Whats your idea of a big knife?

So I have noticied some peoples ideas range on what a big knife is. Whats your idea of a large blade in length and width? To me a big blade is 10" plus long not counting handle, 1/4 or thicker, and at least 1.5" wide. My medium sized blades are 6-10" not counting handle, usually 1/4, and 1" or wider. Ive just noticied that alot of people call a knife large or big, then I see it and think its a good edc size lol. Am I the one whos proportions are out of wack, and Ive been making swords the whole time?

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

To me, a big knife is anything I can't carry comfortably in my pocket.

Yeah, there's EDC (pocket sized) and camping sized (that last one that you made, perfect size to me). The other ones are usually Predator sized, as in "I need a knife to hunt the Predator in the jungle" ;-)

For a fixed blade knife, I begin to consider a carry knife "big" when the blade gets to be 4 or 5 inches long.  For me, a knife is a tool and blades much longer than that get to be too large for everyday cutting needs and the sheath starts to hang down to catch on things.  I have a big pig sticker (ESEE Junglas) that I keep on my bug-out-bag because it's basically a small machete, but I don't anticipate ever actually carrying it on a daily basis.  When I do carry a fixed blade, it's usually my ESEE RAT-3 or a similar sized one I picked up from KFU on here a few months ago.  As you already know, knives are tools and their design should match the intended use.  Most people don't have a need for a massive blade for EDC.  People also don't want to be weighted down with a large heavy knife (kind of like the small frame pocket pistol versus a large frame 1911 or revolver).

If I can't carry in a pocket or with a pocket clip, it's big. That's anything bigger than 4 inches and some 4 inchers.  I have no use for a knife bigger than that, except for carving a turkey on Thanksgiving.

My around the house carry is a 3.2 inch Kershaw, but my EDC carries are a Case 2.2 inch (a fair knife) and a SOG access card 2.0 that's 2.75" long that I use for a money clip.

Bam! Nuff said.

43DCEEC6-A3B8-4F34-AC37-15AAEFF3B860-635

Love that pic!   :lol:

For me... blade length of 4-5" (which I tell my wife is 9") is about as long as I use regularly.  I've got a full-sized KABAR and it's a bit unwieldy for me.   It's fun to scare people with, but the only times I've used it is when a hatchet hasn't been handy.  To me, anything longer than that 7" blade is moving into machete territory. 

Are those holes for a pocket clip?!

Yeah, there's one on the other side, comes with two, as they aren't interchangeable.

Actually does barely clip in a deep back pocket like my cargoes.

If you grip the thing toward the back instead of the front, becomes a short machete.

- OS

I use a 110 Buck on game and really like the size. Anything bigger is cumbersome.

And illegal to carry in public anyway.

I'm currently carrying a CS Large Voyager, and was hoping to be able to bump up the XL 5.5" one, though.

Buck 110 is one of the greatest knives in the total history of knives.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

And illegal to carry in public anyway.

I'm currently carrying a CS Large Voyager, and was hoping to be able to bump up the XL 5.5" one, though.

Buck 110 is one of the greatest knives in the total history of knives.

- OS

I've had a Buck 110 for almost 20 years. How come it's illegal? My blade is around 3 3/4"

I've had a Buck 110 for almost 20 years. How come it's illegal? My blade is around 3 3/4"

Was reacting to his last comment, "Anything bigger is cumbersome."

So should have said, "anything over .25" bigger is illegal".

But admit I had forgotten the 110 wasn't 4" already, even though I have three, count 'em, three of them.

- OS

Mine is in pretty good shape. I've never really used it, and it's been in its leather sheath. Hit the brass with a little Flitz and it looks great. Cool old knife.

I had one as a teenager shortly after they started making it,  daily carry till I lost it in my late 30's. Decided to replace it about two years ago, got the finger grooved version. Also bought the EcoLite version, but it sucks for lockup.

Was at a pawn shop about 6 months ago, there sat one in nice shape, guy took 20 bucks for it including tax, so grabbed it too.

Had a run of really sub par stuff from Buck over last 5 years, sent several back in, and two Vantages more than once. As far as the 110 EcoLite, they told me, "that's just the way they are". Sad.

- OS