Need 22 rifle sugestions

KahrMan

I am wanting to get a 22 that I can pink with and hunt squirrels with etc…  I would prefer a semi over a bolt and something that is made to be carried rather than shot from a bench.  

10/22s have always felt a little chunky to me.  Not interested in adding anything to the rifle except for a scope.  I have heard good things about the CZ's but have never shot one.  Which rifles do you think I should be looking at?

I really like my Remington 552 Speedmaster.  It's a somewhat picky on ammo as it doesn't feed uncoated/unjacketed lead hollow points real well.  Anything round nose or coated/jacketed works fine.  It's got irons and an integral scope rail on the receiver. 

That said, CZ's and Henry's are excellent too. 

• Like 1
I'd checkout a remington 597. I've got a 10/22 and a 597 and have to say I prefer the Remmy. They feel more like a full sized "real" rifle compared to the Ruger. The 10/22 is a very handy little carbine though, hard to go wrong with either really.

CZ makes some drool worthy rifles as well. Henry makes a great rifle too.

Go down to the LGS and fondle a few, any if them would work well for what you want, find the one that fits best.

Look for a used Marlin/Glenfield 60. You should be able to pick one up for $125 or less in decent shape. I've had two, both early 80's guns with the longer barrel and mag that will feed anything but CBs.If you are not looking to customize the 60 is a great affordable option.

• Like 1

If you think a 10/22 is a bit chunky, then I think a bolt or lever action is the only real option.  I prefer bolt actions myself for the classic lines, but you gotta go with what you like.  

I have multiple CZ's and highly recommend them, but that said I don't have one of their semi-auto's.   If you decide to consider one of their bolt actions, I think a 452/455 American is hard to beat for looks and weight.  I have a 452 American with a 16" barrel that is super light and easy to walk around with.  It has the threaded barrel as I am also waiting on my suppressor.  Best place around here to get one is Whittaker's in KY (ok, it's a couple of hours from Nashville, but still the best place to get one).  

A Marlin 39A would also be a good gun to look for.  Henry's are ok, but for me, they lack in the fit and finish categories.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

If used is an option, cruise a gun show maybe --- there are many older models that are great, old tube fed semis that hold 15 or so rounds in a variety of sizes and shapes.   Quite a few nice levers and even pumps as well.  

The 10-22 feels clunky how?  There are a number of flavors of this gun, and its highly customizable, but if nothing fits the bill, what about the modern AR-22 designs? 

I know you said you prefer a semi over a bolt and something that is designed to be carried, but unless you're gonna want something to pop off rounds quickly, I would recommend a Savage Mark II bolt gun. They are inexpensive so you can carry them in the woods without worrying about scratching it up. Plus they are as, or more, accurate as anything else costing 2 or 3 times more. CZ's are arguably more accurate, but to me, they are a little too nice to bang around. Full disclosure: I own 1 of each and they are both wonderful bench guns, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the Savage out in the woods with it's synthetic stock. I'd kick myself for marring up my pretty CZ 455 American tho. Edited by netmindr

I grew up shooting a Marlin model 60 and love it.  I am not really wanting to pop off a lot of rounds so a bolt gun may be the way to go.  

When I say a 10/22 feels chunky I am referring to my neighbors.  He has a heavy laminated stock on it.  

I guess it is time to go fondle some at a lgs.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

I grew up shooting a Marlin model 60 and love it.  I am not really wanting to pop off a lot of rounds so a bolt gun may be the way to go.  

When I say a 10/22 feels chunky I am referring to my neighbors.  He has a heavy laminated stock on it.  

I guess it is time to go fondle some at a lgs.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

That would do it.  Whereas my wife's has aluminum and a lightweight rubber stock -- I suspect it comes in at 6 or 7 pounds.   Sportsman's warehouse carries this variety, but it costs about twice as much.   Mine has a light plastic stock and the thin tapered barrel, and its not bad.  A guy I know has a bull barrel and heavy stock, its probably close to 15 pounds.  As I said, they come in a lot of flavors.   While I like my 10-22, 9/10 times I will grab my browning BAR instead, I just like that one the best.

Edited by Jonnin
One of the best 22's ever made not easy to find but worth it when you do a nicer one can be found at the gunshows some times for around $400-$450 I buy every one I can find at $400 if it is in good shape. The marlin 39a lever action. I like the older ones with out the cross bolt safety. If you buy it right it will always be worth what you paid the older ones only seem to go up saw a old near mint one sell for $750.

Forgot to mention it will shoot shorts longs and long rifle. Not a bad thing with the 22 ammo situation.

Jason Edited by Jason in TN
I'm a 10/22 fan, but I understand they're not for everyone. That being said, if you're not stuck on semi-autos, I would second the previous recommendation for the Henry guns. Nice and smooth and plenty accurate for cans and squirrels.

I've had a pile of .22s and I would recommend looking for an older Remington Speedmaster Model 552 ACL if having a walk in the woods semi-auto .22 is your No. 1 criteria.  Currently Remington only makes the fancier and more costly BDL version. This .22 has been in production a long time.  The really cool thing about the 552 is that it will shoot nearly any .22 bullet you feed into the tube.  I didn't try Stingers but I shot in one tube a mix of short, long and long rifle, subsonic, Hypervelocity and HV.  Crazy but it would shoot them all.  Of course such a mix strings up and down the target but the gun would shoot them all.  In these times of shoot what you can get the Speedmaster's ability to digest a wide variety of ammo in a semi is an attractive option.  Used you should be able to find a nice one for 300-350, maybe less one that has seen some outer wear.  Of course if you want a nice little bullet slinger semi that is light and easy to carry others have mentioned the Marlin 60 and its Glenfield twin. Over 11 million 60's have been sold. 

Remington552Speedmaster.jpg  

• Like 1

Since no one has posted it I'll recommend the Marlin 795. It's basically the magazine fed version of the model 60. I purchases one of these at Academy the day after Christmas for $129. I think they are $149 regularly. This is by far the most accurate .22lr out of the box I have ever shot. I did drop another $30 and replace the iron sights with Williams Fire Sights though. The stock iron sights leave a little to be desired. I sighted it in at 25 yards with CCI target rounds yesterday and was able to set clay targets out to 50 yards and hit 5 out of 5. It's really that good.

And boy are they light. It almost feels awkward using a sling as it feels like you don't have much attached to it. The Micro Groove barrel has wone me over to Marlins. I will be trying the bolt version next.

Edited by maroonandwhite