TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

[quote name="tangojuliet" post="1118088" timestamp="1393620106"]so why the amendments??????[/quote] Looks like the amendment completely removes section 6 ( (6) This bill authorizes individuals to purchase and have shipped directly to the individual's home a switchblade knife.) Something to work on next year I reckon. Any one know if this bill is only removing prohibition of switchblade and blade length? The language seems pretty specific to just those qualities, so no balisongs? Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon. Edited by Ted S.
Guest tangojuliet

Looks like the amendment completely removes section 6 ( (6) This bill authorizes individuals to purchase and have shipped directly to the individual's home a switchblade knife.) Something to work on next year I reckon.

i figured there would be a hitch didnt think it would be that ....

The amendment removes section 6 as noted - and in doing so, removes what would have been a potentially problematic fiscal note.  As amended, teh bill now carries a "not significant" fiscal note, which should greatly enhance its chances in Finance Cmte.

The text from Section 6:

SECTION 6. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by adding the following new subsection (e) and by redesignating accordingly:

(e)
(1) A person commits an offense who employs a switchblade knife during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from a dangerous offense as defined in § 39-17-1324.
(2) A violation of this subsection (e) is a Class D felony

The fiscal note attached to this now-deleted section indicated that there was a possible increased state expenditure of $5000/incarceration stemming from the new felony, with no significant increase in revenues coming into the state tied to any portion of the bill.  This "negative cash flow" is usually very unpalatable to Finance Cmte unless it is already contemplated in the budget - which is not the case here.  Therefore, removing Section 6 removes the new felony, thus removing any new incarcerations and the resulting projected costs.
  • Like 1
Guest gunlobbyist

I had a lawyer tell me recently that the Lopez U.S. Supreme Court Case essentially struck down the federal government's power to regulate the bearing of arms in schools.  From what he said, it sounded like the Gun Free School Zone Act of 1990 was found unconstitutional and is now null.  I don't personally know how accurate that is, though.

Lopez struck down the gun fee school zone but then they passed it again with a clause claiming that guns at schools effected interstate commerce so is therefore constitutional. Its bogus but has yet to be challenged as far as I know.

Edited by gunlobbyist
Guest gunlobbyist

I will be in Nashville this week for discussions with members of the House Ways and Means Budget Subcommittee. Softening them up with calls and emails is important for me to have these conversations go well.

Please keep up the pressure!

Guest tangojuliet

I will be in Nashville this week for discussions with members of the House Ways and Means Budget Subcommittee. Softening them up with calls and emails is important for me to have these conversations go well.

Please keep up the pressure!

ROUNDS OUT FIRE FOR EFFECT !!!

• Moderators
This bill authorizes individuals to purchase and have shipped directly to the individual's home a switchblade knife.

So that was amended out? I wonder if that is because it possibly encourages interstate travel, which would be against Federal switchblade law? Or perhaps it was removed because we don't have a massive list showing us everything that the state does allow us to purchase?

Whoa, folks:  several of you are mistakenly looking at the Bill Summary section 6, instead of the actual Bill language (found here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/HB1883.pdf).  The summary does not reflect the Bill's actual Sections 1-6 in its list - rather, it simply presents six bullet points summarizing the overall features of the bill.  The amendment does NOTHING to change the initial Bill's effect on being able to order, purchase, possess, etc switchblades or knives over 4" long - see my post #532 (just about 6 above this one) for an accurate description of the effect of the amendment, which is merely to delete the proposal that use of such a weapon would constitute a new Class D felony.

• Like 3
Guest tangojuliet

Passed the full Senate today with a 24-1 vote.  

Still have the house as a hurdle and remember that the house is where it petered out last year.  

but this year is an election year :D so enough threat of "i wont vote for you"  might help :D 

I find it interesting that Dennis is the lone House sponsor.  After having won his seat so very narrowly last year, you'd think he would be careful to have lots of backing on things he brought up...well, unless you consider HB1885 as anything more than a publicity stunt.  I realize that he and Bell teamed on the previous iteration, but still...

Looks like only about 27 Senators made it in today...only 82 in the House. 

