Reasonable Wait for Transfer?

DangerDanJD

How long is reasonable/acceptable to wait for a LGS to perform a transfer? 

I buy almost all of my guns either though local classifies or online dealers. I realize there is certainly a benefit to supporting your LGS, and I check with one or two before ordering a firearm online, but many times they cannot come within 20% of the price I can get online and frankly, I can spend that money elsewhere. 

I normally use a large LGS in Knoxville for the transfers when I purchase online. In the past, prior to December of 2012, they advertised that transfers would normally be processed the same day they received them and could be picked up in the evenings. Over the past year, I have waited longer and longer for them to process transfers. Additionally, when I call to check on a transfer, they normally seem annoyed that I call to see if the firearm is ready to be picked up. They now advertise that firearms can be picked up 24-48 hours after delivery. The last two firearms I have purchased sat in their shop for three business days before they were ready to be picked up.  

I don't think that a three day wait is reasonable. Am I just using the wrong LGS or is a three day wait normal these days? How long does it actually take to process a firearm for transfer? 

My local Gun Shop does it the same day when day recieve the product - i think maybe they are pissed off due to you purchasing guns online - i had a similar experience with the Reloaders Bench in Mt Juliet, TN - purchased a rifle and wanted to use them for a transfer and called them for 2 days in a row to send their FFL to the seller and they never did - on my 3rd day i called the Gun Room in Lebanon and they sent it out in 10 min.  I dont know what is the problem but some people just dont care or dont need our business. Its sad but its true, my advice next time try someone else and see how it works.

Incentive? I would hope the fee they charge for transfers would be an incentive. I also pick up something else from their shop fairly often while waiting on my background check to go through. I have used them for gunsmithing services in the past as well.  I would think that keeping their customers happy would also be incentive. 

How long are the rest of you guys waiting for a shop to process transfers? 

Well you have to ask what incentive they have. Especially if it's a repetitive thing.

Go to Bill's Outpost in Alcoa.  UPS usually delivers by noon and they usually have the whatever in their books by the time you get there.  They're also happy to do it.

They also have a massive selection of very, very well priced guns.  Better than any in Knoxville.  You might check there before ordering anything online as their prices are very competive.

• Like 2

Incentive? I would hope the fee they charge for transfers would be an incentive. I also pick up something else from their shop fairly often while waiting on my background check to go through. I have used them for gunsmithing services in the past as well.  I would think that keeping their customers happy would also be incentive. 

How long are the rest of you guys waiting for a shop to process transfers? 

Then it's evident they don't value you as a customer.

Make a move.

I use 2 different dealers for transfers. My favorite LGS charges more for new gun transfers, so I don't transfer new guns through them. Instead, I use a guy who does a lot of transfer business as one of his primary sources of revenue. He's cheaper than anyone else, so he gets quite a bit of business. He's part time so you have to schedule pick-up around his schedule, but it saves a little money and he appreciates the transfer business.

My favorite LGS is also appreciative of the business, but is a little more expensive and does have the different transfer pricing between used and new guns. I buy enough new and used guns from them that they should give me the same transfer pricing, but they don't, so most of the transfer business goes to the other guy now. They are, however, very responsive and will transfer the gun on the same day they receive it if I want it on that day. So, as others have said, I think its time to find a new gun shop for transfers. 

The speed of getting your transfer processed greatly depends on the how much UPS/FedEx delivers to them.  If they get 30 or 40 boxes delivered per day, your transfer will probably be a while before they get to it.  Of course, this only happens with larger gun shops.  A smaller shop won't get that many deliveries, but they may have less people to do all the jobs around there.  You just have to use common sense.

That being said, 3 days seems excessive, unless there is some kind of problem with the transfer.  If it is a large gun shop, I would give them until the next day to get it in.  Just don't be the guy guy that calls up 30 minutes after UPS/FedEx shows delivery wanting to know if the gun is ready.  That is called being annoying, and probably won't speed up the process.

but many times they cannot come within 20% of the price I can get online and frankly, I can spend that money elsewhere. 

