Walmart workers to strike?

Y'all seen this nonsense? Walmart workers are trying to strike with intentions of Unionizing.

I've got no love for Walmart but they should fire EVERY single one of them and send a message. If you don't like the condition of you employment....quit! Instead we will see more communist BS and Walmart will suffer the cancerous tumor that is unionized labor. I hope for walmarts sake, they cut this off before it becomes malignant.
  • Like 3
Wal-Mart will put the fear of God into every single employee. Wal-Mart takes the threat of a possible union very seriously, and they won't hesitate to make your time of employment as miserable as possible, if not simply fire you a** for allowing the word the come out yo' mouf. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1

Sorry Mike but there is something wrong with that.  If they don't like the pay rate, benefits, hours, etc, move on.  Free country. 

Unions suck companies dry, decrease productivity and lower quality.  Period.  If any worker has a serious issue of safety or other non money grab issue, there are any number of attorneys or state and fed agencies ready to swoop in and protect them.  Their time has passed.

• Like 10
  • Moderators
I have no issue with private sector unions. If they think it will work for them, they should have at it. They might run into a slight problem though. Striking work forces work best when in the context of skilled labor. Walmart is NOT skilled labor. If the entire store labor force struck, they could have new employees in place and the stores running as before in a couple weeks if not days. This is one of the major contributing factors to the almost total lack of unions in retail.
  • Like 3
They can strike if they want. Walmart can fire them if they want. No shortage of people who need a paycheck in this country. For some reason all of a sudden Americans are blaming their employers for why they aren't getting paid as much as a skilled trade or educated person while not identifying they are neither. Want to get paid as much as a doctor? Go be a damn doctor. Seesh. What a bunch of ungrateful leeches. I hope they all get fired.
  • Like 7

I have no issue with private sector unions. If they think it will work for them, they should have at it. They might run into a slight problem though. Striking work forces work best when in the context of skilled labor. Walmart is NOT skilled labor. If the entire store labor force struck, they could have new employees in place and the stores running as before in a couple weeks if not days. This is one of the major contributing factors to the almost total lack of unions in retail.

That's exactly right. Walmart could replace them fast, then just call the police and have them arrested for loitering.
  • Like 1

Walmart's workers must not read the news.  There are hundreds of people, many with better educations and skills, who would be thrilled to replace them.

Lord knows it couldn't be much worse no matter what demographic they pull them from.

- OS

• Like 1

Hope Walmart takes a cue from Ronald Reagan-- nobody is irreplaceable. Especially unskilled retail workers. You either work for what you agreed to work for, or you go somewhere else. Better yet, you become your own boss and engage in entrepreneurship.

tower.jpg

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1
Guest ThePunisher

For some reason all of a sudden Americans are blaming their employers for why they aren't getting paid as much as a skilled trade or educated person while not identifying they are neither. Want to get paid as much as a doctor? Go be a damn doctor. Seesh. What a bunch of ungrateful leeches. I hope they all get fired.

Obamacare is gonna see to it that Doctors won't be making as much money as they once made. Some of these Doctors might be looking for part-time work at Walmart. Walmart won't have any problems getting employees now, as more people are seeking a second job since their full time jobs are being reduced in hours thanks to Obamacare. The current lower gene pool of Walmart workers will probably be replaced with more educated and capable workers if they strike. Edited by ThePunisher

This is a really smart time to strike; especially if you are not highly skilled and in high demand employment.  Companies are trying to adapt to Obamacare but the "rules" aren't even written yet.  There are obvious tough decisions they will have to make on insurance costs, coverage of dependents, and a lot of other areas that affect their operating costs. 

There was a published report this morning's Nashville Tennessean (yeah, I know): "Last month, we had 60,000 people still looking for work in Middle Tennessee, and that has been going up over the last nine months" said David Penn, Director of the Business and Economic Research Center at the Jones College of Business at Middle Tennessee State University."  Wonder how many of those 60,000 unemployed Tennesseans would be needed to re-staff every Wal-Mart store in the area? 

• Like 1

Hope Walmart takes a cue from Ronald Reagan-- nobody is irreplaceable. Especially unskilled retail workers. You either work for what you agreed to work for, or you go somewhere else. Better yet, you become your own boss and engage in entrepreneurship. "Right to Work" is bullsh*t and does nothing but reward mediocrity.

Might want to bone up a bit on the "Right To Work" thang -- it really isn't contradictory to the rest of your viewpoint.

- OS

Might want to bone up a bit on the "Right To Work" thang -- it really isn't contradictory to the rest of your viewpoint.

- OS

You are so right... in my haste to be a top-dog smartass I got terms screwed up. I'm actually referring to "closed shop collective bargaining" or "union only" shops as bullsh*t and rewarding mediocrity.

Thanks professor-- fixed. :doh:

Edited by tartanphantom
Guest Riciticky

They can strike if they want. Walmart can fire them if they want. No shortage of people who need a paycheck in this country. For some reason all of a sudden Americans are blaming their employers for why they aren't getting paid as much as a skilled trade or educated person while not identifying they are neither. Want to get paid as much as a doctor? Go be a damn doctor. Seesh. What a bunch of ungrateful leeches. I hope they all get fired.

What he said..........................

Walmart is one of the largest, wealthiest, and most powerful employers in the country for a reason. Everyone working their without a red vest or a shirt and tie can be replaced too easily for this to work.

It's no surprise that their employees see no correlation between their pay and their skillset. I worked for minimum wage at one time and slowly moved up when I was in HS and never thought of that crappy job as a vehicle to wealth or a way to feed a family.

Sorry Mike but there is something wrong with that.  If they don't like the pay rate, benefits, hours, etc, move on.  Free country. 
Unions suck companies dry, decrease productivity and lower quality.  Period.  If any worker has a serious issue of safety or other non money grab issue, there are any number of attorneys or state and fed agencies ready to swoop in and protect them.  Their time has passed.

Either you're jealous because we union workers make good money have great insurance and a retirement package or you just don't know what you're talking about. I've worked in union shops for almost 30 yrs and I've yet to see anything as you have described happen. Companies that go belly up isn't because of a union shop and the workers it's because they lack in management and have poor business practices.
Yes there are dead beats but that may be about .01% of the union workforce. No different than any other factory that has deadbeat workers. The company I work for has a great working relationship with the union members and if they didn't want us as a union trust me they have enough money to close shop and move out. Yes this is America and those folks may be unhappy and what's wrong for wanting better working conditions more pay and benefits? Lord knows Walmart sure can afford it.
Really before you stereotype a person or persons that are union go work in a union atmosphere and you will see those guys care about there jobs there work and are good people just like many folks that work in sweat shops. Actually if truth be known union workers probably do a better job quality and productively than those non union workers.

Oh I typed this while sitting at work getting paid union wages and was still as productive as if I hadn't responded.....
  • Like 1