Choosing a deer rifle, different requirements

Guest Irie

I'm looking for my first deer rifle. I've bow hunted and am currently hunting with a crossbow. My husband hunts all seasons with everything :)

I'm looking for something lightweight, not a lot of kick. I don't need long range. Right now I'm thinking 30-30 or that new .357 rifle that Ruger has.

Any other ideas, thoughts? Thanks

You might look at .243, 6.5 Grendel, or .250 Savage as a good choice for a low-recoil deer platform.

If you already have an AR-15, you can get a new upper in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8mm. Both are excellent deer calibers with low recoil.

Most manufacturers make rifles in .243. While .357 will certainly kill deer, it's pretty low on the scale and certainly limits your range to under 100 yards. The .30-30 is a classic deer caliber, but will have more recoil than any of the calibers I suggested above.

My wife has a Savage 99 in .250 Savage. It's not a common caliber, and the rifles have been out of production for some time and are not inexpensive. I now use an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. One of my wife's friends has a Ruger M77 lightweight bolt-action in .243 that she has used for the past 8-9 years.

I'm looking for my first deer rifle. I've bow hunted and am currently hunting with a crossbow. My husband hunts all seasons with everything :)

I'm looking for something lightweight, not a lot of kick. I don't need long range. Right now I'm thinking 30-30 or that new .357 rifle that Ruger has.

30-30 has a fair bit of kick. There are worse, but its not gentle. A 357 or a 44 mag lever gun will take a deer and are quite gentle for a rifle. As was said, a 243 and other less than 30 caliber guns are effective without being brutal. I really like a 243 and feel it is one of the best of the smaller caliber rifles --- wide variety of uses, mild recoil, long range, accurate, common enough to be inexpensive, and so on.

So my choices for you would be a 44 mag lever action or a 243 bolt gun. The 44 will have shorter range but it will send a very heavy, large diameter round out to deliver a great deal of power downrange and at typical hunting distances. I think the deer hunting 44s are 250-300 grain slugs and out of a rifle are moving at a good velocity.

If you already have an AR look at the 300 Blackout. It is being proven to be good on deer inside of 150 yards. Most people liken it to the 30-30 as far as range goes. Ammo is available as is everything you need to reload it if you choose to.

They also make a Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout. It uses a youth stock and a short, ightweight barrel which would be perfect for a female shooter.

Dolomite

You've got contradictory requirements.... light weight and low recoil. A heavier rifle will have less felt recoil than a light weight one. A semi-auto rifle will have less felt recoil than a bolt gun. In my experience, an M1 Garand (which is both heavy and semi-auto) in .30-06 has less felt recoil than light weight .270 bolt gun.

Keep in mind that the recoil only matters when you're at the range practicing. You won't feel a thing when hunting. That said, another vote for .243. Mild recoil, flat trajectory, plenty accurate.

You've got contradictory requirements.... light weight and low recoil. A heavier rifle will have less felt recoil than a light weight one. A semi-auto rifle will have less felt recoil than a bolt gun. In my experience, an M1 Garand (which is both heavy and semi-auto) in .30-06 has less felt recoil than light weight .270 bolt gun.

Keep in mind that the recoil only matters when you're at the range practicing. You won't feel a thing when hunting. That said, another vote for .243. Mild recoil, flat trajectory, plenty accurate.

My blackout is light weight, and a real soft shooter, especially with the muzzle brake. Not much more recoil than a 223.

Edited by mikegideon

According to the laws of physics, all other things being equal, the lighter the rifle, the greater the recoil. Since you stated you aren't needing a long range rifle, I'd suggest a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Were you wanting a longer range gun, I'd suggest a model 7 Remington in 243 Rem or 260 Rem.

I will tell you that recoil isn't as bad in most deer rifles as some would lead you to believe. Don't shoot too much from a bench and you'll be fine. In fact, I'll promise you that you'll never feel ANY recoil while shooting at large game.

