What's your ammo situation?

D3vo

I feel guilty for shooting 1500+ rounds of .22lr through my 1911-22 and 10/22 in the last couple days. But that meant I only shot 200rds of 9mm, 200 rounds .223, 50rds of .25, and 20 .243. It was fun all the same. I still have supply at home.

One things certain, if I lived down here in FL my stockpile would be a lot lower. Pretty sweet being able to walk out the door and shoot whenever i want. I had to drink extra Mountain Dews so I'd have cans to shoot.

My situation improved very well this morning finding a 4lb bottle if Unique powder.  I got it for a pretty normal 79 bucks.  The unbelievable part is that I found it a Gander Mountain.  I am still light on primers, but not too bad.  I can load .38 for sometime, but like others I have stopped shooting my .22s because I cannot replace the ammo.

I have a SHTF stock pile that I started long before the madness, I will not get into it just for range time. That allows me the luxury of being able to shoot what I find now, with the exception of .22lr. I have several thousand rounds but not knowing when I could replace them I am reluctant to send them down the pipe without something in exchange, i.e. a squirrel, or something else for the cookfire.

On a side note, My FIL asked me tonight if I knew where to get some .22, I just chuckled. He told me he finished last box last week. I told him I had not seen any in a few weeks just to keep trying online and checking the stores. Then it happened, he asked if I still had some. I said I had a few, I had searched and found some online about a month ago. he asked if he could have some of mine so he could target shoot some more. He is a die hard democrat and I could not help but laugh as I told him, "that is a democrat for you, you spent al of yours so now you want some of what I have worked for and saved." I asked him how he voted last year, and he grinned and said "you know how I voted" so I told him "you reap what you sow." I also declined to "share the wealth". Does that make me an ass hole?

• Like 9

I have a SHTF stock pile that I started long before the madness, I will not get into it just for range time. That allows me the luxury of being able to shoot what I find now, with the exception of .22lr. I have several thousand rounds but not knowing when I could replace them I am reluctant to send them down the pipe without something in exchange, i.e. a squirrel, or something else for the cookfire.

On a side note, My FIL asked me tonight if I knew where to get some .22, I just chuckled. He told me he finished last box last week. I told him I had not seen any in a few weeks just to keep trying online and checking the stores. Then it happened, he asked if I still had some. I said I had a few, I had searched and found some online about a month ago. he asked if he could have some of mine so he could target shoot some more. He is a die hard democrat and I could not help but laugh as I told him, "that is a democrat for you, you spent al of yours so now you want some of what I have worked for and saved." I asked him how he voted last year, and he grinned and said "you know how I voted" so I told him "you reap what you sow." I also declined to "share the wealth". Does that make me an ass hole?

Yes and no,

yes for not "selling" some,

no because he is a lefter.

I would have said no as well, so I to am an ass hole.

Deliciously vindictive. ;)

- OS

I hate to say it , but I'm sitting pretty well in all areas to include reloading . I have been stockpiling for a long 

time . I remember the last election all to well. I have always purchased in bulk when I found a good deal. I have also

sold some recently. 

Guest Wildogre

Not as good as I would like. Like everyone else .22 is much lower than I would like. So I have gone from 4 boxes a week to one. 9mm is too low for what I want. I have some but am not shooting it now. I just ordered 500 rounds of .380 so I that is ok, but still less than I would want. 

The problem is last year was spent on building up a stash of food and shooting to become semi fast and accurate enough plus getting a good basic set of firearms. This was to be the year to build up the ammo stockpile. Seemed like a good plan last year.

After a few scores my girlfriend and I have made over the last couple of days, I am now set on all calibers I own. I'm confident I have enough to last me until this blows over. It took a couple early mornings and a little bit of luck, but we got everything at about the lowest prices you'll find them right now. I will not find myself unprepared again.

+1 I love it. :rock:

As for the original question, I have more ammo now than I have ever had. Not a lot for most here but I saw the election shortage coming and stocked up. Edited by swim615

I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I would like to shoot because of work and other activities.  When you add that and the amount of ammo I have I can sustain my current shooting patterns under the current conditions for several years.  The only thing I've changed recently is what I am shooting.  I tend to change the trend in what I shoot at the range often.  Just before all of this crap started shooting I was just getting into shooting bolt guns which means I shoot considerably less ammo anyways.  It also means I am currently shooting stuff that's not that hard to come by such as 7mm Mag and .243.    

