Recommendations for CCW Weapon?

Guest jdebusk15

Guest jdebusk15

I am tired of my full size .40 S&W Sigma Series I really need to get something that is smaller and slimmer that I could carry inside the waistband but not quite Glock 27 small. I prefer something available in .40cal any recommendations?

M&P Shield .40

It's a single stack mag, so it's slimmer. Of course the drawback is less rounds, but that's not a big deal to me.

Khar PM 40

This one may be too small, like the Glock 27 only thinner.

Springfield EMP 40

This one is pricey but it's slim and a great firearm.

The CW40 may be a good starting point for you. I had a cw45 which was a little taller, longer, and wider than the cw40 but I always felt it was the perfect size. It's between the sizes of a Glock23 and a Glock 27 but a little thinner.

Guest nysos

Might want to consider taking a look at the Walther PPS .40, and even though it is a double stack the XD compacts are relatively thin plus come in the .40 flavor as well.

I am tired of my full size .40 S&W Sigma Series I really need to get something that is smaller and slimmer that I could carry inside the waistband but not quite Glock 27 small. I prefer something available in .40cal any recommendations?

Go to Coal Creek and try shooting the P229, G23, M&P40c, XD Compact, etc.

• 1 month later...

I love my cz rami, its the old 75 platform made small, comes in 40 though mine is 9

M&P shield is a very nice pistol, single stack so slim enough.

Taurus has a couple of 40s that are pretty slim and reasonably sized, millineum series maybe?

there are so many more. Anything to narrow it down a bit?

M&P Shield .40

It's a single stack mag, so it's slimmer. Of course the drawback is less rounds, but that's not a big deal to me.

Khar PM 40

This one may be too small, like the Glock 27 only thinner.

Springfield EMP 40

This one is pricey but it's slim and a great firearm.

The EMP 40 and G27 while very different pistols have become my favorite for carry.

All of the above recommendations are very good so I will also suggest you look at the Ruger SR9c and SR40c as well. The fit and finish on these two pistols is great, the trigger pulls are much improved, in fact the trigger pulls are great. Slides can be either stainless or black, sights are good and the frame mounted safety can either be used or ignored. They do have a mag safety which doesn't disturb me but can easily be removed (so can the frame mounted safety). These pistols shoot great, hit to point of aim, group well and are slimmer than any other double stack pistol I've encountered. Now, heres the best part, they're less expensive than the Glock and M&P as well as the other recommendations as well. At the very least take a look before you buy.

While we have a few Taurus' I wouldn't use them for a carry because of the triggers. The new G2 models may be much better, but we only have the older ones so I can't say how the new ones are.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

In my quest to cover all applications with a 40S&W; have the M&P 40 in Full-size, Compact, and Shield. I also have a Kahr MK40.

The M&P Compact is just a little bigger than the Glock 27, basically the same size but the M&P holds one more round. The Compact uses a 10 round mag, but can use a 15 round full-size mag (not great for carry, but works when on nightstand duty or at the range).

The Shield is much smaller and is 7 round. I would not have bought the MK40 if I had known it was coming out.

As always everything is application driven. I have a 40 for all applications, but not one that covers then all.

If full size is too large and sub compact is too small look at some options in the middle. The Glock line offers the 23. I like the Sig 229 a lot but it is a little heavy.

Try the Sig 239 in. 40. Great carry gun.

How much smaller do you want, and what is too small? Seems like a Glock 23 might be right in your wheelhouse, but the CW40 that has also been recommended is quite a bit thinner. FWIW, the CW9 that I used to carry was probably the most comfortable weapon I've ever strapped IWB.

Mac

Oh, i have a Glock 23 and it is a little larger than i needfor cc. Went to a S&W shield 9mm and fits perfect. I added an Uncle mike's IWB holster which makes it comfortable. Went atv riding saturday up near Tracy cityand nobody noticed, or cared.

Like my40, but decided on the 9 for a few reasons. I shot a friends 9mm and noticed it had less recoil than my 23 glock. Ammo for the 9 is less expensive and i just wanted something different.