Pocket Carry

tnhandgun57

Depends on how big your pocket are.  If you're a big guy, pocket carrying something like a commander sized 1911 isn't out of the question.  If you're not so big, anything much bigger than what you've listed starts to look silly.  I'd try as many as I could get my hands on and pick the one that shoots/feels best.

Whatever you choose, get a proper pocket holster than covers the trigger. 

I have the sig, and it is my daily carry.  

Pros: small, 9mm, 1911 trigger, recoil isnt bad considering size and weight, accurate, well made. Ambi safety!

Cons: drops a round if you eject a loaded mag (strips off top round from mag).  Cocked and locked bothers some folks (also meaning con: has safety).  Recoil > 380. 

I would also take a look at the shield 9mm.  Its small, has a good trigger, not quite 1911 but very good, 9mm, well made. 

You list 3 heavy trigger models, you might look at beretta nano. 

I've had the Kahr CM9, I grew to love it. It has a looooooong trigger pull, like even longer than most DA's I've shot. You can't go wrong with Kahr IMO. What's wrong with the LCP? I believe in terms of size the LCP is a little smaller (just going off memory)

He was asking about 9s and the little copy pistol is a 380.   They did upgrade it to 9, LC9 might should be on your list (??).

You might not like the sig then, short fairly easy trigger and safety needs clicked off. 

you can do a side by side compare of various models at www.genitron.com if that is of any use while you look, to at least compare dimensions, capacity, and a decently accurate stab at felt recoil comparison and a few other things. 

Edited by Jonnin

Smith and Wesson 442.

5rds of 38sp +p

It's a little thicker than other options, but pockets well for me with a good holster. I use a black hills leather holster.

Long smooth DA trigger, same every time - it's consistent and accurate.

:2cents:

• Like 4

KKing, nothing is wrong with the LCP, I love it!!  Just looking for alternate pocket carry weapon(and something with a little more punch).

Jonnin, I have looked at the LC9, but most of the recommendations I have got are for the Kahr and Sig.

The kahr is better than the LC9 IMHO.   Still too much trigger for my weak hands to get in enough practice, but its a nice pistol and healthy folks can use them.  The LC9, I could not even make 1/2 a pull with one finger, and just barely set it off using 2 fingers. Its stout.

• Like 1

LCP pocket carrier here as well.

If I'm wearing cargo shorts (read something with deep pockets) I have pocket carried a Glock 27 in a Remora Holster. I usually carry that weapon IWB with the Remora, but its a nice alternative when you have to deep conceal for some reason and you want to carry something bigger than a .380.

I've been curious about trying the CM9 myself (or the Sig 938). I'd like to upgrade to something bigger than my LCP, its just hard to beat its size when you have to wear a suit on a nearly daily basis.

Edited by M1_Garand

I recently spent some time looking at the Sig 238's and 938's, before I acquired my Sig 938 SAS.  I handled just about every model available....Nightmare, Equinox, Rosewood, Extreme, etc., etc.  I liked them all....until I handled an SAS. After seeing and feeling the difference the "Sig Anti Snag" treatment makes, all of a sudden the others seemed cheap and unfinished. I can't understand why Sig doesn't do that to all their pistols! What a difference it makes!  The edges are all smooth and rounded off, even the serrations on the slide feel better on your fingers. This makes them ideal for pocket carry because there's nothing to snag on your clothing when you draw your gun. 

The SAS might cost a little more than the other models, but let me tell you, it's worth every penny. I actually got my NIB 938 SAS off Gunbroker for $635, $25 shipping, and $40 for the transfer.....making the total otd price $700. That's actually cheaper than most of the regular 938's I saw at the gun show a couple weeks ago.

If you do go with the Sig, do yourself a favor and get the SAS! You won't regret it! :)

Kahr PM9 and the sig were my favorite - with the sig feeling a bit better made - but I wouldn't put a traditional cocked hammer in my pocket.  I know ... just my decision.  The PM9 was too pricey and I can't remember what turned me off on the CM9.  In the end, I preferred the Bodyguard 380.  I shot great groups with it, and the trigger was exactly what I wanted in a pocket gun. ... but you already have a 380.

If I could stand having a cocked hammer in my pocket, I would choose the sig.  Others may know more about Kahr's striker design.

As always, choose and use a Good. Holster.

My pocket carry is a Keltec P32. +1 on using a good holster and keeping it clean. I got a good leather holster off ebay that converts for front or back pocket carry. Carhartt carpenter jeans work well, they have the larger front pockets that are cut more at an angle. 

I have been leaning toward iwb instead of pocket carry for the last few months. Very hard to draw sitting down with pocket carry but it is better than nothing.

Opinions please!

I currently carry the LCP, but am looking for an alternate 'pocket carry' gun. I am considering the Kahr CM9, PM9, and the Sig P938.

Any recommendations?

PM9 my daily companion for years now, in Stellar Rigs holster:

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Love everything about it, except the necessary tradeoff of only having 6+1, but still beats a J Frame in both capacity and slimness for concealment.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
I like the Sig 938 to me it is a mini 1911(cocked and locked), if that is not your cup of tea, my next chose would be the shield which IMO has a nice trigger and a safety if you want to use it. I am not a fan of long heavy trigger pulls.

I currently pocket carry a Kahr MK9 daily and it has delivered 100% reliability. I like the trigger action and it fits my hand very well.

I prefer the extra weight, in what Kahr calls a sub-compact; it makes this small 9mm platform fun to shoot 

As mentioned above, pockets are key with along with a proper holster and belt.

While I am hesitant to mention it, everyone does know that if you pocket carry and need to re-holster, you REMOVE the holster from your pocket BEFORE re-holstering your handgun, right?

Opinions please!

I currently carry the LCP, but am looking for an alternate 'pocket carry' gun. I am considering the Kahr CM9, PM9, and the Sig P938.

Any recommendations?

I know its not on your list but have you considered the kimber Solo? Edited by Mykltn

For pocket carry, I carry either the Kel Tec P3-AT 380 of the Kahr PM9.  For me, the key to pocket carry is an extremely thin, solid holster that covers the trigger and won't slip in the pocket or come out with the draw. I make my own pocket holsters out of the plastic sides of one gallon water jugs. I curve it around the gun and then tape it together with gaffers tape. A holster weighs less than one ounce and adds about 1/32 of an inch to the thickness in the pocket. I have some remora holsters too, but I use them for IWB carry.

To me, the limitations to pocket carry are weight and thickness. After that, it's whatever you like. I've tried the Glock 26, but it's just to heavy for me, but then I'm a real small guy.

Smith and Wesson 442.

5rds of 38sp +p

It's a little thicker than other options, but pockets well for me with a good holster. I use a black hills leather holster.

Long smooth DA trigger, same every time - it's consistent and accurate.

:2cents:

^^^^^^^

This.

I haven't found anything I like as much for pocket carry as my J Frame.

Edited by daddyo

when it comes to pocket carry you want a gun that you will not feel when it is in your pocket.  you want the gun to feel like your bill fold when it is in your pocket.  if you are all ways messing with the gun and/or feel it then to me the gun is to big.  i carry a p3at in my back pocket and don't know it is there.