Anyone use code words or phrases?

I was watching my 14 month old daughter play on my porch yesterday when I thought "what if some weirdo came up here?" I would be in an awkward position to say the least. I wasn't wearing my gun and I was grilling and keeping an eye on her. If some shady character came onto my porch I would want my gun but wouldn't want him to know that. I decided that if I wanted my wife to get my gun for me but didn't want to tip someone off, I would use a code phrase. We decided to use the phrase "go get my glasses" since I don't wear glasses (note: 20/15 vision ;) )

So the question is, what would be some more scenarios that would warrant a code word or phrase?

With teenage boys, we set up a word so that if anyone was coming in when the adults were not able to make a quick determination of who was moving in the house, we would just say code word and they had to respond with a simple one word answer. Simple and effective.

With teenage boys, we set up a word so that if anyone was coming in when the adults were not able to make a quick determination of who was moving in the house, we would just say code word and they had to respond with a simple one word answer. Simple and effective.

That's actually a good idea you got. Quick easy and effective.

I like that idea. I've read too many stories of a family member shooting a "bad guy" only to find out it was another family member sneaking back in.

One of the reasons a code word is such a good idea is the likelihood that your significant other thinking you're not serious when there's a threat. A code word works the other way, too, if she recognizes the threat first.

In regard to family members coming in the door, I heard on this forum about a member who has his family sound off with their own names when they walk into the house. That way, if he ever hears a door open and no name shouted, he knows there's a problem. Nothing wrong with the sign/countersign mentioned above, though.

Rare foreign language is more flexible than code words. Because you can not predict when and how you will need to counter attack. Transition to particular language is an alert by itself

My girlfriend learned some Ukrainian. The language is so rare and difficult that nobody would understand.

Just do not use French. It is already used by ethnic gangs originated from Caribbean islands.

We have code words set up for our kids - one for them to hide, one to barricade in their rooms, and one to get out of the house quickly and quietly. Their rooms are set up to be barricaded quickly and easily, and would keep all but extremely well-equipped bad guys from getting anywhere near them while they call 911. They have a coded response so I know where they are if I need to use my weapon.

As for being confronted and not having my gun, when my pretty wife hears "Sh*t, I don't have my f***ing gun!" she knows to come running with hers.

• Like 1

I have a firearm on me at all times (cept when sleepin). Wife has hers when shes out or at home alone. Number one priority is the childs saftey. The wife knows what to do pending the locations we frequent in everyday life. We've got our "home" saftey plans and we have our public saftey plans which work for us.

My daughter isn't old enough to understand "code" in any langue. My wife....well somethimes she has trouble just speaking. No code words are used at anytime. Don't think we'd need them as of right now. Code words will never work for my family.

Guest Broomhead

My wife and I use tone of voice to send any codes. I say her name and one word in a certain tone or with a certain urgency, she knows to get moving, grab her purse, get the girls in the car quickly, grab the girls, etc. Sometimes, all it takes is a look and she knows.

She'd think I was crazy for trying code words or phrases.

When I told my wife we should have a codeword if we encounter a dangerous situation so we are both on the same page she said ok "fish on!" We enjoy watching Jeremy Wade's River Monsters & he loves to say that right when he starts big time reeling. Lol I love my wifes brain.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

Never really thought about this. Should have, I guess. My wife and I would probably be thinking the same thing

at about the same time if together. If apart, I doubt a code word would mean much, but the Rubicon would be

crossed and we would communicate it in different words. Ability might be diminished due to our location.

We talk about what we would do, but the probability of being apart would make things cumbersome in most

situations.

When I told my wife we should have a codeword if we encounter a dangerous situation so we are both on the same page she said ok "fish on!" We enjoy watching Jeremy Wade's River Monsters & he loves to say that right when he starts big time reeling. Lol I love my wifes brain.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I like this one. My wife and I both watch that also. Unfortunately, she would absolutely forget about that and look at me like I had a third eye if I uttered that phrase in an odd situation.