What else do I need for my AR build?

So I am putting together another AR and need a little help with this one as it is the first time I am building an upper from parts. So far I have an upper reciever, BCG, and charging handle on the way and I already have a free floating fore end.

I know I need a barrel a gas tube and a gas block, anything else that needs to be purchased? I would like to have a longish barrel around 20"-24" and still have open sights. I don't see a lot of rifles set up that way, am I crazy? I plan on putting an optic on there one of these days but want to be able to shoot it until then. Can I get an adjustable gas block that will fit on a heavy barrel and let me mount a MBUS on it? I'm not totally new to the platform but don't have any idea where to begin searching for parts aside from Midway or Brownels and don't have a clue as to what all I actually need.

Any advise?

I would avoid mounting a MBUS directly on the gas block for two reasons,  one is you have to make sure you get the right height so that the sights are on the same plane. second and probably more important is that its a polymer sight and you would be mounting it to a high heat part.  The potential for melting the sight exists.    

Also depending on the barrel you get your gonna probably want some form of flash suppressor/mussel brake.

Get a free-floating handguard that's long enough for your optic and back up sights. That shouldn't be hard to do with such along barrel. I'm not a fan of exposed gas blocks, but that's just me. I like low profile gas blocks that are under the handguard.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

Is the upper a flat top?

Yes it is.

What about ejection port cover and forward assist?

As I understand it those are included on the upper I bought.

I would avoid mounting a MBUS directly on the gas block for two reasons,  one is you have to make sure you get the right height so that the sights are on the same plane. second and probably more important is that its a polymer sight and you would be mounting it to a high heat part.  The potential for melting the sight exists.    

Also depending on the barrel you get your gonna probably want some form of flash suppressor/mussel brake.

I'm not married to the magpul, I would be happy with pretty much anything. I'm thinking about dropping what for me would be big coin and getting into some diamond shaped sights I've seen for about $200. Can't recall who makes them at the moment but they seemed like a good idea.

So maybe since my hand guard is so short I'm better off saving it for the next one and buying one long enough to install some sights on, hmmm.

Any other parts that are nessacery to building an upper? Maybe if I figure out what I need I'll get a better grasp of what to buy.

You are not goign to find a better tube than this for the money:

http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nc-free-float-hand-guard-rifle-length/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2545182639/nordic-components-slotted-customizable-free-float-tube-handguard-ar-15-aluminum-black

Make sure to buy the top rail so you can attach your sights.

As far as sights go I have ordered about two dozen of these and given them away to people:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271158352803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_7422wt_1448

They are great and for the moeny they cannot be beat.

You hear me talk all the time about a properly gassed gun and the benefits. Grab one of these:

http://bte-usa.com/parts/micro-gasblocks.htm

They are the cheapest adjustable block on the market but are very nice quality. Where else can you find a SS, not aluminum, adjustable gas block for under $50 shipped. They are clamp on which is my prefered method versus setscrews.

Don't forget a flash hider and crush washer.

Be advised, if you mount your front sight to the handgaurd, the possibilty of sight movment exsists.  Some tubes are more "rigid" than others.  If you're going to shoot irons a lot, you might want to think about clamping a separate front sight to the barrel, as close to the muzzle as you can get it.  This will ensure that the sight stays put, and maximize your sight radius, which is huge for irons.  That's what a lot of the folks that shoot irons in 3-gun do.  This here is irons guru Kurt Miller with an example.

B100_1963_img.jpg

• Like 1

Be advised, if you mount your front sight to the handgaurd, the possibilty of sight movment exsists.  Some tubes are more "rigid" than others.  If you're going to shoot irons a lot, you might want to think about clamping a separate front sight to the barrel, as close to the muzzle as you can get it.  This will ensure that the sight stays put, and maximize your sight radius, which is huge for irons.  That's what a lot of the folks that shoot irons in 3-gun do.  This here is irons guru Kurt Miller with an example.

B100_1963_img.jpg

That has NEVER ONCE crossed my mind. That is an AWESOME point sir............ or maddam. ;)

Edited by whitewolf001

Isnt attaching anything to the barrel a nono? Screws up barrel harmonics?

That usually applies to those bipods that bolt on to the barrel itself.  That goofy looking sight shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Garufa

.....hood ornaments - fine.

That gives me an idea.  A proper hood ornament is probably the only thing left that has not been attached to an AR.  I'm thinking Mercedes as it could also be used as a front sight. 

• Like 5

.....hood ornaments - fine.

That gives me an idea. A proper hood ornament is probably the only thing left that has not been attached to an AR. I'm thinking Mercedes as it could also be used as a front sight.

Pictures and a range report are now required. Also, you can use a Honda emblem for the rear sight.
Edited by Trekbike
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=1NjNEQr4lCM#

According to this video from Brownells it looks like everything that I want to do is very much possible. I did notice that it doesn't look like he used a delta ring or crush washer. Would I be able to get away with the same? This is what I have so far.

49D54B36-0D03-4D8A-BD86-E3580C74FAAE-265

Also a bit curious as to how I would go about finding out which gas block/sight mount would be a good fit for my upper. What measurements would I need to take to make sure I'm buying the right one?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Edited to add that I am seriously considering making this one a pistol instead. It just looks so damn cool with what I've got put together.

692EC1C2-5DA9-4643-ABBE-76A705C1BD55-265 Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

That gives me an idea.  A proper hood ornament is probably the only thing left that has not been attached to an AR.  I'm thinking Mercedes as it could also be used as a front sight. 

Truck nuts. Hang 'em right behind the flash hider to cut down on muzzle rise.

• Like 4

I have a very nice Heavy Duty Charging handle for sale - its Rainer Arms Raptor its ambi.  It would look real nice on it.

It sure would! Unfortunately I'm building on a budget with this one. :(

So I think I know where I'm going with this one. I'll update with pics when all is said and done.