Why do we have to be our own worst enemy?

NRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QScD986-UZE

I'm not that savvy, where the laws are concerned, but it appears the police handled the situation pretty well. Based on what I just saw, once he proves that he is legally allowed to own the items in his possession, the charges will be dropped.

That does not look good for our tourism in Nashville , that so many people come to Nashville for to enjoy our city , this guy is jest plain crazy Edited by ted

It looks like he got what he wanted; arrested. From the video it looks like they handled it pretty well. He was told right up front he was being detained.

What’s one star as a collar device for MPD mean? I doubt he stumbled onto this by accident.

That star means he has the rank of Commander. He is the Commander of the Central Precinct.
  • Administrator

Those of you who think he's stupid need to take a closer look.  He's anything but that.  Belligerent, careful, methodical, vengeful... perhaps all of those.  But not stupid.  Law Enforcement realizes this and they handle him with a 10-foot pole now.  Unfortunately they're just not swinging it very hard.

• Like 6

Those of you who think he's stupid need to take a closer look.  He's anything but that.  Belligerent, careful, methodical, vengeful... perhaps all of those.  But not stupid.  Law Enforcement realizes this and they handle him with a 10-foot pole now.  Unfortunately they're just not swinging it very hard.

No...he may be intelligent; he may have a high IQ, but he is stupid and a fool because his actions are stupid and foolish.

"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." - Thomas Paine.
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

After seeing that video, I don't agree with his tactic at all. There is no reason to provoke a reasonable cop who

is trying to gain information without trying to allow an escalation. Too intentional an act. No reason to do it.

After seeing that video, I don't agree with his tactic at all. There is no reason to provoke a reasonable cop who
is trying to gain information without trying to allow an escalation. Too intentional an act. No reason to do it.

That is the only problem I have with his tactics. I think he should have answered their questions an went about his business. The police appeared to be doing their job in a relaxed and polite manner, so I don't think there was a need for Leo to be so argumentative.
  • Administrator

"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." - Thomas Paine.

You know would probably vomit at the use of this quote to defend Leonard's actions?  Thomas Paine.

• Like 4

You know would probably vomit at the use of this quote to defend Leonard's actions? Thomas Paine.

Who? I don't know or care about this Leonard person, my concern is with the deterioration of our Constitutional protections & rights, in this particular case the 1st, 2nd & 4th Amendments.

Who? I don't know or care about this Leonard person, my concern is with the deterioration of our Constitutional protections & rights, in this particular case the 1st, 2nd & 4th Amendments.

Deteriorated how?

DaveS

It looks like he got what he wanted; arrested. From the video it looks like they handled it pretty well. He was told right up front he was being detained.

What’s one star as a collar device for MPD mean? I doubt he stumbled onto this by accident.

He's the precinct commander for the central precinct.   

Guest The Itis

The principle passes by a lot of folks.

The point is that the law and common sense say different things pretty frequently.

The law says an officer needs probable cause to search your property, and he needs to get a warrant.

"Common sense" says, if you have nothing to hide, then you should let him go ahead with a search, even without following protocol of obtaining a warrant.

However, the attitude that "only criminals have something to hide" leads to a conclusion that people who assert their rights as "guilty by reason of being difficult for no reason." The reason, of course, is principle.

The "common sense" attitude of most people have trained police officers to ask questions willy nilly, and bear down on the first person who doesn't give them everything they ask for.

The problem is that most citizens in this free country have absolutely dismal knowledge of their legal freedoms. As a result, officers have been able to overstep the bounds that their common fare are not aware of. This happens when a person is put in an interrogation room, and they just sit there not knowing under some circumstances, they are free to leave and are under no obligation to stay. How is the law being upheld there? The officers are exploiting a person's ignorance of the law. (On a side note, it doesn't help that reading comprehension is so horrible that even if people read the law they wouldn't understand a lick of it.)

How many people do you imagine actually are aware that people can open or conceal carry in their state? Well I tell you what, if everyone in a state was magically aware that it was legal to open carry, then there would be no such thing as legally open carrying individuals to be cited for "public disturbance." The environment of a public disturbance is solely caused by the majority being ignorant of the laws.

