TN to adopt DST only?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/feb/17/no-more-falling-back-tennessee-lawmaker-wants-make/

Would you support TN opting out of the spring/fall time change and remain fixed on one time?  I personally would, I don't understand the need to adjust the time in the fall/spring.  All that accomplishes is a messed up schedule for my kids and myself.

I would like to see the nation as a whole get rid of the time change, but, hey one state at a time isn't bad.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but, I think it was created to get more production out of the nation as a whole under the theory of people are more productive during day light. Without researching it, wasn't it created during WW II for that purpose?

But yea I'm all for it but it would create more headaches if states selectively opted out of it. Example: Counties in Indiana opted out of it at one time. How inconvenient would it be to live in one bordering state / time zone and work in another that opted out? Can you imagine the leading cause of highway car crashes changing from texting and driving to... Adjusting wrist watches and automobile radio clocks :ugh:  

Yea I'm all for it, and while we're at it let's do away with time zones to! That would take a lot of guessing out of what "time" my favorite programs came on TV when they flash 8:00 EST, 7:00 CST, 6:00 PST, 2:00 A.M. yesterday International Date Line, 1:00 P.M. North Pole time...

I say we adopt Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in addition to retiring DST so we're all singing off the same sheet of music.

• Like 1
I'm for it. Makes it a pain in the ass working construction in the winter, it gets dark to early to work after 530 or so. The funny thing is that they changed it to help farmers, but it didn't matter to most farmers. The time on the clock didn't matter, every farmer I know works from dawn till past dusk. The amount of daylight doesn't change, just what time the clock says, and when you are a farmer or someone else doing that type of work, the clock doesn't matter. Tapatalk ate my spelling
  • Like 2
I've always thought it's kind of silly. I'm pretty far from a farmer, but I've always thought it stinks not to be able to do anything outside after the work day (without lights) during the winter. It's also a little bit of a downer for it to be dark when I'm driving home from work...
Opinion? Here's mine: if we keep DST year round, do you want sunrise in late Dec. at 8am? That means your children and grandchildren go to school in the dark. I say do away with DST altogether. If you want to do something in that extra hour you need, get up an hour earlier and go for it. DST has never "saved" anything, much less time. This is my idea, most likely no one else's. Have at it.
  • Like 2

It's going to make doing business a lot harder for everybody....  We'd be better off moving the entire state into EST/EDT than doing this.

That was my first thought. Being out of sync with the rest of the nation in both Central and Eastern time zones for whole standard time period would be rather messy -- thinking airline schedules, TV listings, time specific package delivery,  whatever, to mention a few things off top of bean.

- OS

That was my first thought. Being out of sync with the rest of the nation in both Central and Eastern time zones for whole standard time period would be rather messy -- thinking airline schedules, TV listings, time specific package delivery,  whatever, to mention a few things off top of bean.

- OS

Well, I would imagine that AZ (and the other places that don't change the time) has the same problem, yet they've managed to work it out.

• Like 2
Guest TankerHC
I agree with dropping the time zones. This thing with me driving 4 miles up the mountain to meet up or go shoot, sitting there for 30 minutes then going home po, d because no one showed up, only to have my wife say "you were an hour early. .again" has got to come to a halt. The entire nation needs to get with the program. ..The program being "my time" :D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
[quote name="JayC" post="1113406" timestamp="1392837069"]It's going to make doing business a lot harder for everybody.... We'd be better off moving the entire state into EST/EDT than doing this.[/quote] That'd be a nightmare for businesses here in the Memphis area. Southaven/Olive Branch, MS, are basically suburbs of Memphis being grouped so close together. They'd still be on CST & us on EST. I wouldn't want to own a business with several locations and have different closing times.
  • Like 1