On my weekly trips to Sportsman's Warehouse I am still passing on 9, 38, 357, 40 and 45 because I really don't need it and I am doing my part to cut back on the panic buying.  I will resume my normal pace of buying when ammo sits on shelves and not at the customer service counter.

That is too awesome. . .I too once had a (step) father in law who always voted democrat (union man). . when it would come up I would ask him why do you vote like that? You dont get a wobble check each month and I didnt think you were gay. . .good times. But no this doent make you an Ahole..  . after declining to share the wealth an Ahole might have said. . "well thanks for playing. . but Ive got to go give your daughter a good plowin'. . .have good day!"

As far as how much ammo. . Im comfortable. And I plan on staying that way. . so not shooting too much until this blows over. . .

Edited by turkeydad
  • Like 1

That is too awesome. . .I too once had a (step) father in law who always voted democrat (union man). . when it would come up I would ask him why do you vote like that? You dont get a wobble check each month and I didnt think you were gay. . .good times. But no this doent make you an Ahole..  . after declining to share the wealth an Ahole might have said. . "well thanks for playing. . but Ive got to go give your daughter a good plowin'. . .have good day!"

As far as how much ammo. . Im comfortable. And I plan on staying that way. . so not shooting too much until this blows over. . .

Mine is a union guy to, What the hell is it with unions?? He brags that he doesn't even look at name he just votes Dem down the line.

On a side note, When she and I first married he called one night and she was in the bathroom. I explained that she was in-disposed at the time and would call him back. He did not know what the term "in-disposed" meant and got all pissed off and accused me of trying to keep her form talking to him. After a big hullabaloo about it, he called agian a few nights later. When I answered and he asked for her I just said "hang on she is right here under me." To this day now her mom is the only one that calls.

• Like 3

...I explained that she was in-disposed at the time and would call him back. He did not know what the term "in-disposed" meant ...

Perhaps you should not have spoken it with a hyphen, then he would have grokked it? ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Due to me not being able to leave my weapons in the safe, I'm running low on Long Gun sporting ammo... But starting to see a little more show up around my area.. Just before the big scare I was able to find .40 and .380 CCI for a good price @ MPW and bought up several hundred rounds.. The good news is that the Horders are starting to run low on funds and their first of the month bills have showed up in the mail box.. Our Public Utilities around here prefer cash over brass and lead..  

Guest MilitiaMan

I need a TON more.  Yesterday I bought 300 rounds of 9mm (came with 60 rds of hydro-shock) so 360 total 9mm rds., 300 rounds of 5.56 and 100 rds of 5.56 tracer. Day before that I picked up 100 12g 00 shells.

Another thousand or so rounds to go with that and what I have on hand should be "ok", for now.

I'm not where i want to be for sure but i can't just STOP shooting all together. Honestly beyond protection, it's a hobby.... i actually ENJOY going to the range meeting fellow shooters, talking guns etc. So usually I'll just go with a friend and just get one lane. This way we can watch each other shoot, call shots and BS for awhile. I find that I get the same level of enjoyment without throwing near as much lead down range.

Hell this past weekend I spent a good portion of my time just assisting a family of shooters with a scope issue they were having. I just try to offset it by firing only what i can afford to lose. Like the few boxes of Tula .223 i have. I don't mind shooting that because it cost me next to nothing and i seem to run across it at least once a week at pre-gouge pricing.

That's me.  How long will this last, or will it just get worse?  I am quite frugal, so even before the hysteria, knowing each bang of factory ammo costs me $0.30 or $0.40 already sucked.  It's time to study up on dry-fire drills and when I go to the range, make 100% of the shooting dedicated strictly to technique practice.  I hate shooting with someone.  It turns into a plink-fest and a game.  From now on, I will shoot solo and have one focus. 

I have plenty at the moment, but I'm probably overly cautious about using it right now. Don't know how long the current situation will last or if there are things coming down the pike that will make it even worse.