New multi tool, and lets see yours

I just got my new multi tool. Its a Leatherman MUT, which is aimed directly at military, LEO and civilian shooters. I just got the box, and have had no way to test it yet, but it seems to feel solid in the hand, and has a lot of features that make it unique to a shooter who needs a good mix of specialty and general tools.

Some of the stuff I think is noteable for shooters.

• Replaceable Firearm Disassembly Punch
  • Replaceable Bronze Carbon Scraper
  • #8-32 Cleaning Rod/Brush Adapters
  • Carabiner/Bottle Opener (For when you need a cold beer, cleaning your rifle)

Some of the stuff that made me choose it was the fact that it has replaceable hardwire cutters, which will be getting test on barbed wire as soon as possible, and that alot of the stuff is one handed operation. It'll be finding a permanent place on my belt and with my shooting gear, if initial impressions are any indication.

Does anyone else have one of these? I had to decide between this and the Multitasker 2, and this seemed a little more of a general tool with some firearms tools, than a firearm tool that could work for some general tasking. Lets see your multitool, and here your opinions on the MUT.

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130423_143232_zps5fffa0a1.jpg.html]20130423_143232_zps5fffa0a1.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/20130423_143237_zps3aed186a.jpg.html]20130423_143237_zps3aed186a.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

I like this multi-tool. In fact every time I see one I'm inclined to pick it up, eyeball it then put it back down because of the price!!!

I found them 3 places and handled them. Bass pro had them for $146, Smokey Mountain Knife Works had them for $140, and Greenes military in Knoxville had them for $155. I picked mine up off amazon for $112 shipped.  Expensive, but worth it to me

I found them 3 places and handled them. Bass pro had them for $146, Smokey Mountain Knife Works had them for $140, and Greenes military in Knoxville had them for $155. I picked mine up off amazon for $112 shipped.  Expensive, but worth it to me

I certainly don't knock you for the purchase! From all your posts you're the type of guy who'd really put it to work. As a Systems Administrator though.... I turn a screw on occasion. I can't really justify it for myself. $112 makes me want to reconsider though.

I actually have 2 Gerber Suspensions. They're sturdy enough and I like the spring loaded pliers but the tools are somewhat lacking. Especially the Phillips. But for under $50... they'll do.

gerber__03048_zoom.jpg

Those MUT's look pretty sweet, congrats on your new multi-tool man!

I wouldn't mind owning a MUT, I'd probably keep it in my range bag though, little to much bulk & weight for me to use as an EDC tool.

Anyway I've easily got over a dozen or so various multi-tools of various shapes, sizes & functions that I've picked up over the years, they are extremely handy so I have them stashed in bugout bags, tackle, glove & tool boxes, etc.

My EDC multi-tool is a Leatherman FreeStyle, it's a bit smaller than other "fullsized" models, but it is not one of the mini sized gadgets, what I like most about it is that it is shaped to fit the hand nicely, making it much more comfortable to use as a pocket knife, but the reason it is a bit smaller is because it only has a knife blade & pliers, no other assorted gadgetry.

Which oddly enough the lack of all of the gadgetry & quick access to the knife blade is exactly what I was looking for, since I primarily use pocket knives, but since I also need a pair of needlenose pliers to open the tail gate on my truck, it saves me the hassle of having to keep a pair in my truck's center console.

Thus the Leatherman FreeStyle is a bit lighter & a bit less bulky so it is a tad easier to carry than my other full-blown multi-tools, plus the knife blade is good enough that I am able to leave my other pocket knives at home, saving me from having to carry an additional pocket knife along with my other multi-tools such as I had to do for years simply because most of my other multi-tools are not very ergonomic. Edited by RichardR

My edc is a Sog EOD.  I used to carry one of the Leatherman models but swapped it a couple of years ago to the Sog.  I really, really prefer the Sog of the Leather man.  It has a much better fit in my hand after the guard things get pulled off.  The Leatherman stays with a knife of mine just so that I have another tool around if needed.  For Christmas though I got a MUT and it stays in my range case for my AR or in my daily work bag.

