Best/favorite job you have ever had?

Guest Keal G Seo

For much of my adult life & up until a couple years ago I was "hobby farmer", I mostly grew a wide variety of various berries, red raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries, blueberries & strawberries, (sorry no dingleberries) but I also grew a good sized (non-commercial) vegetable garden as well as plot of feed corn & field beans specifically for my chickens.

I never really considered it "work" simply because every single day was a labor of love, something that I had built from nothing, into my own personal "garden of Eden" plus I had a tractor & as everyone knows ... tractors are just freaking awesome.

Anyway a couple of years ago I lost the farm (literally) in a disolution of property settlement with my EX, since then I've been staring blankly at all of the "not hiring U" classified adds, burning through what's left of my life-savings ...

But I'd have to say those 18 some-odd years of working on my little farm was the most enjoyable "job" I've ever had.

My current job. Aircraft mechanic. If you fly out of Nashville on United or Delta and there is a problem with the aircraft. I'm the guy that most likely shows up. Only mechanic on duty and I have freedom and variety. The airplane is mine from avionics to a broken passenger seat, its all mine. My company is wonderful as I show up and thats pretty much it. No one looking over my shoulder or wondering where I'm at. If needed, they know I'm a radio call away. I love the freedom and trust they have in me, plus I just walk around the airport enjoying the "view" that is always present. If I ever have to get a real job again. I'm screwed. The downside is, if I screw up, people die and I go to jail.

Edited by EMB145
  • Like 1
First real job was Burger King - 40 hours a week while in high school. Before I was legal to work I did a bunch of odd jobs, mowing yards, hay, and whatever.
Then went to a local small Italian restaurant and was the head cook for the summer after graduation.
Then entered the IT field and been there for the past 7 years. Currently a SysAdmin, looking to move to a different/better company though.

I was supposed to have went into aviation, had a partial scholarship to a school in Oklahoma to get my airframe/powerplant but ended up sticking with computers. My ideal job is doing what I do now, just with better pay. I really enjoy IT and especially the virtualization technologies.

Fishing in the Keys from crude sailboat. Didn't even need a license back then. Sell big ones straight to the Seven Mile Grill or to market, little ones paid a dime a lb for chum.

Living free in a tent, it provided all the bucks I needed. Couldn't last as a profession, but for 6 months or so, it was nirvana.

- OS

• Like 2

My favorite job to this day, began when I was 19 years old. I'd just moved back to Missouri and was looking for work. My cousin got me on at a lumber yard/pallet company. He and I were the only youngins there. Everyone else was old hardcore farm boys. We were twice as fast as them at building pallets, so we pretty much took over that part so they didn't have to, and they ran the saws, and everything else. It was hard, fast work, but we were young, strong, and eager to work. It was really fun listening to them ole fellers tell stories and give us whippersnappers crap all the time. If we'd been city slickers, we may not have lasted long with the hard scowled growls we dealt with from those guys. After they saw that we were down to earth young country boys that were raised to work, we had earned their respect. Wasn't long till they would come talk to us while we were working to hear about our Friday night "I hooked up with this hot lil blonde" stories ha ha!! Still miss them guys.

Mcdonalds
Auto Mechanic
Marine
Auto Mechanic
Blacksmith (current)
Construction/ Mason (current)
Survival school instructor (current)

Out of those my favorite is a toss up between Marine and blacksmith. The survival school is just now coming online. I loved both for different reasons. If I could do anything? Id farm and blacksmith, live in a cabin I built, and Id live for a living.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

My first job I was a material handler at a factory in Shelbyville. Drove around a toyota forklift all day. Then I got my CDL and worked for a paving company driving a dump truck then for an equipment rental company driving a lowboy. At 21 I went over the road. Been to 48 states again and again in my International 9400 and KW 660. I got accepted into the reserves at the Sheriff's dpt. I was a commisioned and bonded deputy. Learned a lot. Even though I didn't gain financially from it, it was the most fun. I drive a "spotter" truck now moving trailers in and out of doors at a distribution center now. Same thing everyday but at least I'm home. Going to apply with my local PD soon.
Edited by glowdotGlock

dishwasher at a restaraunt

Kennel technician at a animal shelter  (Guy that cleans dog shit)  then a dog catcher for a little while

fry cook at a dog n suds

Little over 10 years in the Army as an MP.  Lots of pieces of it that i loved but by far the most enjoyable time of that was being a  squad leader.

