Need some help with wife choosing gun...again

timcar86

So several months ago I took my wife to choose a carry gun. I didn't give her any restrictions and only answered questions. She eventually chose a Sig p238. Now that she's fired it and thought about some other weapons, she wants a different gun. I've given some suggestions but she's super picky. She likes firearms in the size range of a compact 1911 but not the recoil of a .45. Her biggest complaint of the 238 was the thin grip. So I need some suggestions. Can't be anything with a long trigger pull like a LCP.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The EMP is a nice gun that is a little bigger than the 238. It is a 9mm so it will kick less than a 45. It is a little pricey and there have been some issues with them since they were introduced. I am not sure I would risk $1,000 on a gun that may or may not work. At least not without giving it a good workout.

There is also the Sig 938 which is basically a bigger version of the 238. It is too new to know if it is a hit or not but it is cheaper.

Dolomite

you can one size up to a number of 1911ish micros.

The new sig 938 is a little bigger than the 380 in 9mm. Colt has one (2 sorta, same frame), the defender/something frame. Para has a couple (or had??). . Kimber has 2 or 3 carry sized 1911s, maybe more. These are all 9mm 1911 style small framed guns, but bigger than the 238. The para is a double stack, so it will have a wider grip in a small package. The colt may be as well, I forget, but those will get you started.

Why don't you just try to change the grips on the 238 first. I am not sure what is available, but something as simple as a Hogue slip on grip might make all the difference in the world. Of course, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, I totally get that too. :)

Why don't you just try to change the grips on the 238 first. I am not sure what is available, but something as simple as a Hogue slip on grip might make all the difference in the world. Of course, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, I totally get that too. :)

I'm looking at that option as well.

The EMP is a nice gun that is a little bigger than the 238. It is a 9mm so it will kick less than a 45. It is a little pricey and there have been some issues with them since they were introduced. I am not sure I would risk $1,000 on a gun that may or may not work. At least not without giving it a good workout.

There is also the Sig 938 which is basically a bigger version of the 238. It is too new to know if it is a hit or not but it is cheaper.

Dolomite

The 9mm EMP is a sweet, beautiful, ACCURATE gun. It is also very tight. Polish the feed ramp and run about 200 rounds through it and it's good to go. It's my EDC. My petite wife likes to shoot it, if feels good in her hands and it is a beautiful weapon - the beauty of form follows function.

The EMP would be a good option. While I've read that some owners have initially had problems with the EMP, SA will solve the problem. My EMP 40 is heavier than the 9 but has been accurate and dependable using any ammo I've put in it.

Frankly, I've never been able to understand the perception that .45 ACP has more recoil than 9mm. I find .45 a pleasure to shoot in my M&P 45c with a gentle but firm push into the fleshy part of my hand. Follow up shots are a breeze. For me, at least.

If there were no difference in cost, I'd be shooting more .45 than 9mm at the range, all day long.

Edited by DaddyO

It's sounding like the Sig 938 verdict is still out. One of my friends is a huge 238 fan and Sig fan but hates the Sig 938. There's a few reported troubles also. I just wouldn't be so fast to think the 938 is the answer to everything. You'll have to try one yourself. I like the Sig 239 but have a hard time justifying them over a Glock26/27. The 239's will also have a long first trigger pull. If she don't like LCP triggers I'd stay away from the Kahrs.

Oh, I also think every 45 I've ever shot recoils about the same as a 9mm of the same size.

Edited by Patton

Just off the top of my head I would suggest hitting up a gun show and having her give an opinion on the following guns(if you can find them):

CZ82

CZ83

Glock 22/23

Glock 26/27

Springfield XD/XDM subcompact

S&W M&P Compact

P64

Tokarev

Makarov

Any number of 1911 variations the most prominent in this circumstance would be a Springfield EMP or the Kimber CDP(? not sure on the full model name here?)

Just off the top of my head I would suggest hitting up a gun show and having her give an opinion on the following guns(if you can find them):

CZ82

CZ83

Glock 22/23

Glock 26/27

Springfield XD/XDM subcompact

S&W M&P Compact

P64

Tokarev

Makarov

Any number of 1911 variations the most prominent in this circumstance would be a Springfield EMP or the Kimber CDP(? not sure on the full model name here?)

you are smart ......I handed my wife a $200.00 CZ 82 i bought as a C&R purchase and she loves it

ammo is cheap and its low recoil......and IMO built like a tank

Dolomite

Done in one.

PPK's are nie and all, but good lord the DA pull is godawful.

once I got past that and saw my hand and what the slide did I decided I'd admire them from a far. Good looking pistols that are typically reliable. Just not for me.

Have her hold a Kahr CW9 as well. It's a fairly long trigger pull but so smooth you don't notice.

I just bought a Bersa Thunder Plus. 15 rounds, best feeling grip of any .380 I've ever shot.

which points back up, its very like the makarov. I love my mak but its da/sa and heavy (good, tames recoil). The double stacks have a good grip if thin is bad... I like the bersa but for the same $$ a mak is basically the same thing in a cheaper caliber & probably cheaper pistol.

It is real hard to please a woman to begin with and really hard to fit a pistol to somebody else's preferred grip. That said, if she likes the feel of the compact .45s, my suggestion is to get the one she likes and reduce recoil with a main spring reduction and only run 185s in it. In fact, my Para Carry didn't require a spring change. It loves'em but then I like the +P 185 HPs from Georgia Arms. You'd still be amazed at the difference in recoil when compared to the 230s. They would still have more pow than a 9mil out of a short barrel. Just my :2cents: .... DaddyO is right on about the 45 recoil over the 9mm. Way diffrent feel. Have your wife shoot one and not listen to the fear.

Also, to tame the recoil of short grips, get the pinky extension mags and for me the magwell extension to match. Made a world of difference to how the pistol felt. Makes more roll instead of a snap. Hard to describe. Anyways, odds are you might go broke trying all the different options out there. The earlier suggestion to try different configurations is a solid one. Here's the combo that works for me... Compact frame, pinky extension and a S&A magwell extension.

0503001937.jpg

Edited by SmokyBaer

So after much gun fondling... :rofl: ...she picked out a Glock 19. Turns out heft and thickness was a big deal to her. (insert smartassed sexual joke here) So that's what we're going with.

On a side note, do the folks behind the counter at Frontier hate all their customers or just me? The guy at the Kingston Coal Creek continues to impress me though. Prices aren't the best but to show some appreciation I think we'll pick it up there.

which points back up, its very like the makarov. I love my mak but its da/sa and heavy (good, tames recoil). The double stacks have a good grip if thin is bad... I like the bersa but for the same $$ a mak is basically the same thing in a cheaper caliber & probably cheaper pistol.

I'm a CZ guy, so looked hard at the 82/83. For me, equivalent feel in the hand, but couldn't find an "old" one local and the "new" ones were more money than the Bersa. Wish I had researched the cost of .380 over 9mm because the Bersa is fun to shoot!

I'm a CZ guy, so looked hard at the 82/83. For me, equivalent feel in the hand, but couldn't find an "old" one local and the "new" ones were more money than the Bersa. Wish I had researched the cost of .380 over 9mm because the Bersa is fun to shoot!

Yea world would be a better place if either the 380 would drop to 9mm price or the makers would make 9x18 alternate for their 380s....

Why does that seem to be a reoccurring theme with Frontier? I've never been there, but I've read it several times on here. Not sure I want to go. Some of the nicest people I have met are the folks are Sevier Indoor Range. The folks are Randy's in Fountain City seem to be pretty good guys too, as do the guys at South Clinton Pawn. You might take a look over there, Timcar86.