Ready to buy a Glock 19...Give me a thumbs up or your reason not to

Guest BPM

[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1351898076' post='837999']
Thumbs down. They are good guns but I don’t buy foreign made when I have an American made choice that is better.[/quote]

Tell that to our military suppliers, please, that have been handing out Italian Berettas for 25+ years...
[quote name='Patton' timestamp='1351948179' post='838279']

Most likely one of largest suppliers of firearms to law enforcement, GT Distribuhors, has dropped their S&W's because of a lack of agreement with territories. I think it will be harder for S&W to catch up.
[/quote]
I don’t know why anyone would think that. I don’t care how big a distributor is their territory will be covered by a new distributor. LEO’s and LEO agency aren’t going to disregard the M&P just because a particular distributor doesn’t handle it.
[quote name='Steelharp' timestamp='1351950516' post='838301']

Tell that to our military suppliers, please, that have been handing out Italian Berettas for 25+ years...
[/quote]
I have said that; on many occasions. The 9mm is a lousy caliber for a Military handgun, and there is no excuse for our Military to be buying foreign made products with our money we they are asking us to support American business.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
[quote name='Il Duce' timestamp='1351944422' post='838248']
Not to mention they have accuracy issues that are well documented and that AWFUL AWFUL factory trigger.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

The M&P 9 was the least accurate of the bunch until S&W revised the barrel locking surfaces and corrected that problem. The M&P 45 was historically the most accurate of the bunch and rivaled cheap to mid-range 1911 platforms on that basis alone. Now that the M&P 9's locking surfaces are improved, the 9 is just as accurate if not more so than the rest of the family -- and likely any factory Glock you will pair it up against. This is well documented, as you put it. Further, we're talking about accuracy of 2-5" groups at 25yds back in the day instead of 1-3" groups now. It was absolutely still "minute of man" accurate and plenty much so to do the intended job.

I've owned both, I love both, but you will find my M&P 9 with me more often than the Glock 19 now. The ergonomics are, for me, superior and like DaveTN I do prefer to support an American company whenever I can.

There is a reason why the M&P series is gaining ground on Glock in law enforcement circles and it has nothing to do with seductive marketing or lucrative pricing. Glock has an extremely long history of excelling at both of those things for police departments and agency sales. The M&P is gaining ground because these agencies simply see it as being a better firearm for their needs, made in the USA.

Glocks are great guns. You will never see me say that they aren't and you will find numerous instances of me recommending them to people right here on this forum. But the M&P is not some second-rate contender to the throne and to dismiss it as such because at one time a version cambered in a certain caliber was slightly less accurate than something from your favorite brand, or because the trigger doesn't have the same [i]feeling[/i] to it that your favorite brand does, constitutes a pretty shallow argument against it or for the Glock. A better argument would simply be "[i]I don't like the M&P... I like Glocks.[/i]"

As I said before, we're talking about two handguns that have each proven themselves to be more than adequate. At this point it's largely a matter of personal preference and neither you or I have any right to tell someone what they should prefer. That's up to the buyer. They should prefer a gun that they like, have confidence in, can shoot well, and will carry regularly.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Steelharp' timestamp='1351939005' post='838230']
Ditto. I didn't find the M&P to be "better," at all. Different, yes, but certainly not better. This is subjective stuff; whatever works for YOU will be "better" for you.
[/quote]

I'll give you my opinion next week, Mikey. Got a new M&P 9 to try out. Gonna stack it up beside the G19 and the F Model Caracal. Dryfiring the 3, they all feel pretty similar to me. And I'm really amazed at the trigger reset on the M&P and Caraca. Very much like the Glock to me.

Just gotta decide where to try these out...G&L or Nashville Armory?
  • Moderators
I've never cared for the Glock. Just don't like 'em. I'm a certified M&P fanboy, they just plain feel good in my hand. That's based off of nothing more than the completely subjective criteria of my personal preference.

This seems to have turned into an Glock vs M&P thread when it really isn't an either/or proposition. They are both outstanding guns, I, personally, just happen to like one and dislike the other.
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1351956340' post='838348']
I've never cared for the Glock. Just don't like 'em. I'm a certified M&P fanboy, they just plain feel good in my hand. That's based off of nothing more than the completely subjective criteria of my personal preference.

