia and California. A year and then back. The apartment I am in now has literally been the longest I have been in one location at seven years. My mother's house where she has lived for the last twenty years is the second longest I have stayed at one place, four years.

My wife is very receptive to Louisville, she is just concerned about crime. She will trust my judgement, but she is a nervous type.

Sounds like a good move. I am born and raised in Knoxville but was about to take a job offer in Indiana about 8 yrs ago. My current job came about and I was able to stay. On a different note, I would be very open and understanding in regards to your daughter. Depending on her age it could be hard for her to understand its for the best. Good luck.

I grew up just south of Lville, its very similar to TN - once outside of the city. It's also not a HCP but rather a Concealed deadly weapons permit in KY. Read ASP, switchblade, etc it's not just firearms as the law is implemented.

• Administrator

The only thing I have to add.

Can't buy beer on Sunday! :)

This is true, but it forces you to plan ahead.

Until the past 15 years you couldn't even buy alcohol in restaurants on Sunday, but they've changed that. This may be a by-the-town sort of thing, however. I'm just going based off of my old hometown and my elation upon returning one weekend to find that I could order a margarita on Sunday. So I did. And it was sinfully good. :D

The open carry thing is interesting. Is it common up there? Or at least more common that here in Tennessee?

It's been that way in Kentucky as long as I can remember, well back into the 1970s. I would often see farmers with a six-shooter on their belts as they would carry them out in the fields while working. It also seemed a little unusual to see them walking around in Wal-Mart with their piece hanging off their belt, but again it was legal and until the 1990s was also the only way you could carry in Kentucky. The CDWP didn't become available until the early to mid 1990s, at which time I promptly got mine and started carrying a Smith & Wesson 3913 in a small-of-the-back holster under a sport coat. I worked in and around banks a lot, so it was convenient and hid easily. Not the best holster design in hindsight, but oh well... I was young and naive.

But back to your question... no, open carry doesn't seem very popular back in my hometown except by the aforementioned farmers. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else open carry up there but I've noticed plenty of inadvertently exposed concealment pieces when folks don't mind their shirt tails.

Guest nicemac

I was born and raised just outside of Louisville, in Bardstown. All of my family is there. Bardstown is very much like Franklin.

Louisville and Knoxville are not much alike. Lexington and Knoxville are a lot alike. That said, Louisville is a fine town.

Yes, they have a state income tax, and a personal property tax. But no tax at the grocery on food.

Slightly colder winters, but milder summers.

People are about the same. Strong southern influence (but not as much as Knoxville), Large German community and a significant Catholic population.

East and south of town there are plenty of hills if you want to keep the terrain looking he same. Southern Indiana has some good hill country, but I could never recommend ANYONE move to Indiana.

Stay away from the Wildcat fans. They are just crazy!

Louisville, like any town, is what you make it.

I now live in Murfreesboro because of the job but, I was born and raised in Louisville. I love Kentucky in general and Louisville in particular. I believe the Louisville / Jefferson County school system is good. I have lived in Tennessee for 25 years and have enjoyed it very much. BUT, Louisville is still home.

There us much to see and do. Hunting and fishing are great. Kentucky has a great state parks system. The Fraiser Arms Museum in Louisville is awesome.

Good luck on your adventure. I am now jealous.

Chattanooga does emissions testing. It is a crock: they do not test the polluters (commercial and government vehicles) like those small dumptruck looking things with 6 wheels that blow black smoke every few seconds, or the 18 wheelers that do the same. It costs $10 a year and they have rules (if your car is this age, it can pollute this much, newer cars are held to higher standards). Mostly, its a way to steal $10 per car and create "jobs". It may be the county, I forget if its city, county, or what in charge of this tax. (Note that I would be all for this if the testing were free, a fine charged for polluting vehicles, and all vehicles with a TN tag of any type had to do it).

I would be a lot more concered about the income tax than anything else; as it is double taxing (taxed both when you make it and when you spend it). 5% twice may seem the same as 10% sales tax, but you do not spend every cent you make, making TNs tax rate much lower for those who save, invest, or just shop online or across the state lines. I doubt I pay the 10% tn tax on more than 1/3 of my income, so its really about a 3-4% tax rate in Tn, TOTAL, for me.

Edited by Jonnin

Chattanooga does emissions testing. It is a crock: they do not test the polluters (commercial and government vehicles) like those small dumptruck looking things with 6 wheels that blow black smoke every few seconds, or the 18 wheelers that do the same. It costs $10 a year and they have rules (if your car is this age, it can pollute this much, newer cars are held to higher standards). Mostly, its a way to steal $10 per car and create "jobs". It may be the county, I forget if its city, county, or what in charge of this tax. (Note that I would be all for this if the testing were free, a fine charged for polluting vehicles, and all vehicles with a TN tag of any type had to do it).

I would be a lot more concered about the income tax than anything else; as it is double taxing (taxed both when you make it and when you spend it). 5% twice may seem the same as 10% sales tax, but you do not spend every cent you make, making TNs tax rate much lower for those who save, invest, or just shop online or across the state lines. I doubt I pay the 10% tn tax on more than 1/3 of my income, so its really about a 3-4% tax rate in Tn, TOTAL, for me.

Again, there is no way my car would pass emissions. I do not have any of the factory emissions components on my car. They have all been removed. I wouldn't even make it to the sniffer test, the visual would fail me.

The taxes from what I see don't include groceries, which would be a boost of 10% in purchasing power right there. Feeding my family costs me $400 a month, that would be a $40 increase out the gate.

After talking with the wife, I think we are going for it.

Guest nicemac

Again, there is no way my car would pass emissions. I do not have any of the factory emissions components on my car. They have all been removed. I wouldn't even make it to the sniffer test, the visual would fail me.

The taxes from what I see don't include groceries, which would be a boost of 10% in purchasing power right there. Feeding my family costs me $400 a month, that would be a $40 increase out the gate.

After talking with the wife, I think we are going for it.

You are correct, but you have to pay personal property tax on that car to get plates. That will (more than likely) eat up that $40 grocery savings. Not trying to talk you out of anything-I love Louisville- but don't think that because of the no-tax on food, wyou will save money.

Best wishes!

• 4 weeks later...

The job is mine.

I am due to be there the first of April. Technically the second of April.

The wife has been packing all week.

We are looking at Shelbyville and Shepardsville. We don't want to be in town, but we don't want to be more than thirty minutes out of town.

I can't seem to find a Kentucky version of here, so I have a feeling I will still hang out. I have kinda grown fond of the place.