Edited by gregintenn

Thanks for all the answers. My husband is the one who suggested 30-30 ( I think he planned to borrow it :)

I totally forgot about lightweight versus kick. In reality, I don't have that far to carry it, so weight isn't that big a deal.

I saw a 6.8 the other day, but the guy was shooting these monster rounds to kill hogs. Kicks like a mule! Didn't know you could get lighter rounds. I've been looking at the ARs a little, haven't looked at .243 or .44 but I will now. I have time, I'm using the crossbow this year and plan on the rifle for next year.

I'll be using a 30-30 this year. Yeah there's some kick to it but I like they've said above you don't really notice it…adrenalin and all, ya know. And I find, as with most things, the more you shoot it, the easier it gets. When I first pick it up, at this time of the year, I cringe as I fire my first round, then I'm like "that wasn't so bad". A few more shots & it's like old friend. I always make it out in my head worse than it really is lol. Maybe I'm just partial to the 30-30 for nostalgia's sake, but it's a classic for a reason… at least to me.

I plan on trying out some others for next year because I want one of my own. So, if you think about it let us know what you decide.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

Thanks for all the answers. My husband is the one who suggested 30-30 ( I think he planned to borrow it :)

I totally forgot about lightweight versus kick. In reality, I don't have that far to carry it, so weight isn't that big a deal.

I saw a 6.8 the other day, but the guy was shooting these monster rounds to kill hogs. Kicks like a mule! Didn't know you could get lighter rounds. I've been looking at the ARs a little, haven't looked at .243 or .44 but I will now. I have time, I'm using the crossbow this year and plan on the rifle for next year.

An AR is going to tame recoil and if you have the right stuff done to it, it can tame it a LOT. MY 308 is a lever action and it kicks almost like a 12 ga shotgun. I have shot a 308 AR that a kid could handle --- it had the right compensation and all to tame the round and enough weight etc.

I do not know much about the 6-7 mm range of calibers, but if they make a tamed 308 I have to think you could get a tamed 6.XX caliber AR as well. I guess those are going to be similar to the 243, roughly, and in an AR, even more gentle, should be nice setup.

Only trouble with ARs is the price is 3X or more over a bolt or lever gun. I hesitate to recommend one as a "deer gun" for that reason -- however if you will shoot it year round for fun as well, then certainly worth it. Just thinking that $800+ for a gun you fire 3-4 times a year is sort of over the top.

Any chance he could still borrow it and let you try it out? What kind is it? I've shot both Winchester and Marlin .30-30s, and always thought the Winchester kicks more. Neither will kick as much as a .270 or .30-06 bolt action. Also, don't worry about having several fast follow-up shots. I bet the vast majority of hunters have never fired more than one shot at the deer they killed.

If you or your husband have any interest in loading your own ammo, that can open up a lot of options too. Then *you* can control the recoil and power of the round (within reason). I have several shoulder bruisers that I make light range ammo for, and I am sure that lighter ammo would take a deer at 100 or less.

I'm going to second the 6.5 Grendel. In an AR-style rifle, you can use an adjustable gas block (if it has one or you install one) to help tame felt recoil. The 6.5 or the 6.8 or .300 Blackout will be similar in the AR. The advantage to the 6.5 is a longer effective range if you ever decide to try longer range shooting.

If you are really staying short range, I don't recommend any of the larger centerfire rounds (.243, 260, etc.) in a bolt action or single shot. While the recoil may be manageable, it will still be worse than an AR. And the muzzle blast will be significantly worse.

.30-30 is a classic, but again, recoil will be heavier. 6.5/6.8/300 will beat the ballistics after a short distance, too. Due to poor ballistic coefficient of the .30-30 and better BC of the others (Especially the 6.5. Can you tell I'm biased toward the 6.5 Grendel?)

I built my 5', 100 pound wife a lightweight AR in 6.5 G. Recoil is very mild even in the light rifle. And the muzzle blast is less daunting when you are practicing and less damaging when hunting. She hasn't hunted with it yet, unfortunately.

