Who here on TGO also owns a Jeep?

TGO David

• Administrator

Wow, you have 37s and it can't handle 4.88? I had a 97 with the old 4.0 and 35's and 4.88 was like running stock. I didn't realize the new ones were so lacking on horsepower. I guess everyone trying to save every MPG possible. Don't get me wrong the 4.0 was pretty anemic as well, I guess I just had delusions that the new engine was more powerful.

Actually it's the opposite.  The 3.6L doesn't need that much gear to turn 37" tires as compared to the older engine.   4.88's would have it wound up pretty tight.  It'll more than handle the 4.88's.  :)

Here's the chart for gears and tires:

3.6L Pentastar:

gallery_2_46_253610.jpg

3.8L Engine

gallery_2_46_206669.jpg

Our '12 has the Pentastar.  Good engine as far as I'm concerned but still inadequate once you start heaping on the weight.  More HP and Torque than the previous 3.8L and the torque comes on earlier in the power-band.

One of these days I'll do an engine swap.  I just can't see getting rid of it with as much as I've sunk into it now.  She's modded up exactly the way I want and it's been a long, carefully planned build.  All it needs now is more power.   :lol:

This is a shot of it a friend took recently.  It's changed a little since then but not much.

970892_665246493504333_1314908925_n.jpg

Wow. Holy crap David. That is amazing.

Our '12 has the Pentastar.  Good engine as far as I'm concerned but still inadequate once you start heaping on the weight.  More HP and Torque than the previous 3.8L and the torque comes on earlier in the power-band.

One of these days I'll do an engine swap.  I just can't see getting rid of it with as much as I've sunk into it now.  She's modded up exactly the way I want and it's been a long, carefully planned build.  All it needs now is more power.   :lol:

This is a shot of it a friend took recently.  It's changed a little since then but not much.

970892_665246493504333_1314908925_n.jpg

That things pretty slick David. I'm in for one myself but I need to pay off this Maxima for the wife first....

• 2 weeks later...

I recently traded for a 1989 Wrangler Islander.  it's a little more of a fixer-upper than I expected, but it will be a good project for me and my boys.  (I just signed up at Tennessee Jeeps - if its anything like TGO I'll learn all I need to know!)

I know nothing about this evil disease that is known as Jeepin!

2000 TJ that has had many many owners (8 according to the carfox). It was already lifted and seems to be regeared but I haven't tore into it to figure out just what they did. The motor is clean as a whistle and it has plenty of power till your over 70 and it not that bad after.  I put the new rubber on it last year. My next addition will be a hard top and a safari top with cover after I feed my 3 gun addiction.

Jeep.jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
Guest drv2fst

Just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon about a month ago.  I joined TNJeep.com as well.  I thought it looked oddly similar to TGO.  Goin to drive some trails tomorrow actually.

Guest drv2fst

I recall that Jeep is installing a new diesel engine in some of it's non-US vehicles.  At least one version of their diesel was supposed to have much more power than the Pentastar. 

I loved the diesel engine that I had in my Land Rover Defender 110.  Loads of torque.  Needed more gears for the highway though.

• Administrator

Yeah, if they bring the Diesel engine to the JK platform it will be an ideal rig as far as I'm concerned.  I ended up selling my JKU and picked up a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 so that we would have a little more usable vehicle now that we have a baby in the house.  It's got enough "cool factor" to it to keep me alive below the waist, so I was OK with the trade.  :)

Plus I can technically say I still own a Jeep.

Yeah, if they bring the Diesel engine to the JK platform it will be an ideal rig as far as I'm concerned.  I ended up selling my JKU and picked up a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 so that we would have a little more usable vehicle now that we have a baby in the house.  It's got enough "cool factor" to it to keep me alive below the waist, so I was OK with the trade.   :)

Plus I can technically say I still own a Jeep.

I think I remember reading on one of the jeep forums that there is a diesel that will fit in a jeep and an adapter kit. It's pretty much undoable because of expense but it is possible.