Connecticut school shooting

Obama is speaking at the high school now...it started out good, now it's not sounding so good for gun owners...

Wasn't as political as it could have been, all veiled.

I think he was humming along with the Islamic kid's prayer song.  ;)

- OS

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1355753321' post='861814']Newsflash,   The Bushmaster 223 is the most powerful firearm in America.   Reported by Fox news.   Dolomite[/quote] Ugh. This stupidity is beyond ridiculous. I'm over it. Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I've heard so many different and changing stories on which guns were where. Not that it really matters, but you'd think that would be something that was pretty easy to keep straight.

I'm not going to go as far as saying consp... that "c" word, but come on. :)

Also, isn't the Bushmaster the one they sell at Wal-Mart? 

Conn. has some of the most rigid gun laws in the country.  The mom of the shooter is getting a lot of criticism due to the shooter/son getting access to the guns she owned.  Has anyone heard whether or not she had the guns under lock and key?  My guess is she did, except for the .22 she was shot in the face with.  Maybe then the son was able to get access to otherwise securely kept firearms.

Anyway, my gun, your gun, her guns, are not the issue.  No one that is sane would even think of such atrocities.  Maybe BHO can get his liberal hollywood buddies to quit making violent movies and video games that pollute our 'kinder and gentler' nation.  Maybe he can lower the divorce/broken family issues, maybe he can get God back into our schools.

Wasn't as political as it could have been, all veiled.

I think he was humming along with the Islamic kid's prayer song.  ;)

- OS

The problem is that veiled political statements are the worst kind. He and his minions are going to take advantage

of a bad situation and make it worse.

Guest bkelm18

Conn. has some of the most rigid gun laws in the country.  The mom of the shooter is getting a lot of criticism due to the shooter/son getting access to the guns she owned.  Has anyone heard whether or not she had the guns under lock and key?  My guess is she did, except for the .22 she was shot in the face with.  Maybe then the son was able to get access to otherwise securely kept firearms.

Anyway, my gun, your gun, her guns, are not the issue.  No one that is sane would even think of such atrocities.  Maybe BHO can get his liberal hollywood buddies to quit making violent movies and video games that pollute our 'kinder and gentler' nation.  Maybe he can lower the divorce/broken family issues, maybe he can get God back into our schools.

People are always looking for excuses.... I grew up with violent video games and movies. My parents divorced when I was 5. My dad divorced again when I was 10. And I'm an atheist. Last time I checked, I haven't shot anyone. I must be defective.

Here's a thought, maybe the kid was just fucked up in the head. Some people are just born that way.

Edited by bkelm18

This debate amazes me. Armed security for our kids! They deserve nothing less. All the social engineering in the world AIN'T gonna fix this. I would expect the libtards to get it wrong... they always do. The government can't fix a busted shoelace, much less anything as complex as the mechanisms behind mass murders.

• Like 1

Conn. has some of the most rigid gun laws in the country. The mom of the shooter is getting a lot of criticism due to the shooter/son getting access to the guns she owned. Has anyone heard whether or not she had the guns under lock and key? My guess is she did, except for the .22 she was shot in the face with. Maybe then the son was able to get access to otherwise securely kept firearms.

Anyway, my gun, your gun, her guns, are not the issue. No one that is sane would even think of such atrocities. Maybe BHO can get his liberal hollywood buddies to quit making violent movies and video games that pollute our 'kinder and gentler' nation. Maybe he can lower the divorce/broken family issues, maybe he can get God back into our schools.

People are always looking for excuses.... I grew up with violent video games and movies. My parents divorced when I was 5. My dad divorced again when I was 10. And I'm an atheist. Last time I checked, I haven't shot anyone. I must be defective.

Here's a thought, maybe the kid was just fucked up in the head. Some people are just born that way.

Spock, you're an enigma. A good one.D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The finger pointing, blame game, speculation and anti-gun theme is all a result of people not willing to face the harsh reality that evil exists, and there is little to nothing we can do as a society to prevent or stop it. The only way evil can be mitigated is at the individual level. Life is not safe, and is terminal by design. That is scary to folks, and is illustrated dramatically when something like the CT shooting happens.

The fact is, we are never safe no matter where we are. Someone bent on destruction will most likely achieve their goal if they planned properly and even with all the preparedness in the world, you may still lose. Do what you can to stay protected, but accept that risk will never, ever be mitigated to zero. That is a very scary realization to the average person.

The answer to the question people keep asking is simple:

"How can something like this happen?"

"Because evil does exist."
  • Like 5

As expected, NRA loyalists are going to start falling, one-by-one until the NRA leadership is promoting compromise:

http://www.nrapvf.org/news-alerts/2010/09/nra-pvf-endorses-joe-manchin-for-us-senate-in-west-virginia.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/joe-manchin-gun-control_n_2314782.html

Manchin also appears to be the first senator with an "A" rating from the NRA to go on national television in the wake of the Newtown shooting. On Sunday, David Gregory of NBC's "Meet the Press" said all 31 "pro-gun rights" senators in the new Congress turned down his request to appear on the show. CBS's "Face the Nation" said it ran into a similar problem. Manchin spokeswoman Emily Bittner told The Huffington Post their office had no record of "Meet the Press" reaching out to interview the senator on Sunday.

