Your First Car!

Guest Tailguuner762

Guest Catfish36

1982 Honda Prelude. I worked all summer the summer I turned 16 to make the down payment. Then when my friends were out doing whatever, I spent my afternoons and saturdays doing construction to pay it off. I payed it off and kept it until long after I got married. Drove her til she wouldn't drive anymore. She had over 300k miles on her when I got rid of her. What a good car. Great gas milage. Drove alot of dates in that car. It was nothing to look at. The interior was already ragged out when I got it, but that engine would not quit.

The weekend I turned 16 my Dad drove me to Hot Spring, AR (about 45 minutes from where we lived at the time). It was standard, and I had only driven a standard twice in an empty parking lot. But I got in it..and drove it straight thru down town Hot Springs..red lights on hills and all. Curvy road home. I taught myself how to drive a stick that day. I miss that car.

By the way..the year was 1992..it was already 10 years old when I got it. But I was proud as snot...it even had a sunroof!..haha

For all you old fellas.

My first car was a 1962 Ford Galaxy 500 XL 4-door. Had the 390 police engine and suspension. The car was actually ordered by a then local Sheriff's Dept and when it came in,

the county refused it because it had carpets and chrome trim. They wouldn't pay the extra money. My Dad heard about it and went to the local Ford dealer and bought it. He

drove it for 8 years and I got it when I started my senior year in high school.

By todays' standards, it was a big land yacht. Plenty of power and about 18mpg. Of course gas was 25-28 cents a gallon then. It was a blast. Powerful, fun to drive, Huge

back seat. But that's another story.

I really miss that car.

1991 Toyota 4Runner. The most under-powered vehicle I have ever driven but I loved it. It was a mechanical nightmare. My dad spend as much as on the initial purchase as he did in repairs. I gave the thing absolute hell!! Top speed was 95 with the pedal through the floor.

Took it off road numerous times and never got stuck. I even jumped some railroad track with it. By far my favorite vehicle I have owned. I miss it.

IMG_20111113_160858.jpg?t=1321218600

A white 1962 Rambler convertable red top stick shift. Ugly, but got me from point A-Z, no chick magnet though.

My second car was a 1964 dark blue Chevy Impala with a 283 ci. and 2 bbl. carb. Once from a roll, I beat a Corvette with a 350. Could not beat my dad's 1962 Chevy Impala SS w/ 327, but close. Raced some Mustangs with 289, but sad to say, I gave them a race sucking their exhaust! Had Crager mags all around on Impala but didn't do much good on Hall Street.

Ahh.. The good ole days! For some reason, I paid special attention to my back seat when I had to take my parents somewhere?

Edited by Dennis1209

01 Honda Civic EX Coupe. I came home from work one night and see a new car sitting in the driveway. I was thinking wtf my parents bought a brand new car. I walk in the door and my parents stand there and hand me the keys. Needless to say I was pretty damn excited and blessed.

1985 oldsmobile Cutlass salon. Black on Maroon, chromed out. Came from the factory like that though. It was my parents first new car back in 1984. I got the use of it when i was 17. After this when my brother started driving we got a 1986 Jeep cherokee 4cy/ 5-speed/4x4 and i took that and let my brother drive the Cut.

Miss both those cars, lost the Cutlass in the house fire a few years ago and dad had sold the jeep a year before the fire. Remember lot of good and bad times in both those vehicles.

As for my first car i actually bought, I'm still driving my 1998 durango, bought in 1999 and even with 200k miles its still running strong.

Guest Lester Weevils

In 1969 after dropping out of college the first time. IIRC the vehicle cost about $100. It was in pretty decent shape, considering. A hulking 1961 (IIRC) white ford station wagon with three speed on the column. Admittedly the engine compartment on that road barge was ginormous, but I'm certain that a locomotive diesel would not QUITE have fit.

The engine compartment, larger than my apartment's bedroom but lacking the decorator cracked plaster and peeling wallpaper, contained a tiny straight 6 engine bearing uncanny resemblance to a sewing machine. On first opening the hood it could take a few minutes of searching to FIND the engine. Was easiest to find with a flashlight and magnifying glass, though I eventually learned where to look.

Every valve clattered. Not only did the engine look like a sewing machine but also sounded like a sewing machine. It burned a little oil but at least it burned more gas than oil. That station wagon got around town good for a year or two.

That station wagon was big enough to tote a shure vocal master PA, a leslie 147, wurlie electric piano, cheezmaster 2000 electric organ, amps, geetars, mics and the rest of the band if you had a shoehorn to wedge the last guy in. Unfortunately it wouldn't ever have been big enough to tote a Hammond B3. Except maybe strapped on-top.

Fully loaded, propelled by that intimidating 6 cylinder powerhouse, it could easily achieve highway speed, though it would take a few minutes. To get going fast enough for second gear that is.

The car I wish had never sold was the second one, a 1967 Camaro, 327 with 2-speed powerglide transmission. A very low mileage vehicle in cherry condition. Purchased in 1971 for the exhorbitant sum of $1200.That thing would cruise 85 miles per hour in the hydramatic second gear all the way from Chatt to Jekyl Island without the slightest complaint. The Camaro delivered fabulous gas mileage. Sometimes it could even get 13 miles per gallon on the highway.