This seems to have turned into an Glock vs M&P thread when it really isn't an either/or proposition. They are both outstanding guns, I, personally, just happen to like one and dislike the other.
[/quote]

I don't dislike either. I spent plenty of time disliking Glocks. Now I don't. It really is all about personal preference. I'll wind up owning something from the M&P line again. I would already own a Shield if I had the right opportunity. I won't give up any of my Glocks, though.
If I could stuff Glock innards into an M&P frame and slide I would be a happy man. Because I can't stuff Glock guts into the M&P I deal with the Glock ergos with grinder, dremel, Devcon 290 and wood burning pen. If you don't mind the extra "fiddley" internals of the M&P then go for it. M&Ps have more parts than Glocks and the M&P is not quite as easy to take completely down. The M&P requires a roll pin punch and hammer. If you take the rear sight of the M&P off make sure you don't lose the disk and spring underneath it. Replace the disk concave side down. In the frame the sear plunger and spring are kind of small and may require a tweezer to remove/replace. For Pete's Sake if you have a ambi safety on a M&P and you take the gun apart watch for the tiny spring that is part of that apparatus inside.

The two guns are toss ups in my view as a save your butt gun. Most owners can eventually detail strip their own Glock, just as those GIs used to do with their own 1911s. The M&P just needs more time, tools and care when detail stripping than either the Glock or 1911. Edited by graycrait
[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1351950777' post='838306']

I don’t know why anyone would think that. I don’t care how big a distributor is their territory will be covered by a new distributor. LEO’s and LEO agency aren’t going to disregard the M&P just because a particular distributor doesn’t handle it.
[/quote]

But that is the thing GT's at least in the South has had the manopoly on the LE market so their is not a wholesaler to pick them up.
We are actually seeing Sig's in more and more LE holsters, because they are getting the best deals. I would go buy a S&W Shield but I have to pay retail. If LE agency's in TN want S&W's they have to pay retail or order them in. Police Departments are reluctant to buy guns they can't hold at the store or get to Demo. With the new law on confiscated firearms most all of these agencies are trading seized guns for new duty weapons. If there isn't somewhere to walk in and get S&W's in trade then these departments will. Of even consider S&W's. I'm not saying we will not see some M&P's in the holsters of LE but they won't appear easily for a while.
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1351868180' post='837753']there is nothing "wrong" with a glock except personal preference. The same can be said of *most* guns in the same price range, though.

The stuff I like about a glock:
accurate, reliable, rugged, simple, good sights, decent controls.

the stuff I dislike about a glock:
fat, funky grip angle, annoying trigger "safety" device, long spongy trigger pull, springs are a little strong (easy to fix), cannot change the grips.

As you can see, every single one of my dislikes are just personal taste.

The only thing I will say in conclusion is this:
do not get a glock just because a billionty other people have them and tell you to get a glock. If you like them, then by all means get one, but if you have not fired one, its the single most popular brand and should be NO problem to borrow one to try. Shoot one before you buy it, and then if you like it, go for it. If you do not like it, tell us why and we can point to something else that counters your dislike. For example if you mostly like it but that grip angle is all wrong, XD is pretty close to a glock but fixes that issue.

edit: failed @ reading, I thought it said you had not shot one, but you have. in that case, if you liked it.... that is all you need to know, is whether YOU liked it or not. Its not going to break and will be tough to wear out, its probably not going to malfunciton often (any gun can, if dirty enough or wrong ammo or bad grip, stuff happens). Its all about what YOU like.[/quote]

I am an xd guy due to the grip angle on the glock. I have been told the interchangeable back strap on the gen 4 fixes this issue tho I haven't shot one. Xd trigger is similar to the glock in that you have to shoot regularly to memorize the trigger release but this just gives me another reason to shoot

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
Well, I handled several different guns. One that I liked the feel of was the M&P Shield but I was wanting something more in a full size pistol. Ended up getting a brand new Gen4 Glock 19 with 3 15rnd mags and everything for $529. The deal was too hard to beat. I'm anxious to get out an shoot this thing:) Here's a camera phone shot of it. I also got a "butt crack" nylon holster for it. So far(the last hour), it feels pretty good but we'll see how long this $15 holster lasts... Thanks again for all the info!!!
[img]http://s11.postimage.org/rlmgn2loj/2012_11_03_16_35_39.jpg[/img] Edited by BPM