Walmart north of Chattanooga is corrupt...

Drove on a road trip with the wife 2 days ago. We stopped in Jasper TN's Walmart. Saw a large amount of 9mm at $13.99 a box. They had several signs.... "3 boxes PER CUSTOMER". Just like my wife and I always do, we planned to buy 3 boxes each... which is per customer. Not group. Anyway, the nice guy felt bad about telling is he knew what the sign said but that it "means" per group. They are trying to stop the carnie gypsy resellers. I get that, but damn it, we are 2 people, 2 customers, and 2 people who shoot it, not resell it. Anyway. I did not make a stink about it. I grabbed my 3 box limit. As we were leaving, I stroll back through there to see if there was a different clerk. Well well well... what do we have here? A man and his 2 sons, with 9 boxes of 9mm. That's 3 each. I walked up to the same clerk and said " sir, that's 3 boxes per group, not per customer". He walked away fast.... in fact, you could hear him jog away once he rounded the corner. The guys who were clearly related, split up and went different ways with their 3 box limit. Now that ammo is starting to become more available, I have seen more and more of this fishy stuff. So we are walking out, and the clerk kid came up to me. He said " man I feel bad about that" I am really sorry about what "we have to do". I think he felt bad that I knew what he was doing and that I was nice, and not ugly about it. I am done with Wally ammo finding. I am just going to buy it all online, just sucks .22 is 50% over priced online unless you live on gun bot or whatever. 

Understand the power of the pen. You should of talked to the manager. Right than pointed the guy out. And tell the manager that you would be contacting walmart HQ. Gotten home sit down type it up nice and well written. Shot it off to walmart HQ and that stove manager will be getting a reply. If anything you will stop it from happening to the next guy. You can get mad and vent here. Put direct that energy.

• Like 3

I agree with the others. For the time it took you to come in here and post, you could just as easily gone to the Wally World site and hit the link for Contact Us, and told them what was on your mind. Sure, maybe nothing happens, but there is a chance someone within their organization gets tired of hearing about this sort of thing and takes some action. 

I for one would not rat this guy out to management.  He probably makes $8 an hour, that is $320 a week if he gets 40 hours.  By the time he pays for taxes, healthcare, and essential of life, what is left with $20?  I would have went up to him and gave him a dose of what integrity, respect, and honesty means to his face, and would have used my outside voice for the world to hear.  That could change this person's life.  On the other hand, if he gets written up, fired, etc.  it just builds bitterness and hate.  Just my 2 cents. 

Plus we are just a few days removed from Christmas.

• Like 2

I for one would not rat this guy out to management.  He probably makes $8 an hour, that is $320 a week if he gets 40 hours.  By the time he pays for taxes, healthcare, and essential of life, what is left with $20?  I would have went up to him and gave him a dose of what integrity, respect, and honesty means to his face, and would have used my outside voice for the world to hear.  That could change this person's life.  On the other hand, if he gets written up, fired, etc.  it just builds bitterness and hate.  Just my 2 cents. 

Plus we are just a few days removed from Christmas.

I agree. This is just my opinion but I don't think this is worth some young kid losing his job over. He made a boneheaded move and you being polite and nice about it MAY have rattled him into not doing it again. If he was an older adult though I'd be more inclined to contact the management. Either way kudos for keeping your cool.

I disagree. I think there is no better lesson in life than actions have consequences. Better to learn young when you have less responsibility. Having to answer for your actions to your employer is part of life. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I disagree. I think there is no better lesson in life than actions have consequences. Better to learn young when you have less responsibility. Having to answer for your actions to your employer is part of life.

There is a high road and a low road to teach this person lessons of life.  I chose the high road.

[quote name="Runco" post="1085340" timestamp="1388239637"]There is a high road and a low road to teach this person lessons of life. I chose the high road.[/quote] I didn't say ask for him to be fired, but I don't consider telling management about poor decisions as low road. In the end, it is up to them what to do with him. As an employer, I would want to know. I probably wouldn't fire him, but I would put him in another area of the store that wasn't as fun. The kid probably though, phew, got away with that one. He will do the same thing again and we will then keep complaining about these "inside" jobs.
  • Like 1

I didn't say ask for him to be fired, but I don't consider telling management about poor decisions as low road. In the end, it is up to them what to do with him. As an employer, I would want to know. I probably wouldn't fire him, but I would put him in another area of the store that wasn't as fun. The kid probably though, phew, got away with that one. He will do the same thing again and we will then keep complaining about these "inside" jobs.

What do you think management will do, spank him?  Informing management about serious matters is one thing, but tattle telling just because this guy bends the rules for friends and not strangers is a low road in my book.  It takes courage and character to talk to someone about having character, but doing a end round on a trivia matter of ammo box limit is low.  Just the way the world turns through my prism of life.  May not be yours.  To each is own. 

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Walmart has a rule that you cant server friends an family at the register.

I assume you are talking ab out the walmart in Kimbell Tn on old 41 north of jasper where it meets I24.

