How do you carry and why?

Guest Elvis

Holsters seem about like wallets, some like bifold(owb?),trifold(iwb?),the long bifold on a chain that don't bend cash(shoulder rig?). Some like the cardholder boxes with just a money clip on one side(pocket carry). There's no right way & everyone does it differently to suit them. I carry a trifold wallet but 85% an owb holster, a cheap fobus speeddraw, just bout due to shell out for a new one. Except when I was driving 200miles a day for work, then I was usin a shoulder rig. I carry in the crossbreed supertuck for church, my pastor knows I carry but we get a lot of visitors. CB supertuck for events the wife talks me into. With my owb I generally wear untucked button downs, polos & tshirts. When I'm out and about I tend to cover with the shirt which prints heavily. About 50% of the time I'm out and about I just open carry.
I understand advantages of cc & oc that's why I do both. Most people never even take note of oc though.
For the last year I've felt more & more like it is not the time to squirrel away and hide it from the populace. Too many things encroach on my comfort from people I disagree with so..

I don't care
I'm legal
I will tell you real quick what is Your business
I don't care
I'm legal
I haven't had any mwag calls
I haven't been asked to leave or cover it
1 in 20 appears to notice
1 in 40 says something polite or inquisitive
1 in 400 knows now what is their business

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feed back brother. I have been eyeballing a ruger sr9, how do you like it?

Sorry, I missed this post.

I like the SR9c very well, but I noticed the same thing that others have.  It is not a gun I would carry without the safety on.  The trigger on it makes a Glock look almost like a double action revolver.  Very light.

XD Subcompact 9mm in a Don Humes JIT slide.  OWB covered by a loose shirt.  I'm not that strict about covering it up.  If the wind blows and exposes it, so be it.  Same when I reach for something on a top shelf and my gun is exposed.  I'm not worried about it.  I don't open carry because I don't want to deal with the questions.  I just want to go about my business.

Edited by moondawg

I pocket carry a LCP most of the time but will OC depending on what I am wearing,I have seen a knoxville city cop go ballistic because my brother was OC & a couple of other officers with him had to calm him down.If its legal go for it,I for 1 will not be browbeat for OC & its a personel choice just like what you want to wear or drive.Also pick your weapon based on what works for you JMO

I see a lot of people here are pocket carrying.  How much are you guys practicing your draw from pocket carry?  I used to pocket carry my 642 for years.  One day last summer at work I had a bear encounter and had to draw quickly, it took me forever to get it out.  I am in a unique work situation in that it is okay for me to OC at work so I do now.  That was the last day I pocket carried and that was the last day I carried a .38.  The .38 is great for 2 legged critters but in bear and hog country I carry something a little bigger and easier to get to.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of people here are pocket carrying.  How much are you guys practicing your draw from pocket carry?  I used to pocket carry my 642 for years.  One day last summer at work I had a bear encounter and had to draw quickly, it took me forever to get it out.  I am in a unique work situation in that it is okay for me to OC at work so I do now.  That was the last day I pocket carried and that was the last day I carried a .38.  The .38 is great for 2 legged critters but in bear and hog country I carry something a little bigger and easier to get to.

10 - you bring up a good point. My CZ is in the shop, so I've gone back to my SP101 either AIWB, pants, or coat pocket. I don't practice fast draw, but I am aware of the slower draw with deeper pocket concealment and/or the likelihood of the hammer getting snagged.

I'll pocket carry my LCP in a pocket holster in my back pocket in certain situations like a quick trip to the car at a hotel. It was also good when I didn't have a good IWB holster that I liked at the time. I could draw that about as quickly as my IWB 1911. Not my prefered weapon but it works. Carried a Taurus 357 like that too but didn't like the width.

I carry inside the waist ban (IWB). I have a number of holsters from Crossbreed Super Tuck to Uncle Mike's. To tell you the truth my $15 Uncle Mikes is one of my favorites. There is no telling which pistol I might be carrying.

I also sometimes carry an LC9 or P-238 in my vest pocket or a DB380 in my pants pocket.

Edited by Will Carry
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest MinorKey

When not at work, Springfield XDs .45, IWB at about 4:30.   When headed to and from work (I wear scrubs) a voodoo tactical hide-a-gun fanny pack. 

I do the same with my XDS... just built my own IWB rig using some parts from old faithful and kydex. (they have great leather) I will have to try the Voodoo since I wear overalls pretty often.

anyone have a CC option they like with overalls?

-MK

Guest RedLights&Sirens
I carry my G23 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. Its an OWB leather holster with vertical and forward cant option. I wear it between 330-400 in the forward cant position and its very comfortable. If I dress right then it conceals pretty well but Im not overly concerned with printing.

I dress for comfort which is normaly a t-shirt and jeans/shorts and can care less about other peoples opinions. I am always courteous if people ask me about it (which very rare). Most people around here mind their own business.

Late to this party...

Glock 17/19 in a Raven Concealment Systems Vanguard 2 (AIWB)

Glock 19 in a Dale Fricke Archangel (AIWB)

Glock 19 in a Raven Concealment Systems Phanton (OWB @ 4 o'clock)

I use a single mag carrier OWB on my left hip (just shy of 9 o'clock)

I really like AIWB...having said that, it's not for everyone.

Edited by Spurholder

)Depends on what I'm doing.... working around the farm often I open carry either a Glock 17 or ISSC M22 in a serpa at 3 o'clock. CC in public is glock 17 in AIWB blade-tech holster with a J-frame in a lefthand IWB at 10 o'clock. Times when I'm not wearing a belt(work, lounging around the house or working out) it is a J-frame or SR9c in a Desantis Hot Jox(Thunderwear/Smartcarry copy).

Guest GlockSocks

XD40SC in my CBST

Glock 19 w/Old Faithful

Remington r1 enhanced w/Old Faithful

LCP in the ol' pocket

S&W M&P Shield holster TBD.  

Sig 938 in my pocket.   I was just never able to get waist area holsters to be comfortable all day in an office chair and have really taken to the small 9mm fad and the many options we have now.   A little low on round count but everything else about it is perfect for me.

The why is it is deep concealed, easy to draw, and comfortable to wear, fits in any clothing with a pocket, can even mix it up to carry in a jacket pocket or ankle rig or even a small IWB setup if I want (though I dislike it, I have a rig for it).    As someone who does not get into terribly dangerous areas often, it should be enough. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • 4 weeks later...

I carry a Sig P229 in a Don Hume holster.  Tucked under a shirt in the summer.  It does imprint a little but I am not too concerned about it since we are allowed to open carry.  With that being said I don't open carry since it tends to draw attention.