My Sog in all of its semi-beat up glory.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/2013-04-23155405_zpscf64d3ef.jpg.html]2013-04-23155405_zpscf64d3ef.jpg[/URL]

MUTs are awesome.  I got one for Christmas ... was one of the best presents I got ... besides the 1000 rounds of .223 and 22LR!

I keep mine in my range bag / gun area.  For EDC I carry the Leatherman Juice S2 in my backpack, and on my keychain the Leatherman Style CS.  Used to carry the Squirt but it was a bit thick for my tastes. 

I've carried a Leatherman Blast for years and it's been great.  I told my wife I wanted the smallest one she could find that had both pliers and scissors.  The scissors are really handy.  I've broken the tip off the file using it as a pry bar and I've bent and filed back to shape the small flat-head screwdriver several times. 

Leatherman-Blast-Lg.jpg

I had a Gerber that I really liked but somebody liked it more :( I love how their pliers come out the end.

Multi-Plier-600-Needlenose-Stainless_ful

My wife also had one of these that suffered the same fate.  Damn thieves. 

[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/user/drftcars/media/2013-04-24_01-23-35_989.jpg.html]2013-04-24_01-23-35_989.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/user/drftcars/media/2013-04-24_01-24-29_638.jpg.html]2013-04-24_01-24-29_638.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/user/drftcars/media/2013-04-24_01-24-45_939.jpg.html]2013-04-24_01-24-45_939.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s647.photobucket.com/user/drftcars/media/2013-04-24_01-25-35_601.jpg.html]2013-04-24_01-25-35_601.jpg[/URL]

One for EDC.One for BoB

My edc is a Sog EOD.  I used to carry one of the Leatherman models but swapped it a couple of years ago to the Sog.  I really, really prefer the Sog of the Leather man.  It has a much better fit in my hand after the guard things get pulled off.  The Leatherman stays with a knife of mine just so that I have another tool around if needed.  For Christmas though I got a MUT and it stays in my range case for my AR or in my daily work bag.

My Sog in all of its semi-beat up glory.

2013-04-23155405_zpscf64d3ef.jpg

I carry this same SOG model in my bag.  It used to be my daily carry pocket knife, but as an IT Analyst I don't really find myself needing it enough to warrant the extra pocket space - so it goes in the sling bag that I carry with me everywhere instead.  This was one of the first serious multi-tools that I got (wife gave it to me as a gift shortly after we got married) and I've purchased several multi-tools since - including Gerber and Leatherman - but I keep going back to the SOG.  It's just a darn fine knife with the tools I need!

I need to find another one to toss in my BoB.

Edited by Viracnis
super-tool-200-fanned.jpg

Bought in 2001. Taken it to two different wars. Sent in for repairs in 2008 came back good as new for nothing more than the cost to ship it to them. I've had gerbers including the one smith posted and at least five from the Army. This is my favorite. Edited by Daniel

As a repair man, I carry a tool bag every where I go.

I have tried to use multi tools in the past, every one

broke or the screw driver tips wore out FAST.

If you just need something in a pinch for

the every other week thing, they are OK.

• Admin Team

I have a MUT, I like it very much. It is carried in my field bag that I cruise timber with. It comes in handy for equipment maintenance as well as an emergency tool just in case.

eragybe4.jpg

2u6etudu.jpg

How are those White's working out for you?

• 3 weeks later...

After 15 years of carrying my original leatherman or my SOG on my belt I finally decided to pair down what I carry most days. Moving from being an automtive technician to a desk job greatly changed what I needed daily. No matter which of my single blade knives I carried I still missed a few of the tools I used to have handy. I generally have learned to dislike most of my older SAKs b/c most just had too many tools I never used enough to be worth the bulk. Well apparently my wife was listening.(and noticed all the uncarried knives that were laying around on the dresser) She got me what very well may be the best fit for a pocket knife/multi-tool for my current daily environment I've been carrying it for a month now and still find myself amazed at how often it has the tools I need without any that I don't. With the the flashlight I've taken to carrying with it I've cut my accessory carry weight from 14oz to less than 3oz, and I have 2 less things on my belt. New knife is a Victorinox Cadet with Alox scales, and the flashlight is a streamlight microstream.

8745230330_9a149478a2.jpg

Edited by 2.ooohhh