Mags loaded or unloaded

Guest Rookie_Wookie

Guest Rookie_Wookie

I've heard arguments both for and against, so looking for opinions...should you keep extra magazines loaded or wait till you're heading to the range to load?  I've heard that keeping mags loaded can ruin the springs, but then I hear people say that it won't actually hurt anything, and that even if it does, springs are easy enough to replace. 

Just curious what everyone else does? 

As Odenat said, springs wear via the continuous compression / release of loading and unloading.  Keeping a spring compressed or uncompressed shouldn't affect the life of the spring in any way - the life of the spring is determined by the number of times it is cycled between the compressed and uncompressed states.

Guest Rookie_Wookie

Should've clarified, my HD guns are loaded and ready to go...mainly concerned with the range mags/ammo. Thanks to everyone for the comments/suggestions.

back in the early 70's when i was overseas we got a large load of fully loaded m16 twenty round mags that were sealed in ammo cans.  we tracked the rail road seals numbers that were on the can with s4 and found the cans were sealed in the early 60's.  every mag fired without any problems, semi or full auto.  so load them up, it will not hurt anything.   mags have come a long way and are better made today.

The mags take up the same room in the cabinet whether loaded or not. Mine are all loaded until I go to the range, which clears up room for more rounds in the ammo cans. They are emptied at the range, brought home, inspected, reloaded, and put back in the cabinet. A couple times a year they all get dissassembled and cleaned inside and out.

Here's a group just back from the range, about to get reloaded(3 already loaded for SD) and put back in the cabinet to await the next range trip. 

8426343248_eb579a3d8c.jpg

8426361042_9692834483.jpg

Edited by 2.ooohhh
Guest Pineapple Devil

i know a guy that doesn't even load magazines to capacity because he says it stresses the springs

Edited by Pineapple Devil

I recall reading in a Guns & Ammo article back in the mid 1990s this very same subject matter.  For long term storage, +6 months, that -2 rounds is optimum for spring fatigue.  Example, if your max magazine load is 15 rounds, they recommended loading to 13.  My memory is foggy, so recollection may not be accurate.  Just my 2cents.

I recall reading in a Guns & Ammo article back in the mid 1990s this very same subject matter.  For long term storage, +6 months, that -2 rounds is optimum for spring fatigue.  Example, if your max magazine load is 15 rounds, they recommended loading to 13.  My memory is foggy, so recollection may not be accurate.  Just my 2cents.

I remember being told this myself, or rather "A 30 round magazine means 28 rounds." Close at least. Never gave it much thought.