As contrary to "common sense" as these type of videos show, the effect is that more people become more aware of the laws that they live with. Even if it causes people to be aware of the legality and then makes them be active in the political process to change such laws, that is still a good outcome. Even the officers come out better, as they may realize they can't enforce and protect laws they do not know very well.

The problem is that most citizens in this free country have absolutely dismal knowledge of their legal freedoms. As a result, officers have been able to overstep the bounds that their common fare are not aware of. This happens when a person is put in an interrogation room, and they just sit there not knowing under some circumstances, they are free to leave and are under no obligation to stay. How is the law being upheld there? The officers are exploiting a person's ignorance of the law. (On a side note, it doesn't help that reading comprehension is so horrible that even if people read the law they wouldn't understand a lick of it.)

He was lawfully detained.  He was not free to go, they let him know that.  They determined they had PC to search him.  When this goes before a judge they will articulate that, and it will either be upheld or it won't.  He was arrested and charged with a crime.  He wasn't held in an interrogation room from which he was free to go, he was actually arrested. 

If it comes out that the police had good PC for the search then none of his rights were violated.  I don't see how this has to do with some random person that may or may not be put into an interrogation room they are free to leave from.  If someone voluntarily goes with police for questioning without consulting a lawyer, that is their problem.  It is not the job of the police to be a lawyer for you.  I'll never understand how police get a bad rap for the average person being a dumba**.  They have investigations to do.  It is not their fault if you choose to cooperate when you otherwise shouldn't have.

• Like 1

The principle passes by a lot of folks.

The point is that the law and common sense say different things pretty frequently.

Oh, so this is a case of him and the rest of us not understanding the law or our rights?

That’s preposterous. The lowest common denominator knows they have the right to remain silent. They also know to ask if they are free to leave or if they are being detained.
Not going to start a new thread for this, as it seems to be somewhat similar to the Elmer situation. Waiting on more info, but armor, pistol, and fake CIA badge in a movie theater.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/01/fbi-man-arrested-at-theater-had-armor-gun-fake-cia-id/

Will see what comes out of this, doesn't seem to be going for the rights violation argument but again it seems like info could come out showing similarities to Nashville.

Not going to start a new thread for this, as it seems to be somewhat similar to the Elmer situation. Waiting on more info, but armor, pistol, and fake CIA badge in a movie theater.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/08/01/fbi-man-arrested-at-theater-had-armor-gun-fake-cia-id/

Will see what comes out of this, doesn't seem to be going for the rights violation argument but again it seems like info could come out showing similarities to Nashville.

And that's why Michigan has douchnozzle gun laws, because of morons like this. I understand protesting your rights to an intolerant gov't but just going there to outright scare people and be a dumb@$$ is just disgusting.

PC on the search isn't their only problem now...  Leonard is claiming the paperwork for the silencer was in the case with the rifle..  if true that would mean the police had in their possession evidence that he was not guilty of a crime before arresting him.

So you're not just dealing with a possible 4th and 5th amendment violation but also a possible unlawful arrest...  It's silly as all get out, he could have just said the firearm is unloaded, but IMHO he was fishing for a lawsuit and it looks like they took the bait.

He was lawfully detained.  He was not free to go, they let him know that.  They determined they had PC to search him.  When this goes before a judge they will articulate that, and it will either be upheld or it won't.  He was arrested and charged with a crime.  He wasn't held in an interrogation room from which he was free to go, he was actually arrested. 

If it comes out that the police had good PC for the search then none of his rights were violated.  I don't see how this has to do with some random person that may or may not be put into an interrogation room they are free to leave from.  If someone voluntarily goes with police for questioning without consulting a lawyer, that is their problem.  It is not the job of the police to be a lawyer for you.  I'll never understand how police get a bad rap for the average person being a dumba**.  They have investigations to do.  It is not their fault if you choose to cooperate when you otherwise shouldn't have.