New M&P Shield

Steelharp

They could have shaved off some of the weight. It weighs the same as a baby Glock.

Personally, i like the advertised weight. I think it will make the gun very shootable--unlike some kahr's and keltec's. And yes, i drank the M&P koolaid a long time ago--this is a biased opinion without laying hands on the previously mentioned product.....

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1

Search results showing keyword "shield" found all of the threads. You guys must be searching something else. :)

I am quite sure I am search challenged. :)

Question: How do I lock the thread since there are quite a few active ones?

It seems like this is just another example where the manufacturer is trying to produce a pocket size gun but they just can't quite get there.

Add this to the list with the Beretta Nano, PPS, Kimber Solo, LC9 etc etc.

I don't understand why they put a thumb safety on the gun, the M&P's don't come standard with a thumb safety, why did they feel they need to put one on this model?

Regardless of what I think, the M&P's are great guns, I'm sure this will be a big seller for them.

I agree with everything you said. The 4.6" height is a deal breaker for me.

Guest nysos

Saw someone come across this review on sigforum, most interesting mention in the review is the change in the trigger. Also, he states that the manual safety is no big deal and could be left off without worry of bumping it back on.

http://gunnuts.net/2012/04/12/smith-wesson-mp-shield-9mm-review/

The rumors are true: Smith & Wesson released the new M&P Shield this morning at 0900 Pacific time, and we have a hands on first look at the gun. The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield is a single stack handgun built around the M&P design philosophy and initially chambered in 9mm. A .40 S&W version will be available, however we tested the 9mm version. First, let’s talk about the statistics – cold hard numbers on the gun.

Caliber: 9mm

Capacity: 7+1 with flush fitting magazine, 8+1 with extended magazine

Barrel length: 3.1 inches

OAL: less than 6 inches

Widest point: 0.98 inches

Manual safety

Now, those are all the numbers, but the real question is “how does it shoot?†The answer to that is “very well.†I put about 500 rounds through mine over the course of two days, and I was really impressed with how it handled. In the past I’ve not been a big fan of these single-stack 9mm guns, usually because the execution has been off. The M&P Shield nails the execution, getting the details that a sub-compact 9mm should have right.

Speaking of details, let’s talk about the trigger. Everyone complains about the M&P trigger’s lack of a distinct reset point, and while it never bothered me that much with my Pro Series guns, it’s enough of an issue that S&W went ahead and addressed it. The new M&P Shield has a new trigger, which ads a very positive and distinct reset point to the gun making the trigger feel much more like a well tuned Glock trigger. The boffins said that out of the box the trigger would weigh in around 6.5 lbs, and I’d estimate mine felt about like that. The gun does have a manual safety, which I’m not a huge fan of, but for IWB carry you can basically ignore it. I tried my damnedest to make it activate on accident and I couldn’t. S&W recommends that the Shield be carried in a holster and not as a pocket gun, unless you have large pockets. The form factor makes it nice for discreet carry in non-permissive environments.

But enough with that, because you want to know how it shoots. To tell the truth, it shoots awesome. I came in to the T&E process expecting to not like the gun, because I’ve not been impressed with other guns in its class such as the LC9. The M&P Shield was the complete opposite of that. Not only was it relatively easy to shoot, it was very accurate. At 25 yards I was able to hold around 4 inches from a standing two handed hold. It punches way above its weight class in terms of shootability. With the 7 round flush magazine inserted, I was just barely to get an entire hand on it, and with the 8 round extended mag inserted I had plenty of real-estate to hold on to to shoot the gun quickly. We ran the guns through several different drills, including some close range bill drills, longer range accuracy stuff, and even some shooting on the move. My personal gun kept running despite being plucked from the production line and handed to me with no intervening lubrication, or “going over†by S&W. One note: in order to keep the form factor under an inch, S&W had to do away with the interchangable backstraps that are a hallmark of the M&P line. For a small gun like this, it’s really not a big deal.

We’ll actually be shooting the new M&P Shield through a series of tests and challenges in the next few weeks. Now that I’ve had a turn with it, Shelley Rae will get her hands on the gun and give you her thoughts on it next week. Friday we’ll have some video on the new pistol going up.

My final thoughts on the new gun? This is a homerun for S&W. I am not a big fan of small, single-stack 9mm guns, but the new M&P Shield made a believer out of me. I predict that our sample gun is going to be fought over hardcore in the office as to who’s going to be carrying it.

Guest jkintn

Looking forward to comparison reviews between the Shield and LC9. I currently have the LC9 but may swap to the Shield as I also have M&P9c.

I'll stick with my Walther PPS. The Walther is one of my favorite handguns I have ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. 6, 7, or 8 rounds of 9mm in a slim and reasonably compact package, no external safety, and shoots like a dream.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Word got around quickly. Slickguns is sold out. I must say that after several videos and articles on the Shield, it does appear impressive. I know I'm in the minority, but the whole spate of mini 9mm guns have left me wanting something more...Maybe this is it.