Looks like even Senators get a snow day now and then.  I guess they can't vote from home?  Hard to believe in the modern world of communication.  Let's hope our call and correspondence efforts get this through the House.  It will need Governor's signature after that right?  Any anticipated problems at the final signature level?

• Admin Team

I find it interesting that Dennis is the lone House sponsor.  After having won his seat so very narrowly last year, you'd think he would be careful to have lots of backing on things he brought up...well, unless you consider HB1885 as anything more than a publicity stunt.  I realize that he and Bell teamed on the previous iteration, but still...

Looks like only about 27 Senators made it in today...only 82 in the House. 

That should serve as a great reminder of exactly who the Republicans within the Tennessee legislature think they work for.  It sure as heck isn't "we the people."

They all need to hear their names mentioned in the same sentence as Debra Maggart's a little more often.  And if we'd toss 3 or 4 of them under the bus every cycle - maybe just maybe they'd start to come around in a decade or so.

• Like 4

That should serve as a great reminder of exactly who the Republicans within the Tennessee legislature think they work for.  It sure as heck isn't "we the people."

They all need to hear their names mentioned in the same sentence as Debra Maggart's a little more often.  And if we'd toss 3 or 4 of them under the bus every cycle - maybe just maybe they'd start to come around in a decade or so.

When referring to upcoming elections, it seems to me that the name "Harwell" should always be associated with deference to the term "Maggart-ed" as often as possible.

Status quo "leadership" is hardly something to be proud of. And of course, she (Harwell) isn't the only one who needs to be looking for a new job. There's plenty more on both sides of the aisle and in both houses who need to go back to their districts permanently.

Edited by tartanphantom

I still cannot understand the apparent opinion among lawmakers, etc. that I - as a person who can legally carry as many fully loaded firearms on my person as I have places to put them and can legally do so in most public places - would be transformed into a bloodthirsty maniac by the presence of a single >4 inch blade stuck in among all those firearms.  The length limit needs to be dropped, completely, but HCP holders should have been immune from those restrictions all along.

When referring to upcoming elections, it seems to me that the name "Harwell" should always be associated with deference to the term "Maggart-ed" as often as possible.

Status quo "leadership" is hardly something to be proud of. And of course, she (Harwell) isn't the only one who needs to be looking for a new job. There's plenty more on both sides of the aisle and in both houses who need to go back to their districts permanently.

It is sad to think that we saw more significant, positive changes to weapon and self defense laws with Naifeh as Speaker of the House and a New Jersey Democrat (Bredesen) in the Governor's office than we have seen since Republicans gained the House and the Governorship (official adoption of 'no duty to retreat' and other 'Castle Doctrine' based laws, carry where alcohol is served and so on.)  In every election, from local to national, we hear the old mantra, "You'd better vote Republican if you want your self defense and gun rights protected and advanced." Seems like this is simply a good case in point to show that is just more political BS.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Is there any way these guys can clean up the whole knives at schools law?  Did the knife rights organization not try to pursue that?  It appears that is a poorly written law that can mess someone up over a pocket knife at a school.

It is sad to think that we saw more significant, positive changes to weapon and self defense laws with Naifeh as Speaker of the House and a New Jersey Democrat (Bredesen) in the Governor's office than we have seen since Republicans gained the House and the Governorship (official adoption of 'no duty to retreat' and other 'Castle Doctrine' based laws, carry where alcohol is served and so on.)  In every election, from local to national, we hear the old mantra, "You'd better vote Republican if you want your self defense and gun rights protected and advanced." Seems like this is simply a good case in point to show that is just more political BS.

Indeed - current leadership is too damned scared about keeping the unholy alliances that got them the "supermajority" to give a rats ass about anything they may have promised RE 2A or related initiatives.  TMK, Harwell has only voted to support a single bill that could be considered (not by many, albeit) to 'advance' 2A - and that was McCormick's HB1405 this session.  She had no choice to vote affirmative on that one, given the sponsor and the reason for that travesty being pushed through as it was.  They are just hoping to toss us enough scraps that their handlers find sufficiently unoffensive to eventually make us shut up and go away, happy that we got a pittance.