Single drill bit

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils
Weird question-- I have one of those big sets of drill bits. Didn't cost much, harbor freight. They are good for occasional use, having all the sizes available.

So anyway I broke the #33 bit, 0.113". Its not like I do anything so precise that the #32 or #34 bit wouldn't work Just fine, but it is annoying to have a gap toothed set. In my smaller sets I can find replacements locally to avoid gap toothed sets.

What is the easiest way to get a single bit in the odd size? It would only be a buck or three bought from a local hardware store if any of them stocked that size. Ordering the single tiny part from the big online hardware stores maybe shipping would be lots more expensive than the cost of the bit? Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what stores are in your area, but my local Fastenal & NAPA stores order single bits, & parts for me all the time. They only charge shipping for rush delivery, but if I'm willing to wait for it to arrive in their regular weekly delivery they don't charge any shipping. If you're lucky enough to have a NAPA or other auto store with a warehouse (hub) store nearby, you can usually have the item in a day or less & most don't charge shipping. Good luck.

Funny about this post.  Long before Harbor Freight, I used to buy cheap tools and stuff through Enco.  I remember buying one of those large drill bit sets.  Over the years, I have broke, lost and misplaced a dozen or so.  I too have been annoyed by the missing drill bits.  I have priced the single bits, and I have decided its just cheaper for me to buy another large set. 

If I were to combine all of my smaller sets, I'm pretty sure I'd have one complete BIG set... minus, of course, one freakin' little odd sized bit. :surrender:

I don't think I have a single 1/8 drill bit left. Went through them all one day on a particularly annoying job.
Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks all for all the good suggestions, I'll check em out. Knew about McMaster Carr and Grainger, but figgered they would eat me up in shipping on one bit. Didn't know about MCS, Fastenall or NAPA.

I really like my local Ace and maybe they do have a #33. I remembered them having a lot of single bits in the past, but it so happens that Ace is about the only place I haven't looked yet, mainly because I don't get out much and the last couple of times out, Ace wasn't on the way. Have gone by several other places that didn't have any numbered individual bits, at best lucky to have most of the bits denominated in 16ths and a few 32nds.

Maybe buying two sets of anything would be the way to make sure to avoid having at least one non-snaggle-toothed set, unless a fella got unlucky and broke the same oddball size in both sets. :)

Edited by Lester Weevils

Thanks all for all the good suggestions, I'll check em out. Knew about McMaster Carr and Grainger, but figgered they would eat me up in shipping on one bit. Didn't know about MCS, Fastenall or NAPA.

I really like my local Ace and maybe they do have a #33. I remembered them having a lot of single bits in the past, but it so happens that Ace is about the only place I haven't looked yet, mainly because I don't get out much and the last couple of times out, Ace wasn't on the way. Have gone by several other places that didn't have any numbered individual bits, at best lucky to have most of the bits denominated in 16ths and a few 32nds.

Maybe buying two sets of anything would be the way to make sure to avoid having at least one non-snaggle-toothed set, unless a fella got unlucky and broke the same oddball size in bother sets. :)

I have done just that when predrilling holes. More than once, no less.

Fastenal and Grainger usually have things, but at double the cost of any competitors. The price you have to pay for convenience. 

I know your location says south east TN, but for those around Nashville that might be in this situation check Capital City Bolt and Screw on 3rd avenue. They've always come through for me for fasteners, taps, dies, drill bits, thread inserts, etc. Those guys are good, and prices are reasonable. 

Guest Lester Weevils
There is a huge hardware supplier in rossville called walter a woods. Its been years since I was in there, dunno if they still are so well stocked, but in the past if they didn't have it, it probably ain't made. I just don't get out thataway very often in the daytime on weekdays though.
Guest Lester Weevils
Finally got by the local Ace and they had lots more individual bits than the big box stores, lots of sizes and various styles, carbide, concrete, forstner, auger, etc in addition to three brands of twist bits available in most of the 64ths size increments, but unfortunately no numbered bits.

So the 0.113 #33, I'd need that thar 7.232 / 64ths bit. :) I have no doubt that some ace stores also carry the number bits.

Will check some of the other suggested sources. Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Lester Weevils

you might try pulling out 3 or 5 other bits from your set and putting them in a drawer somewhere, that way that one empty hole doesn't weigh so heavily on your mind.

Yep, that is probably the best option.

I decided to replace the bit while fixing a gap-toothed small socket set. Back when I was young'n'dumb more than 40 years ago, old dad gave me an SK Tools 9 socket set in a green steel clamshell box, saying "If you take care of these they will last you a lifetime." So the set had lost a couple of sockets and it was easy to find replacement sockets because I wasn't picky enough to look for ancient SK Tools replacements. If I'd heavily used the set would have probably broke it by now, but he was basically right that it would last a long time if I kept up with it.

I think I paid $24 for this set back in 1990.  Harbor Freight has this one for $36.99, and if you have one of those 20% super coupon savers, then this set is south of $30.  Not bad.

http://www.harborfreight.com/115-piece-high-speed-drill-bit-set-with-index-528.html

Yep mine looks the same except titanium nitride and might have cost an extra ten bucks. It doesn't make money sense to spend a lot of time trying to replace the missing bit.

Brings to mind a smaller set old dad gave me long ago, a Standard Tools metal box with numbers 1 thru 60.  It was slightly gap-toothed when he gave it to me (probably bought a new set for himself) and only about half the bits remain nowadays. Out of sentimental effort, a cheap HF set, to transfer into the old box would maybe not be completely silly. Not as high-quality bits as the old ones, of course. That set got gap toothed in an honest fashion, used it a bunch.