Season 4

Oh Shoot

Lame. Darryl getting in touch with his feelings. 

Not what this show needs at this point.

I can't "+" this enough.  There's no time for character studies or worrying about feelings. If they want to get likkered up then do it proper and have a good time.  Make it a party.

BTW, Darryl either needs to cut his hair or tie that greasy mess up in a ponytail.

I want them going from town to town, showing us what everyday things look like in a post-apocalyptic world and KILLIN' ZOMBIES!

Edited by Garufa

I rather enjoyed the episode. Since Daryl is really the main continuing hero in the whole shebang, I though it was rather nifty to get an insight into the fact that he had only basically been a cracker scuzzball, and only a bit less so than Merle.

Not meaning to equate the character changes he's had to go through with high classical drama or anything, but it nevertheless lends a bit of literary catharsis to the proceedings -- matters of conscience, rising above lowly circumstances, atonement and redemption, all that sort of stuff. And I actually liked the burning of the cabin as the symbolic unchaining from his past, and yadda yadda.

Anyway, thought it was fairly high minded effort on the writers' part and so I'm not gonna diss it. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

I rather enjoyed the episode. Since Daryl is really the main continuing hero in the whole shebang, I though it was rather nifty to get an insight into the fact that he had only basically been a cracker scuzzball, and only a bit less so than Merle.

Not meaning to equate the character changes he's had to go through with high classical drama or anything, but it nevertheless lends a bit of literary catharsis to the proceedings -- matters of conscience, rising above lowly circumstances, atonement and redemption, all that sort of stuff. And I actually liked the burning of the cabin as the symbolic unchaining from his past, and yadda yadda.

Anyway, thought it was fairly high minded effort on the writers' part and so I'm not gonna diss it. :)

- OS

I liked it, too, and agree with many of your points.  I do have to say that I wasn't at all surprised at the 'reveal' of Daryl's past.  In fact, based on things he has said in past seasons, I would have been surprised if it had been any different and really didn't get all the trying to guess what he did, before, that other members of the group were doing.

As far as the crying scene, as I said in a discussion on another forum, it isn't like Daryl broke down bawling then went and ate a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  Like the tears he shed when he had to stab Walker Merle in the face, I saw them more as tears of rage and frustration rather than tears of fear or sadness - very much in character for Daryl.  Further, with his own dad being an abusive piece of crap, Herschel by contrast was still trying to be a good father even after the world went to hell.  In a way, Daryl lost a positive father figure when he died just like Beth and Maggie lost their father in truth.  Daryl's own, blood kin are all dead and he had to put down his brother not too long ago.  Now he has lost his surrogate family - people who, for the first time in his life, saw him as having some real worth as a human being and because of whom he could feel a sense of self-worth (like when the one kid came and thanked him for bringing the deer for them to eat, calling him 'Mr. Dixon') to the same sick, psycho bastard who killed his brother.  You also have to consider that, while Beth had been sipping at the moonshine, Daryl was slugging it back so he was probably drunk by that point.  For those reasons, the crying didn't bother me, at all.  Deciding that both of them should get wasted in a wide open, falling down remnant of a house with walkers nearby on the other hand was not something I think Daryl would do.  Not keeping some of the moonshine for possible, future use (as an antiseptic, etc. if nothing else) rather than using it all to start the fire was also not a very good decision, IMO.

I also saw some correlation between Daryl's emotional reactions and those shown by Michonne in the previous couple of episodes.  After losing her family, Michonne more or less shut down, started leading a couple of walkers (her dead boyfriend and his best friend) around on a leash and more or less just wandering from one place to the next.  When first leaving the prison, she fell back into that pattern but rejected it when she slaughtered the walker group she was wandering with, including her two new 'pet' walkers.  Much the same, when they realized that Sophia was dead, Daryl shut down.  He removed himself from the group (he set up a little camp on the farm off to himself) and coped by lashing out at Carol, Dale and anyone else that tried to comfort him or talk to him.  He never shed a tear for Sophia any more than when Merle was lost from the rooftop.  When they first had to flee the prison, Daryl seems to have tried falling back into that pattern.  He wouldn't grieve, seemed to be operating on automatic pilot and at first lashed out when Beth tried to talk to him but then he rejected that pattern when he shed those few tears and let Beth know that he felt like he failed by not being able to save everyone, stop the governor and protect their home.  His tears weren't a sign of weakness or even 'getting in touch with his feelings', IMO.  Instead, they were Daryl deciding not to give up on living no matter how much it hurt.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

The talking dead episode after this one was hilarious - possibly one of the best. You're missing some serious fun if you havent watched the talking dead! PS; the talking dead said the hanged walkers were killed due to class warfare from the staff.

I thought that was kind of obvious from the "Rich Bitch" mannequin.

Beth and Darryl at beginning with Beth getting crossbow lessons.  Anyone notice crossbow did not have a sight? 

Beth steps onto a animal trap.  At first I thought, 2 years into this and nothing has set off the trap, but then got to think, what was the Walker eating?  Guess something in a different trap. 

They find the funeral home, with 1 body ready for a funeral, 2 in prep.  One of the prep appeared to have been was was becoming a Walker.  The funeral home was too clean and orderly for 2 years since SHTF.  I dont' think anyone was actually living there, but may have been for a nomadic group going from place to place, but instead of wondering, actually had places to go.  The home was someone prepped with windows covered, but nothing in fortifications.

A dog shows up at the door and then runs off.  How a mangy dog could have survived this, beats me.  Later, Darryl opens the door thinking it was the dog, but instead it was Walkers.  Suprised he let his guard down.  Guess I need to re-watch that part, how the Wallkers didn't trip to alert system that Darryl set up.  My guess is the Walkers were lead to the door.

Beth abducted by who knows whom.  Thought at first the hoodlums that Rick avoided 2 episodes ago or ones that abducted Beth, however, I don't think so.  Darryl is drafted into the hoodlum group, he'll fit in for now, he has no where else to go, but when that group contests anyone that from the old prison group.....it maybe come interesting.

Bob, Sasha, Maggie appear to argue too much for me.  Anyone notice that Maggie is all about Glenn and not a word of her sister, Beth? 

Groups are low or almost without weapons. 

[quote name="Titansfan" post="1123161" timestamp="1394561890"]Beth and Darryl at beginning with Beth getting crossbow lessons. Anyone notice crossbow did not have a sight? Beth steps onto a animal trap. [/quote] There are many weapons on this show that do not have sights. It drives me absolutely nuts. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
[quote name="TNcitizen22" post="1123169" timestamp="1394563037"]There are many weapons on this show that do not have sights. It drives me absolutely nuts. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk[/quote] I don't remember back that far but the crossbow may not have had a sight when Daryl acquired it. He's shooting at very close ranges so only a micro dot would be worth having anyway. What bugs me is when they walk past a dadgum HMMV without even checking it for weapons or if the dang thing would start up and run.