I’m buying new on about everything anymore. Most of my purchases in the past have been online. But the last two purchases I made were from forum dealers that came close to the online price even with tax added. I just shoot them a PM with what I want and see what happens. Last one I posted in the wanted section a member PMed me with where to get one.

The dealer I use when I do order online gets his guns late in the day and you pick them up the next day. He logs them in after the store closes.

The LGS's that I use for transfers takes about an hour after delivery. keep in mind they are making money for just doing a little paperwork (recording fee). Most in my area charge $25.00 + background check. Not bad for 5 to 10 minutes of work with no inventory overhead on the transfer. I do spend money at these stores besides just transfers, so they are happy to do it or at least they seem to be.
So to answer your question, 1 to 2 hours I would consider reasonable or if a late delivery first thing the next day. Edited by joe45

I will try Bill's Outpost. They are actually about the same distance away for me and I need to check them out anyway. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions (Except graycrait, his comment was ridiculous). 

He was kidding around.  Don't be such a stick in the mud.

The speed of getting your transfer processed greatly depends on the how much UPS/FedEx delivers to them. If they get 30 or 40 boxes delivered per day, your transfer will probably be a while before they get to it. Of course, this only happens with larger gun shops. A smaller shop won't get that many deliveries, but they may have less people to do all the jobs around there. You just have to use common sense.

That being said, 3 days seems excessive, unless there is some kind of problem with the transfer. If it is a large gun shop, I would give them until the next day to get it in. Just don't be the guy guy that calls up 30 minutes after UPS/FedEx shows delivery wanting to know if the gun is ready. That is called being annoying, and probably won't speed up the process.

This. Where I work we have gotten in upwards of 50 guns at one time. Every single one of them the serial has to be verified and has to be put in the books. A transfer may be first or it maybe 50th. While I agree that 3 days may be a little excessive.

I did a transfer through a LGS recently and it was a bit of a headache. Between Wholesalehunter being snowed under by orders and apparently losing the documents my LGS claimed he sent them first time around and the LGS not having a lot of incentive to facilitate the deal, it was a real PITA to get them both communicating with each other. It all worked out in the end though.

With that said, the actual process itself was "same day" but it just got confounded by an annoying series of issues.

Edited by tnguy

I buy almost all of my guns either though local classifies or online dealers. I realize there is certainly a benefit to supporting your LGS, and I check with one or two before ordering a firearm online, but many times they cannot come within 20% of the price I can get online and frankly, I can spend that money elsewhere. 

Well in re-reading the OP perhaps the problem is that the LGS is being asked to give service to someone who orders a gun from somebody else and then maybe picks up a box of ammo. 

I believe it's in the LGS best interest to give the best service to their customers that actually support them.

Well in re-reading the OP perhaps the problem is that the LGS is being asked to give service to someone who orders a gun from somebody else and then maybe picks up a box of ammo. 

I believe it's in the LGS best interest to give the best service to their customers that actually support them.

It's in their interest to give their best service to anyone they deal with. That transfer today could be a 1500 gun and a couple of thousand rounds next month.

Everyone is certainly free to run their business the way they see fit. They offer as one of their business services, gun transfers. They charge $30 for the transfer and $10 for the background check. Even if I never bought anything else from them, I would consider myself a customer. 

I think it comes down to the fact that it is a business decision. This store likely gets in a number of guns to transfer on a daily basis. They have decided that instead of hiring more staff to process them expeditiously, a three day wait is acceptable. That's fine. They will lose my business for transfers but I don't hold it against them personally or anything and I'm not going to post a negative review. 

Regardless, I wasn't trying to attack this LGS, just trying to get some input regarding wait times. I originally posted because I didn't think a three day wait was reasonable. It seems from everyone who has commented, that my original feeling was correct and I will be trying a new LGS in the future.