7 year old boy shot dead outside gun store.

[url="http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57558054/boy-7-shot-to-death-outside-pa-gun-store/"]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57558054/boy-7-shot-to-death-outside-pa-gun-store/[/url]

sad news, waiting on more info on
who fired the round.
[quote name='billyscott' timestamp='1355003065' post='856973']
Very sad. My prayers go out to the boy's family.

I too would like to see more details released. Just to help prevent this kind of thing from happening again.
[/quote]

I wish it were possible, but the sad truth is that this will keep happening. The only way to prevent this kind of thing is for everyone to observe the rules of gun safety. Unfortunately, some people are just undisciplined in everything that they do, which carries over into how they handle a firearm, and this is the kind of tragedy that results from it.
  • Like 2
His Father had an ND as he was getting in the truck.

[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-gun-parking-lot-killing-7-year-old-son-article-1.1216076?localLinksEnabled=false"]http://www.nydailyne...ksEnabled=false[/url] Edited by DaveTN
[quote name='DaddyO' timestamp='1355007938' post='856992']
I can't imagine having to live with something like this for the rest of my life.
[/quote]

That would be a heck of a thing to have to deal with! Prayers go out to all involved!

Dave S
  • Like 1
Terrible, just terrible. It was clearly an accidental discharge, but the father should have known to clear the weapon.

No need to punish the guy because I am certain he realizes his mistake. I feel really bad for him. I think we all have that moment where we do something that is extremely stupid. I couldn't even imagine his pain.

RIP little guy.
[quote name='c.a.willard' timestamp='1355026906' post='857105']
I think that there is a need to seriously punish this guy. Yes he has suffered a terrible loss, however a ND killing someone fits the definition of criminally negligent homicide fairly well.[/quote]

If one believes at all in the rehabilitation part of imprisonment, what would that possibly achieve? Accidentally killing his own son would seem to be the most severe lesson he could possibly be taught.

- OS
  • Like 1
Wouldn't a Felony conviction prevent him from ever owning/handling a firearm again? In opinion, the guy doesn't ever need to own another one. He has already proven without any doubt that he cannot safely handle a firearm.

Dave S
Guest TankerHC
He violated three of the four rules. He had his finger on the trigger on his "unloaded" gun and he swept his son......end result? Dead son. I dont feel bad one single iota for the father. If you dont know the basic rules of gun safety, you shouldnt be carrying one to a gun shop to try and sell it before having someone who does know take a look and make sure its clear. If you do know the basic rules of gun safety, then there is no excuse for this stupidity.

Someone posted an article on another Forum that said he took the gun to the dealer to try to sell it. Which begs the question(s).

1. Did the owner or an employee ever have possession of the gun?

2. If they did, why didn't they clear it?

3. If they did, and didn't clear it, how long after the funeral will it take for a rep from the Brady Bunch to contact the distraught dad to file a lawsuit against the gun shop? Edited by TankerHC

[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1355052653' post='857152']
Wouldn't a Felony conviction prevent him from ever owning/handling a firearm again? In opinion, the guy doesn't ever need to own another one. He has already proven without any doubt that he cannot safely handle a firearm.

Dave S
[/quote]

Yes, because we all know that laws preventing irresponsible people from doing something actually work. Oh, wait.... :dunno:

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1
Guest RevScottie
What bothers me about this story is "he didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber" Sounds to me like he was doing something really stupid and maybe even purposefully pulled the trigger with the gun pointed in the boy's direction.
There's nothing to indicate that he did this on purpose, so I'm really not understanding why some think he did it on purpose. Why are you reading more into the story than is actually there? Like so many who are inexperienced with firearms, he simply didn't have either the trigger or muzzle discipline necessary to keep this from happening. It's a tragic, unintentional mistake that he will have to live with. I can't even begin to imagine the horror of that.
easy to be a monday morning quarterback,yes the man did a calamity of errors (these things are usually filled with multiple errors)
but at the end of the day a boy is dead and a father is for the rest of his life going to be in misery
if he does not end up killing himself from the grief

RIP
  • Like 1
If this is the case, it is a perfect example of why I like decockers on my carry. Got that Glock a few months back to start using as a carry, and honestly I just feel better having one with decocker.

Don't care about anyone bashing that, cause this is a perfect example of how one could have saved an innocent life. - Not taking away any of the responsibility of the father though, this is still 100% on him.

Decockers must be engaged in order to do their job. If the father was so irresponsible that he couldn't practice proper trigger or muzzle discipline, then I seriously doubt that a decocker or even an external safety would have made any difference as they probably would NOT have been engaged. I know that's speculation, but the pattern was there.

And the article says "It's not clear how the gun went off." Seriously? Again, they're just feeding the common misconception that a gun has a mind of its own and will discharge for no good reason. :shake: Makes it easier to blame the gun, I suppose.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1