Turned down a PSD assignment in SHAPE Belgium to do what i do know which is being a stay at home dad for my soon to be 10 month old daughter.  This is by far the most rewarding job I've ever done.  Shes stubborn like her mother and so curious about the world around her as all babies are at this age and more laughs and scares than i could have ever imagined. It's gonna be tough for a little while after i start school full time in August.

I love working in restaurants, until I went to college all I knew how to do was swing a hammer or turn a wrench. When times got lean, or the weather got cold, I would get a job washing dishes, flipping a burger or delivering pizza.

Hands down some of the most fun I have ever had.

Then when I was somewhere in my mid twenties I realized that there wasn't really much hope of a future in it, so I went to school for something that I haven't used sense. But I have a nice office and I get to tell a lot of folks what to do all day.

I still miss goofing off in a kitchen.

The two worst jobs were fiberglass layup for Chris Craft in Pompano, FL. Working in the hull of the 55' and 60' Commander. Resins being sprayed with chopped up fiberglass is not pleasant. That lasted about six weeks and was hired by Southern Bell as a cable splicer. Working in muddy pits and in manholes with roaches and rats ( gives me goosebumps remembering that). The best was firefighter/paramedic for 27 years.
Being retired is a close second best. 

Guest Cazador

I am a self employed mechanical contractor. I always say that the worst job is the one I just finished and the best one is the one I am starting.

My favorite job was working as a server in a restaurant.  Money was great for my age and I worked with mostly hot college chicks.  We didn't have any other male servers at the restaurant, so I spent a year with unlimited tail from coworkers and customers and partied every night.  It was how I defined my college years.

This. Exactly this. I worked in a restaurant for 6 years. The public can suck at times but the money is great and the scenery is wonderful.

I'm currently a transportation analyst and the company I work for is great. Awesome pay, fantastic benefits, and 4 weeks of paid vacation. That being said, I get tired of sitting in a cube all day and I hope to do something different some day.

My dream job would be TWRA officer patrolling one of the state parks. 

My first real job was putting new bikes together at Howard's Honda. I enjoyed seeing the results of my work and was pretty much left alone. Young and dumb I and got fired for being late and hung over too often.  :stick:

My current job. Aircraft mechanic. If you fly out of Nashville on United or Delta and there is a problem with the aircraft. I'm the guy that most likely shows up. Only mechanic on duty and I have freedom and variety. The airplane is mine from avionics to a broken passenger seat, its all mine. My company is wonderful as I show up and thats pretty much it. No one looking over my shoulder or wondering where I'm at. If needed, they know I'm a radio call away. I love the freedom and trust they have in me, plus I just walk around the airport enjoying the "view" that is always present. If I ever have to get a real job again. I'm screwed. The downside is, if I screw up, people die and I go to jail.

Now I know where your username comes from. :D I just flew from KNX to Denver and back on an EMB ERJ. Not sure if it was a 135 or 145 at the moment.

Guest nra37922

Collection Manager, for a major bank in Naples FL mid 1970's.  Really enjoyed, NOT, going to Immokalee and repossessing cars at all hours of the night.  BTW there are wealthy deadbeats also they just have better 'connections'.

Game Warden with the Army.....Very Good

College Student..... pretty cool

Firefighter/EMT...Almost best ever

Part time Reserve W/O.....Awesome stuff!

Currently:

Trout Dawg

Hawg Thug

Volunteer with the United States Fish and Wildlife Service "USFWS"  (duck banding, animal control ect) The very best!

Trying to hone my retirement skills!

DaveS

Wash bay at Cadillac dealer(2 summers). Lots of hung over Saturdays sleeping in $55k Cadillacs

WV Dept of Highways, herbicide application. Basically sat shotgun in spray truck and tried not to spray little old ladies roadside flower planters.

US Forest Service. Timber management / Wildland Firefighter

Consulting Forester(current, 10yrs)

My favorite job was with the US forest service. Guv'mnt job, 8-4, most of that time was spent "not doing shit". Firefighting was a blast. I was on a chainsaw crew for 4 weeks (2 separate deployments) and just cut down random trees all day and got paid good money. Edited by Lumber_Jack