Glock Gods will punish me - 1911

graycrait

I haven't had a 1911 in a while and then ran across this in the classifieds on another forum, stared at it for about 60 seconds and then wrote, "I'll take it." It will be a few days before I get it but am already plotting which trigger I am going to put in the thing. Hey its a 1911, they have to be tinkered with.

SA9mm1911.jpg

• Like 1

the wife had and shot one of those that we had tuned by the Springfirld custom shop for years, when you have it finished it will be damn near recoiless even with WWB 115's. she also had the S & A magwell and ambi mag release. before they started making good 9mm 10 round mags, she use 38 super 10 round mags, with one issues.

If you haven't paid attention to the 7.62x25 go look up the specs. It is an amazing little round that I think would take off if a modern gun were chambered in it. I know if someone made a modern design in the caliber I would carry a gun in the caliber every day.

There is something about a bullet doing 1,450 fps out of a 4.5" barrel and 1,850 out of a 16" barrel. It is also the first pistol caliber to reliably defeat soft body armor and the PAGST helmet.

Dolomite

Actually I'm betting on making one this one 3 calibers in one gun: 9mm, .38 Super, 7.62x25. I've done the .38 Super and 9mm in one gun before, but not the 7.62x25. Problem is that 7.62x25 cheap surplus ammo is apparently not available any longer so shooting non-9mm will cost a lot whether .38 Super or 7.62x25.

Actually I'm betting on making one this one 3 calibers in one gun: 9mm, .38 Super, 7.62x25. I've done the .38 Super and 9mm in one gun before, but not the 7.62x25. Problem is that 7.62x25 cheap surplus ammo is apparently not available any longer so shooting non-9mm will cost a lot whether .38 Super or 7.62x25.

Reloading 7.62x25 is cheaper than buying. If you bought everything except the brass it would cost about .13 each.

Dolomite

Sweet Pistol. The Glock Gods will punish you after shooting a 1911 with a good trigger. They punished me after 3 month, , affair with a Springfield Mil-Spec. Traded for a gen3 G19, but couldn't produce my usual groups until I retrained myself by dryfiring every night. Switching "platforms", I've learned, just ain't my thing. Sure is fun though:)

Edited by Kevo

I had a hand operation a few years ago that precipitated me looking at handgun ergonomics much closer, as well as making me shoot weak hand a lot more. Nothing has a trigger better than the 1911 with its short length of pull with minimal slabs and short trigger or its longer length of pull with thicker slabs and a longer trigger. The 1911 trigger face can be adjusted to fit nearly any misshapen trigger finger if that trigger finger is long enough. The next best gun for ergonomics and trigger is the Glock. Why? You can carve, shave material, add material with Devcon 290, put in Fulcrum or Phantom triggers until you make the gun fit you. Only people with very very short fingers cannot efficiently operate a properly set up Glock. For those people some revolvers work, Taurus PT series and smaller single stack guns can work well.

I've carved my carry Glocks so that they point faster or at least as fast as my index finger or a 1911 without the typical Glock 5-8% upward cant. With a 25 cent trigger job, Fulcrum trigger, Ghost 3.5lb connecter and 6lb trigger spring one can get a pretty nice safe Glock trigger. However, even then nothing I have touched comes close to the 1911 trigger. Granted the traditional 1911 weighs too much, is short on capacity, needs lots of lube and cleaning, can be prone to breaking if mishandled roughly, making the 1911 fall short of a Glock as an everyman's handgun. But in the end the 1911 trigger is "to die for" and no handgun can come close to the 1911 trigger.

I have been building so many platforms in 7.62x25. I have built AR's and bolt guns for a very long time. I need another and will have one very soon.

I love the caliber!

Dolomite

Is that what's in your avatar? With a boat tail shoved in it? interesting. I kinda wanna get one of the Rock Island Auto .22TCM pistols. Seems like a fun caliber to mess with.

Is that what's in your avatar? With a boat tail shoved in it? interesting. I kinda wanna get one of the Rock Island Auto .22TCM pistols. Seems like a fun caliber to mess with.

I have used the caliber to launch 180 grain bullets at 1,050 fps. I have built two AR's in the caliber as well as two Savages. I worked with another guy to work up load data for everything from 86 grain to 180 grain bullets.

I have a ton of experience with the Tokarev round. I have built a few AR's chambered in it as well as a few bolt guns chambered in it.

The bolt guns were more of a subsonic guns using the Tokarev as a base. Here is the last Savage I chambered in the 7.62x25 Tokarev. I would use it to shoot heavy subsonic reloads as well as cheap surplus. The subsonic Tokarev loads I worked up are actually being used by a few people now that are producing the AR chambered in the Tokarev round. The subsonic rounds will never hit the mainstream but makes for a very quiet gun with a suppressor. The Tokarev uses a .308' bore rather than the .311" like the AK. This makes finding reloading components easy.

Here are pictures of the last Tokarev build:

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

The tube is a tensioning sleeve that fits over the barrel then the muzzle nut is tightened down to tension the barrel. I first did this to try to fix a heat related drift problem I had with another rifle and it worked great. Before after about 5 rounds the bullets would start walking and by round 10 they were 1"+ off of zero but after I could shoot long strings without any drift. It seems to work out to be similiar to a bull barrel as far as stiffness goes yet is lighter weight.

I actually used do a lot of odd projects, over the years some have worked and some haven't. I considered the Tokarev rifle a success because it did exactly what I wanted it to. It was also cheaper to build, load and shoot than the 300 Whisper. And as long as I stay subsonic there were no difference between the two. Reamers, dies, brass are all cheaper and available while the 300 Whisper tends to be expensive on all counts unless you decide to make your own brass but the dies and reamer as more expensive than the Tokarev's.

The Tokarev let me shoot cheap surplus or my subsonic handloads. Even without a suppressor is was a quiet gun with my handloads. My previous build used a 24.5" barrel and was as quiet as a 16" 10/22 shooting CCI subsonics yet with the heaviest bullets it developed muzzle energy that was comparable to a 357 magnum not to mention the ballistics were better. I did a lot of testing on stability also and rather than try to get a HP to open at subsonic velocities I was able to get it to readily tumble. This was more reliable and created more damage than just passing through. Also, the chance of tumbling only gets better as velocity drops while a HP opening it only gets worse. I did this by testing several different twist rates and getting the bullet just stable enough to be accurate yet unstable enough to tumble when it hit something. I got it to where the subsonic bullet would reliably tumble between 6" and 10" of water.

Most of these were done before my helicopter accident.

I know this is long winded but the Tokarev round is a very fun and powderful round in a rifle and if you get one you will have fun with it. It is also very useful, with proper loads you can squirrel hunt or deer hunt and do it without a lot of recoil or noise.

Here are some AR pictures:

loadedmag1.jpg

loadedmag2.jpg

loadedmag3.jpg

overall.jpg

I ended up rechambering the last picture in 7.62x39 before selling it to DLM37015.

Sorry to derail OP

Dolomite

• Like 1

Nice, indeed.

I LOVE the idea of shooting 7.62X25 from a 1911.

Ironically, I did the exact opposite with my CZ 52. It came with a 9mm conversion barrell. When the good bullets ran out, I started shooting the cheap ones.

I gotta switch back!