Colloquialisms and their origins

Caster

Do you ever wonder where some of the things we say come from? I got the distinct privilege of hearing hours of conversation amongst a diverse group of people today.....all day...alllll dayyy.

Some of the things we say, if taken literally would land us in the Parthenon Pavilion under heavy sedation. [After the day I've had, that sounds really good actually!]

For example:

It's hotter than 2 rats :censored: in a wool sock.

Are we assuming here or was there an actual study on the thermodynamics of wool and it's affects on ambient temperatures during the mating action of rats?

One very big question I have, why would ANYONE pee in a boot? Was there nowhere else left to go?

The list goes on and on, but on a more serious note, one I heard in particular. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Really? Have we thought this one through? Yes I would rather take my chances convincing a jury of my peers I'm innocent that a jury of ONE on judgment day, but have you considered the actual imprisonment? Have you watched John Seigenthaler "Lock Up" ?

People really are lunatics. All of them. The ones we label as lunatics just don't hide it. :cheers:

Edited by Caster

Never heard it was a dead one, myself, just "not room to swing a cat in here".

- OS

It was reference to a high density of something... as in "In Clarksville I can't swing a dead cat without hitting an Asian Massage Parlor or cash advance place."

I was so used to hearing it when I was younger that it didn't seem odd to me nor had I visualized the absurdity of swinging a deat cat by its tail, until a coworker heard me use that phrase and brought attention to it. Then I was like, "huh, I guess I never thought about it."

Y'all shouldnt have started this. My ole buddy used to use this one all the time: "...So dammed ugly she (...or he????...) would scare a haint up a thorn bush on a foggy nite!!!....". My sainted moms had a vaariation on the "cat thing" with this one: "...Not room enough to cuss a cat without gettin hair in your mouth!!...".

leroy

The all time most graphic, puzzling, how in the world did they come up with that was said about a truck, "it's so weak that it could not pull a sick whore off a piss pot!" I've only heard it once in my life, but I don't guess I will ever forget it.

Something a little more forum related, the phrase "gave it the whole nine yards" is a reference to a machine gun belt that is nine yards long.

Edited by Gun Smith

What drives me crazy are people that take a colloquialism that initially made sense and make it senseless, such as "a tough row to hoe" becomes a "a tough road to hoe" Anyone that has ever used a hoe can understand the former but none can understand the latter.

Glenn

• Like 1

"that sucks" - Shouldn't this be used for describing a good thing?

Yeah that delves off into the territory of "FU" Never understood someone saying "FU" in a negative connotation. "FU" Well, no thanks, but I certainly appreciate the offer. :shrug:

Guest Lester Weevils

Y'all shouldnt have started this. My ole buddy used to use this one all the time: "...So dammed ugly she (...or he????...) would scare a haint up a thorn bush on a foggy nite!!!....". My sainted moms had a vaariation on the "cat thing" with this one: "...Not room enough to cuss a cat without gettin hair in your mouth!!...".

There must be lots of "ugly enough to..." around, but I have trouble remembering em. One that sticks in mind good enough to use on occasion is "Ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road." Usually used for inanimate objects rather than the fairer sex, but also a useful compliment for newborn babies. [joke]

I like the swing a dead cat line.

Another classic (of which there are many variations I can't recall)-- "Busier than a one legged man in a butt-kicking contest". "Up to his ass in alligators"

"The dog don't like the dog food." is good.

Edited by Lester Weevils