My foot

vontar

Been having trouble with my foot since I went to Nashville a few weeks back.

I know I didn't trip/fall/stumble or any other way find to hurt myself.  However I did allot of walking around and later waiting for my wife outside Bridgestone for about an hour.

The next morning I got up and almost hit the floor with my first step as my ankle hurt really bad.

Since then it has been hurting off and on.

Last night it hurt so bad I could not walk on it. 

(might have had something to do with running down a neighbors dog that got lose before it made it to the highway.)

It felt like it was tearing on the inside.  I thought it might be a tendon or muscle.  Bone spur had come to mind but I figured that was low on the list.

So today, instead of going to work, I went to the doctor and they took an x-ray of it.

They found a nice bone spur.  The doctor said it is fairly bad.

Not sure if you can really make it out in this picture or not.

IMG_20130923_145542_zps4f49ca8b.jpg

He put me on some medicine to bring down the swelling.  Not sure what my next step will be.

At least I didn't shoot it.

Edited by vontar
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Been having trouble with my foot since I went to Nashville a few weeks back.

I know I didn't trip/fall/stumble or any other way find to hurt myself. However I did allot of walking around and later waiting for my wife outside Bridgestone for about an hour.

The next morning I got up and almost hit the floor with my first step as my ankle hurt really bad.

Since then it has been hurting off and on.
Last night it hurt so bad I could not walk on it.
(might have had something to do with running down a neighbors dog that got lose before it made it to the highway.)

It felt like it was tearing on the inside. I thought it might be a tendon or muscle. Bone spur had come to mind but I figured that was low on the list.

So today, instead of going to work, I went to the doctor and they took an x-ray of it.

They found a nice bone spur. The doctor said it is fairly bad.

Not sure if you can really make it out in this picture or not.

Posted Image

He put me on some medicine to bring down the swelling. Not sure what my next step will be.

At least I didn't shoot it.

Only alternatives are surgery and steroid shots.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

He talked a little about those shots.  They don't like like fun.

Surgery there is probably no fun either.  I will be seeing my doctor again in a few days.

I am probably going to ask if I don't get surgery will that bite me in the arse later.  My thought is it will as I am not getting younger.

Guest TresOsos

Not sure what my next step will be.

Painful.

Hope you get it taken care of in the least painful and intrusive method possible.

I dealt with a bad case of plantar facsitis in my right foot for about 2 years...not fun.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

He talked a little about those shots. They don't like like fun.

Surgery there is probably no fun either. I will be seeing my doctor again in a few days.

I am probably going to ask if I don't get surgery will that bite me in the arse later. My thought is it will as I am not getting younger.

It will. Just so you know what to expect the shots hurt worse than the bone spur.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Dont want to add fuel to the fire, but about 7 years ago I had this excruciating pain in my heel ankle area, never birthed a child but can only imagine the pain is similar. Any way I crawled to the Dr where he diagnosed a torn achilles tendon caused by a bone spur. Long story short, shots until sutgery was scheduled and then a long 6 weeks to recover. He actually had to completely detach the tendon to grind down the spur and then reattach the tendon with screws and anchors.

Ask your doc if you don't do surgery, but follow protocol with shots and orthotics, will the bone spur eventually go away? Or, will it just stay there until eventually surgery is necessary.

If it won't go away, find out what the probability for successful surgery with no complications is.  You might have to do your own research to find this information. I would NOT trust one doctor's opinion, but that's me.

• Like 1
Vontar, I am beginning to face the same the same issues in my left heel. I am currently dealing with a swollen left ankle and pretty bad pain on the very bottom of the heel. I can hobble along when it gets bad still, meaning it hasn't kept me from any activities... yet.

I stand all day at work, so I get no relief there. I went to the doc a fee weeks ago to see about it, and she just talked like it was plantar fasciitis. I meekly disagreed, and pushed her for an xray. She just wanted to give me painkillers, which I don't want. Anyways, I went and got the xrays, then the next day one of their office lackeys calls and tells me there's a "growth" and that I should stay on the antiinflammatory for a month and see what happens. :/

Methinks there will be surgery in my future. I don't want pills or shots to mask the pain as the spur continues to grow; I want it gone! Plus, the month + recovery will give me lots of time to play guitar and load ammo!
  • Like 1

I dealt with a bad case of plantar facsitis in my right foot for about 2 years...not fun.

Yep, that can be pretty bad.

Bout six months ago I was doing my usual 4 miler to the Y, took a simple step on flat ground, just like the 5,000 or so that got me to that one, YEEOOWW!, felt like whole bottom of foot had been ripped apart.

Eventually started limping back, made it about a mile, gave up and called a cab.

I was lucky though, at least so far, 'bout 6 weeks later was back pretty much to snuff, been doing same 8 mile round tripper pretty regular since. Figure I haven't seen the last of it though, as plantar fasciitis is likely to recur.

I think it's mostly fine tuned athletes like me and Kobe Bryant and others tend to get it. :)

- OS

I am like musicman, I don't want pain pills, I want it normal.

I have been losing some weight this summer and plan to keep that up.  At my current rate, i was hoping to be in shape to start hiking and camping again next spring.  I have had a 3-5 day trip planned but with this, it is out of the question

Bone spurs are in their own way normal.  That spur just didn't pop up, it has been developing for years.  Surgery is not the answer, nor is searching for a cure over the internet, especially from people that tend to shoot first and ask questions later . :cool: I treat these things for a living.  If you want, you can PM me for a little free advice. 

Dad had surgery to remove a bone spur in his knee about 6 weeks ago.  So far, there hasn't been much improvement.  The doc said there wasn't much cartilage left in the joint, so what he's likely feeling is bone on bone.  The doc's advice was to take the cortisone shots for as long as they'll help and then it's time for knee replacement. 

Chances R, please share with us. I've had the same issues. Right elbow has had several bone spurs. Broke some off and had to have arthroscopic surgery twice. Couldn't even come close to straightening my arm out. Good luck Vontar.

Not all spurs are created equally, therefore, no one solution. Also, not all spurs cause problems. At least 25% of the population have heel spurs; most don't hurt. Those that do can be treated successfully with proper shoe wear, routine and proper stretching exercises, nite splints and anti-inflammatories. These didn't develop overnite and will not improve overnite as well. It takes time and patience. If you have had pain for several weeks probably time to seek professional help.