If this is the one I can tell you that he would be fired if you had reported it. That store does not play. My lil sis was fired from there for something pretty small. She had a customer that used the last on a gift card ask her to throw it away an she did. FIRED! Those have to be given back an they have to throw them away them selves.w

The fact that the guy came up to you and apologized says something different to me. I can see the "group" rule being true. I am sure that there are way to many people that come in with the whole family and pull the 3 boxes per person thing. The guy may have been telling the truth about the rule. If you weren't there when the other three first came to the counter you may have missed them being a-holes to the guy. He may have caved to avoid a scene (another thing that managers want to avoid), hence the apology to you later. If he was selling to friends and intentionally screwed you, why would he apologize. Most would have laughed about what they did to you to there friends. Again, just my opinion.

Since I don't have a wife I can't do the two person thing unless I take a buddy with me and I normally don't go alone so when we approach the sporting goods section we split up and buy separately getting the purchase limit x 2. If you and your wife would have separated just before entering that sporting goods area you both would have got 3 boxes. That is one of the ways to play the Walmart game and it works most times............jmho

I had the opposite happen to me , so it must just be how whoever is working looks at it or wants to treat you .

I had went to a Walmart and they had gotten some 22 magnums in stock . I think about 10 boxes or so. I told him I wanted 3 boxes and he asked did she want 3 boxes also because she can get 3 boxes too. I told him no , that I had bought a 22 magnum a few months ago and I just didn't have much ammo for it . but thanks and to leave them for someone else .

Edited by Keyless
I will tell you that if you want a serious complaint filed with Walmart, you must call there 800 number. By calling cust. Srv you create a paper trail within the Corporate office that has to be followed up with you by management. It does not mean the person will get fired unless it is something major. If you just tell a manager, the employee may never hear anything about it. Swept under rug. It never actually happened if you don't all 800 number. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

How is WalMart "corrupt" for trying to enforce some sanity in ammo purchasing?  You don't have to be a rocket scientest to know what they are trying to accomplish with the limits.  Next time you want to skirt the intent then don't show up as a happy throng all wanting their limit.

After the past year with people's bitching, complaining to management or corporate, employee shenanigans, playing the "push the limit" game, and inconsistent policies from store to store, I would not be surpirsed if WM just said to hell with it all.  No more ammo or gun sales.

How is WalMart "corrupt" for trying to enforce some sanity in ammo purchasing?  You don't have to be a rocket scientest to know what they are trying to accomplish with the limits.  Next time you want to skirt the intent then don't show up as a happy throng all wanting their limit.

After the past year with people's bitching, complaining to management or corporate, employee shenanigans, playing the "push the limit" game, and inconsistent policies from store to store, I would not be surpirsed if WM just said to hell with it all.  No more ammo or gun sales.

First, saying "the hell with it" would be an idiotic business decision taking into account they always sell most everything they get in stock.

Second, I have read the sign many times and it says "Ammunition sales are limited to three (3) boxes per person". It says per person, not per family. If they mean per family, they need to put it on their little sign. My wife and I are two separate people.

Edited by GoneBallistic
  • Like 1
I have family in management at that store, and I'm not allowed any preferential treatment on ammo. Not a phone call, box or two behind the counter or anything. What you experienced sucks, but I do believe it was an isolated incident. Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk Edited by will_reed

I have family in management at that store, and I'm not allowed any preferential treatment on ammo. Not a phone call, box or two behind the counter or anything. What you experienced sucks, but I do believe it was an isolated incident. Sent from my HTC6435LVW uing Tapatalk

My take on "isolated incident" is it infers it happened once, but I'm guessing rogue clerks are contributing to isolated incidents across the company on a weekly if not daily basis.

What makes it hard for the WM managers is to police the policies they put forth in good faith for ALL customers.

I hold a management position and from that perspective, when one complaint is lodged, it is an isolated incident. Average to above-average employee with no history of drama, I'll slap 'em on the hands, explain policies are not flexible, but apply good customer service and common-sense. Hopefully I've done my job properly and it's NOT back  to business as usual.

My recent experience has been ammo availability at virtually all the big boxes and LGSs within $2 - $3 of the posted $13.99 price point and with past experiences at the Chapman Highway WM similiar to the OP, I choose to shop elsewhere.

[quote name="Garufa" post="1085641" timestamp="1388283311"]How is WalMart "corrupt" for trying to enforce some sanity in ammo purchasing? You don't have to be a rocket scientest to know what they are trying to accomplish with the limits. Next time you want to skirt the intent then don't show up as a happy throng all wanting their limit. After the past year with people's bitching, complaining to management or corporate, employee shenanigans, playing the "push the limit" game, and inconsistent policies from store to store, I would not be surpirsed if WM just said to hell with it all. No more ammo or gun sales.[/quote] Dude, did you even read my post and reply or just the title? I'm guessing you just read the title and replied..... What frustrated me was that he knowingly sold ammo to a family, 3 per customer... Ok... That's their policy... 3 per customer... Not 3 per family or. Group. That's some made up and unpublished policy. So my wife and I were deemed a group and not sold the 3 per customer. That clerk knew damned well that that Gomer and his 2 sons were related and sold them the published policy 3 box max, but would not sell my wife her 3 boxes.. Pretty simple. Would you like to get pulled over for driving a certain colored vehicle and cited for it? That's a made up and unsubstantiated law or policy... Double standards is corruption... That's hat frustrated me. We had a great Xmas and this is all history.... But it did frustrate me at the time.
  • Like 2