GM still need CPR

Guest 6.8 AR

The only way that company could have survived would have been to let it go bankrupt and reorganize. The bailout

was an injection and a payoff to unions to delay its demise.

I seriously have my doubts about Metro Nashville swapping from Crown Vics to Chevys without some form of

political intervention. GM doesn't have enough of a lineup to keep afloat considering it's debt, but the taxpayer

will remain on the hook because of you know who.

My family owned GM vehicles for almost as far back as I can remember; at least since my Dad returned from WW2...all but a tiny few of my vehicles have beenGM vehicles. However, short of homeland security holding a gun to my head I'll never buy another one. If I ever buy another (ostensibly) domestic nameplate it will be a Ford and I don't even like Fords. :)

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Thats me I was a chevy person but when they were bailed out I said no more.I traded down on my chevy pickup to a frod pickup and my wife picked up a Ford Edge.I tell everyone looking I would not buy a chevy and they say why?.Tell them about the bailout.Then they look at my Fords and they reply well ford gives money to gay groups I reply well its thier money not mine.

Really? Do you all not think how bad off this country would have been if GM went under? They employ over 200,000 employees not counting all the satellite companies that supply parts for GM. If you think this recession is bad now, just think what if?

• Like 1

...satellite companies that supply parts for GM.

Don't kid yourself.

I used to drive an expediter for a company in Detroit. Our main customers were GM and Chrysler. I would go to Charleston and get transmissions or Nebraska for shocks and run them up to the GM in Detroit so they could get those parts on the line and wouldn't have to stop production.

I talked to employees at more than one machine shop or manufacturer that would tell me that they were getting ready to close the doors because the company was moving to Canada or Mexico or had just flat lost their contract.

I went to Brownsville, Texas to pick up parts from Mexico and went up in Canada quite a bit too.

Those American cars don't have quite as many U.S. parts as you would think.

I guess they are still mostly American made though.

Canadians and Mexicans are North Americans too.

Guest 6.8 AR
Really? Do you all not think how bad off this country would have been if GM went under? They employ over 200,000 employees not counting all the satellite companies that supply parts for GM. If you think this recession is bad now, just think what if?

Okay. At what cost? What makes you think the

money given from the taxpayer to the union

and GM helped the economy one bit? At best,

it delayed their demise.

The further wrecking of the economy and the

picking of winners and losers by the government

doesn't justify any of it.

Take it a step further and all the money thrown away

with the green energy scam. Did that help anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would have happened is that someone or several someones would have bought the company and ended the contracts they could no longer afford and make the company profitable again...that's how capitalism and the free-market works. The only people that would have ultimately lost their jobs would have been people that we not needed which is as it should be.
  • Like 1

Not sure why so many are pissed at GM but not any of the other companies :shrug:

http://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list

That list doesn't mention the "secret" bailouts to foreign countries.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/exclusive-feds-600-billion-stealth-bailout-foreign-banks-continues-expense-domestic-economy-

Links can be verified by other sources. those were just the first two from goog;e

Not sure why so many are pissed at GM but not any of the other companies :shrug:

I'm disgusted with all of them and even more disgusted with Bush and Obama for giving them my money in the first place - none of them should have gotten a penny.

The only reason people are talking about GM is because that's who the posted story was about and because proping op GM is a non-ending story; the bailed-out GM would have collapsed after their sweet-heart bailout were it not for the government continuing support.

Edited by RobertNashville

GM still sells more cars than any company in the world. It would be an economic disaster for them to fail. They make bigger, better quality, cars and trucks than the imports. We ever get the import buyers that are still living in the 70’s back to the future and our economy will get better. patriot.gif

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

There is nothing too big to fail. Even

broken governments. GM would have

survived, Dave, just a little smaller and

much more able to survive on its own

if it were allowed into the bankruptcy

court. The taxpayer didn't cause that

problem, GM did.

If you think that was necessary, I

can't wait to hear you when our

country finally acknowledges it

has failed. I doubt any of us will

be able to get on the Internet to

have that discussion, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If GM fails, the demand for new vehicles that they formerly supplied doesn't go away. A new company, maybe using GM's old facilities, will pick up the slack. You'll probably get a better vehicle for less money. What's so magical about the GM label anyway? Ask a Kia owner.

As a 30 year Ford employee, I'll continue to buy Fords. Not just because I get a discount *, but because I know the people who design and build them.

* you can too - pm me.

I've had five GM products, all began to have problems at 50K and all of them leaked oil. My last one was a new 98 S10 Blazer. At 10K it leaked water through the back windows and leaked engine oil. To top it off the dealer tore more stuff up trying to fix both.

The bailout sealed it, no more GM junk for me.

Edited by kieefer
Guest 6.8 AR

They may have applied for the bankruptcy, but it was never completed, due to government intervention.

Call it reparations for the UAW more than anything for their loyal support for Democrats throughout the years

strickj, GM was the most obvious and blatant, other than the AIG debacle. Don't worry, we'll get to the others, one

of these days. :D

I have driven Chrysler products my whole life and will probably switch to ford next time because of the bailout and my wife's grandfather worked for ford for 50 years and she can get a discount.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

If GM fails, the demand for new vehicles that they formerly supplied doesn't go away. A new company, maybe using GM's old facilities, will pick up the slack. You'll probably get a better vehicle for less money. What's so magical about the GM label anyway? Ask a Kia owner.

^This^ The demand for products won't go away. Someone else will be making them.

Glenn

Guest 6.8 AR

My 99 Lincoln Continental has 285,000 miles on it and is still in pretty good shape. I took it away from my wife

primarily because of the mileage. I'm one to run the wheels off a car instead of trading every year or so. The

Bimmers I own now will probably see 200k by the time I consider trading them.

I have been eyeing that Mustang Boss 302, lately. :D Been a Ford guy all my life