In Monday's interview, Manchin was critical of assault rifles, saying no hunter needs a weapon like that, although he didn't explicitly say he would back Sen. Dianne Feinstein's (D-Calif.) ban on such weapons, which she has said she will introduce in the new year.

"I don't know anyone who in the hunting or sporting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting," Manchin said. "I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

While the NRA has always opposed such a ban in the past, Manchin said he believed the nature of the tragedy in Newtown changed the landscape.

"What's happened -- it's always been to the point when once you open it up, pretty soon you'll give up your whole Second Amendment rights, taking guns away and people not allowed to have guns. That's not what this should be about," Manchin said. "Millions and millions of people are proud gun owners, and they do it responsibly and by the law. So I think opening up and seeing the massacre of so many innocent children, it's changed. It's changed America. We've never seen this happen."

Manchin also said, however, that the NRA should have a seat at the table during the gun control debate.

"What I want to do is I want to call all our friends in the NRA and sit down and have this -- bring them into it," he added. "They have to be at the table."

As expected, NRA loyalists are going to start falling, one-by-one until the NRA leadership is promoting compromise:

http://www.nrapvf.org/news-alerts/2010/09/nra-pvf-endorses-joe-manchin-for-us-senate-in-west-virginia.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/joe-manchin-gun-control_n_2314782.html

Manchin also appears to be the first senator with an "A" rating from the NRA to go on national television in the wake of the Newtown shooting. On Sunday, David Gregory of NBC's "Meet the Press" said all 31 "pro-gun rights" senators in the new Congress turned down his request to appear on the show. CBS's "Face the Nation" said it ran into a similar problem. Manchin spokeswoman Emily Bittner told The Huffington Post their office had no record of "Meet the Press" reaching out to interview the senator on Sunday.

In Monday's interview, Manchin was critical of assault rifles, saying no hunter needs a weapon like that, although he didn't explicitly say he would back Sen. Dianne Feinstein's (D-Calif.) ban on such weapons, which she has said she will introduce in the new year.

"I don't know anyone who in the hunting or sporting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting," Manchin said. "I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

While the NRA has always opposed such a ban in the past, Manchin said he believed the nature of the tragedy in Newtown changed the landscape.

"What's happened -- it's always been to the point when once you open it up, pretty soon you'll give up your whole Second Amendment rights, taking guns away and people not allowed to have guns. That's not what this should be about," Manchin said. "Millions and millions of people are proud gun owners, and they do it responsibly and by the law. So I think opening up and seeing the massacre of so many innocent children, it's changed. It's changed America. We've never seen this happen."

Manchin also said, however, that the NRA should have a seat at the table during the gun control debate.

"What I want to do is I want to call all our friends in the NRA and sit down and have this -- bring them into it," he added. "They have to be at the table."

Yes we have. Bath Michigan among others. Why won't anyone call these people out on comments like this?

Edited by gnmwilliams
... Has anyone heard whether or not she had the guns under lock and key?  My guess is she did, except for the .22 she was shot in the face with.  Maybe then the son was able to get access to otherwise securely kept firearms.

That's been confirmed? I guess I missed it.

edit: Ah, IC, the Marlin .22, whichever model it was

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

We have the ability right now to get certain armed people in schools in Tennessee.  Our schools can hire off duty police, a security company.  I would like to see plainclothes security in schools.  Possibly approach certain interested school staff in being a reserve police or deputy so that they can legally carry.  Also the sheriff can approach staff to be trained and commissioned as 'special deputies'.  Private schools can do the same by getting certain staff an armed guard license/special deputy commission or hiring contract security or off duty police.

We just have to persuade our school systems now to use the armed guard, reserve deputy, and special deputy laws on the books to protect our kids.

We don't need to spend more tax dollars...  parents and other law abiding citizens could pick up the slack...  I outlined one such idea here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/56243-column-gun-free-zones-provide-false-sense-of-security/#entry861296

We have the ability right now to get certain armed people in schools in Tennessee.  Our schools can hire off duty police, a security company.  I would like to see plainclothes security in schools.  Possibly approach certain interested school staff in being a reserve police or deputy so that they can legally carry.  Also the sheriff can approach staff to be trained and commissioned as 'special deputies'.  Private schools can do the same by getting certain staff an armed guard license/special deputy commission or hiring contract security or off duty police.

We just have to persuade our school systems now to use the armed guard, reserve deputy, and special deputy laws on the books to protect our kids.

this still so bothers me and I still cry.............. WTF

i know how you feel.   i stopped watching the news on it.  i seen enough and know how tragic it is. now im trying to block the details out of my mind.   im not debating the gun laws cause that wont bring anyone back.