Good luck,

Will

If you get a bolt action then 243 are normal starter hunting rifles. They shoot very nice with a muzzle brake. My 308 shoots great with a good muzzle brake as well, I use the JP Tactical Compensator and it works wonders!

For AR platform, 300 BLKOUT with a muzzle brake should work great. Maybe someone here will let you shoot theirs to get you hooked? You can also invest in a suppressor since its legal to hunt suppressed in TN to make it quieter as well... and all you should have to do is buy a new 300 upper for your AR.

I would go with .308. Will handle anything on the North American continent and my 7, 9 and 11 year old grand kids deer hunt with .308 NO PROBLEMS! I highly reccomend .308.

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

No, I meant he wanted me to get a 30-30 so HE could borrow it! Lol.

Looks like I've got some research to do...

LOL, forgive my airheadedness.

BTW, several have mentioned muzzle brakes. While they do tame recoil, be aware that some will make the gun SIGNIFICANTLY louder.

• Like 1

I would go with .308. Will handle anything on the North American continent and my 7, 9 and 11 year old grand kids deer hunt with .308 NO PROBLEMS! I highly reccomend .308.

Dave S

308 is an amazing round but if small kids are using it, you have a well built semi auto. My lever action 308 will knock the kids on their backsides; its a lot more potent than the 30-30. Point is the package is just as important as the caliber --- and I don't recommend a lever or bolt 308 for her!

I would go with .308. Will handle anything on the North American continent and my 7, 9 and 11 year old grand kids deer hunt with .308 NO PROBLEMS! I highly reccomend .308

Dave S

My recommendation is a semi-auto 308 also. I've been a 308 fan for a LONG time and recoil is very manageable even in the lighter weights like the Browning BAR Hunters that are so accurate. The FNARs are also based somewhat on that action. Mine shot 1" groups at a hunderd right outta the box, no tweaks, just shoot and grin. Primarily use 150 grain bullets which shoot fairly flat and, as desired, with way less recoil than the 180s dish out. A budget was never mentioned but inside 200 yards a Springfield Armory Scout or SOCOM would really fit the bill.

As i remember, Irie, you got hubby a very nice 1911 so turnabout is only fair play... Go for the Scout!!

Honestly I would rather sit at home than ever hunt with a 30/30 again... It seems as soon as you take to the field with one a 12 pointer will mock you from 200 yards. Having used to own a large piece of land and letting many friends hunt on it, I can say with all sincerity I have never trailed and tracked more wounded deer than any other calibers combined.

My suggestion is any of the cartridges based off of the 308, that would include the 243, 260 rem 7mm-08 and 308. Another caliber to look at would be 25-06 the recoil felt off of the lighter grain bullets isn't bad.

The 243 and 260 have great knock down for the felt recoil, and if range is ever needed its very capable (would take the 260 out to 1000 yards over a 308 any day). My son shot my 243 when he was 7... He shoots my 260 and 308 now at 13. The 260 if you don't reload I wouldn't recommend. The 7mm-08 I have never been a fan of, just never had one that suited me, although its a fine cartridge. The cartridges based off of the .308 are also inherently very accurate.

I don't hunt, but I keep my options open to it every year. The guy I would go with sits in a spot and waits for them. It's a fairly wooded area and he has pulled in deer every year, but it's not in a spot to take long shots. I plan on doing a 6.5 upper just because I can, but in the mean time I'll just take my AR loaded with some 64+gr and call it a day. We wont be taking any long shots and I don't care enough to make a unethical shot. I'll just say okay Mr. 30-06 this is you. That is assuming he takes me to a different place that has a long shot.

My situation may be different because I would just go looking for animals to bond with the brother-in-law.

• 3 weeks later...
The 30 30 has a stock design that is not great for recoil reduction. A bolt action 30 30 if you could find one would probably be more comfortable to shoot.

I just shot a bolt action 308 today with a synthetic stock Remington 700 and a nice Remington pad and it kicked less than my 30 30.