It is funny how interests change from time to time.

mav

When I got into firearms several years back, I was like a kid in a candy store when I came onto sites like TGO.  I saw so much stuff that needed (wanted).  Glocks - gotta have some of those, custom 1911/2011s - yep, high capacity semi-auto shotguns - alrighty, piston ARs - yeah buddy, fancy target 22s - you betcha. 

After acquiring the firearms I needed (outside of one, and it is on the way), I transitioned into knives and other bladed tools.  Now that I have what I needed, things have sort of lost their luster.  I still enjoy shooting all of my guns, but I have finally got to the point of viewing them more as tools instead of fancy things that go bang.  Don't get me wrong, I still prefer a 1911/2011 to any other handgun, but my EDC is a G19.

After purchasing my house several months back, my interests have now changed to outdoor power equipment.  Wood chippers, pressure washers, chainsaws, pole saws, zero-turns, backpack blowers, tools/tool chests are what interest me.  I guess I am just following the advice a friend once gave me; get all the toys you want before you get married.  :)

• Like 2
Running a homestead you mantain an intrest in all the toys. Cars and trucks, guns, power equipment (especially chainsaws) and even horse drawn equipment, as well as tractors, heavy equipment, etc. I'm bad to switch hobbies every few months Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots
  • Like 2

Running a homestead you mantain an intrest in all the toys. Cars and trucks, guns, power equipment (especially chainsaws) and even borse drawn equipment. I'm bad to switch hobbies every few months

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I have seen the knives you make.  Don't think that that hasn't peaked my interest too.

[quote name="mav" post="1019279" timestamp="1377134596"] I have seen the knives you make. Don't think that that hasn't peaked my interest too.[/quote] Thats a hobby for me. And that leads into its own intrest. It feeds my knife lust, I get to try different designs for nothing but the cost of labor, as well as sometimes selling one or two to help with cost. But making them leads to lusting after different equipment. Different hammers, different grinder setups, trying different heat treats, steels, exotic woods etc. Its a vicious cycle lol. Cars are still the most expensive hobby I've had, though I'm getting ready to start on these two big Husky chainsaws. 371 xp and 3120 xp. Port jobs, muffler mods, and unlimited coils. Hopefully that doesn't break the freaking bank. But power equipment is tons of fun. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots
Itll never change! My wife hates that I keep moving from 1 thing to the next. And what ever I buy I buy extras for it to make it cooler.

But she cant say much, she has spent more money on college than ill ever will on stuff. One day im gonna wake up and go buy a SS Chevelle ive always wanted.

I've stuck with the same interests for the most part since I was a kid.  They keep me so busy I really try not to start new ones.  I've always liked hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, motorcycles, and women.  I started obtaining gear for all of these interests when I was a small child and over my lifetime I have become pretty well supplied.  The thought of the expense of any of these interests alone is quite substantial it's scary to think about how much money I have to spend to get into a new hobby.  About 4 years ago something prodded me to take up photography, I took it on with a vengeance and now do it professionally.  I have put thousands of dollars into camera equipment these last few years, but I really don't mind since this equipment makes my living and I'm doing something I really enjoy.

You know what they say, the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys! Go to any married couples house and observe. The women have all the foo foo dust collectors sitting on the shelves and they are absolutely useless. Men on the other hand have tools or toys that are useful. like guns, knives, fishing equip, axes, chain saws, truck, 4 wheeler, boat, pressure washer, assorted hand and motorized tools. See the difference?

• Like 1
I too change hobbies quite often, i dont normally pick up new ones, i alternate between guns, off roading, rc, traveling, motorcycles, and cars mainly. One will start back up and all the others get put on the back burner for awhile. Here in the last few weeks ive gotten the itch for another sports car. But im having to fight that urge because i have a small child and a sports car at this point in my life wouldnt be practical at all. It also never fails every spring/summer i get the motorcycle bug back. I sold mine a couple years back when my daughter was born because it just never got rode anymore. The urge to buy was strong this year though. I dont see myself being able to fight it much longer, especially after my daughter starts pre-k and school ( been looking at street bobs)

So yes i know exactly what your talking about.
Guest 6.8 AR

Mav. Wait until you get into reloading. That's the "junkie" part of the hobby. My reloading room is where I go to get lost in the house.

I get lost frequently. I had to go outside, yesterday and change oil in the Bimmers to regain my sanity. I used the excuse of cutting

the grass to go outside.

Guest Bonedaddy

Dang. All I needed for a 9 pointer, last year was a .308, some slip on house shoes and flannel pajamas. Granted the house shoes were brown and the PJs grey block pattern, so I was "kinda" camoflaged, at least.

Wait till you get the casting bug, I have more molds than I can use in one day.

Some cost over 150 each, custom 4 cavity HP molds, I even have one coming in

(now get this) 25 Auto in Hollow Point, it is 4 cavity I think(see what I mean).

Glad I'm not the only one with this affliction. Over the past 6 or 8 years I've gotten into leatherworking, woodworking, reloading, survival gear, kydex molding, and that's just the main hobbies. I find that once I have all the stuff I need for any of these, I get started on something new. I don't lose interest in the others, I just lose the obsession. Cool thing is, I can pick back up with any hobby and make stuff as needed. One thing that's always been there is my taste for guns, I can just afford it better now than I ever could before.

My interests have done an about face in the last few years. Before it was mall ninja tactical everything. It was ARs or go home.

My ar collects dust. I love me some single shots, Savage lever guns, and my bolt action rifles.

The rifle I shoot the most is the little .25 X .307 Wildcat, it don't go bang fast, but it sure does with authority!  That is another of failings, loving anything .25, now I have the .25/.223 AR which is pretty nifty too.

Edited by Worriedman
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... I opted for a tractor instead of a zero turn.  When I got the tractor I decided to get the rest of the stuff I needed, which was a chainsaw, pole saw, new trimmer, edger, backpack blower, and a hedge trimmer.  I also picked this up this evening for $280.

5m9n.jpg

Price seemed pretty reasonable, and it looks brand new, so I got it.

The last thing I need is a pressure washer. 

Next year:  reloading gear.  :)

Well... I opted for a tractor instead of a zero turn.  When I got the tractor I decided to get the rest of the stuff I needed, which was a chainsaw, pole saw, new trimmer, edger, backpack blower, and a hedge trimmer.  I also picked this up this evening for $280.

5m9n.jpg

Price seemed pretty reasonable, and it looks brand new, so I got it.

The last thing I need is a pressure washer. 

Next year:  reloading gear.  :)

Is it full?  If not, that will take a good bit of coin to fill it.