TN to adopt DST only?

I agree with dropping the time zones. This thing with me driving 4 miles up the mountain to meet up or go shoot, sitting there for 30 minutes then going home po, d because no one showed up, only to have my wife say "you were an hour early. .again" has got to come to a halt. The entire nation needs to get with the program. ..The program being "my time" :D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Time zones exist to account for the earths rotation around the sun. DST was started to give and extra hour of "sunlight" to account for the earths axis tilt away from the sun in the winter solstice. Completely different concepts.

Permament DST!! Absolutely ditch the industrial era "fall back" nonsense. Sold of course using "the children", but in reality wartime expedients to maximize productivity and reduce lighting electricity costs. A classic government program which has exceeded its useful life. I would also advocate moving nashville into eastern time - this would bring a double benefit of long summer evenings and eliminate the 4:30pm sunset in winter

I don't care one way or the other as long as my news still starts at 10:00.  I can't stand Eastern Timezone where everything starts an hour late.

You mean on-time... ;)

Nah, two thirds of the state is on the right time, CST.  You folks living over there on the wrong end of the state are the ones who need to get with the rest of us...

• Like 1

The only useful purpose of DST is to remind you to chance your smoke alarm batteries,

Course, there is also the conspiracy that DST is the government's way to keep the 9v battery market alive but I'm not one much for conspiracies.

Edited by strickj
  • Like 1

That was my first thought. Being out of sync with the rest of the nation in both Central and Eastern time zones for whole standard time period would be rather messy -- thinking airline schedules, TV listings, time specific package delivery,  whatever, to mention a few things off top of bean.

- OS

It doesn't actually cause a problem. In Indiana some counties follow DST and some don't. I lived in a county where everyone north of us and west of us were changing times but south of us and east of us they weren't. Half the year we were on Chicago time and the other half were weren't. The people and the businesses just dealt with it.

That being said, I've always thought the concept of moving the clocks was nonsense. The length of daylight isn't affected by our clocks so you don't "save" daylight. I'd like to keep DST year round because I enjoy it being light out later in the day during the warm weather months. As far as kids catching the bus in winter, it's dark out when a lot of kids catch the bus anyhow and they've been alright. The school bus comes by here around 6:30 to 6:45 so setting the clock back doesn't affect that.

I grew up outside South Bend, IN and it was a nightmare...  sometimes on Chicago time, sometimes on EST...  The township I went to school changed timezones, so somedays I woke up at 5am to get to school by 7am their time...

I'm all for doing away with DST altogether...  but we should do it with our neighboring states, not by ourselves...

It doesn't actually cause a problem. In Indiana some counties follow DST and some don't. I lived in a county where everyone north of us and west of us were changing times but south of us and east of us they weren't. Half the year we were on Chicago time and the other half were weren't. The people and the businesses just dealt with it.

That being said, I've always thought the concept of moving the clocks was nonsense. The length of daylight isn't affected by our clocks so you don't "save" daylight. I'd like to keep DST year round because I enjoy it being light out later in the day during the warm weather months. As far as kids catching the bus in winter, it's dark out when a lot of kids catch the bus anyhow and they've been alright. The school bus comes by here around 6:30 to 6:45 so setting the clock back doesn't affect that.

A single state ditching DST is a terrible idea. Just too inconsistent with neighboring states. 

I'm for leaving things the way they are. Since I mostly work outside, I appreciate it getting dark "late" in the summer because I have time to do stuff outside after work, and the cooler mornings are nice. I also enjoy the "early" sunrise helping the temps warm up a little in the winter. I just hate when it gets dark at 5pm.

Edited by Q-tip

A single state ditching DST is a terrible idea. Just too inconsistent with neighboring states. 

No, the bill calls for ditching Eastern Standard Time and Central Standard Time, which is probably even worse.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1113447" timestamp="1392840439"]Good point, I guess puter databases can probably make allowances to handle it okay. - OS[/quote] You'd be surprised how much us database admins fight with developers over this crap at work. It's hilarious, actually. Luckily, since we don't tell them how to write code, they don't tell us how to architect the database. We store all dates in GMT and they look up the customer's offset (an integer) to convert the time to local time. That way instead of it always being 5:00 somewhere, it's 5:00 everywhere at the same time, LOL. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
I really don't see the issue. Out business is in Kingston, but 70% of our client base is in Central Time. Every now and then there is a mixup but you learn to manage it. I understand those who don't live or work near the time-line don't comprehend but it's really a non-issue.

I really don't see the issue. Out business is in Kingston, but 70% of our client base is in Central Time. Every now and then there is a mixup but you learn to manage it. I understand those who don't live or work near the time-line don't comprehend but it's really a non-issue.

The bill wouldn't change the TN time zones. Just that both of them would be an hour later earlier than all the other states in same zone for 4 months of the year.

The national status quo being what it is on the matter, I'd call it another case of doing badly what need not be done at all.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1115250" timestamp="1393118661"]The bill wouldn't change the TN time zones. Just that both of them would be an hour later than all the other states in same zone for 4 months of the year. The national status quo being what it is on the matter, I'd call it another case of doing badly what need not be done at all. - OS[/quote] I guess I just don't see the hoopla. The issue is still that you are (or not) an hour different from the neighbor state, which is the same as moving from one side of the time zone to another. Other counties and states do it and they don't seem have issues, at least not enough to make headlines. I honestly don't care either way, I just don't see that it's an economical issue.

..The issue is still that you are (or not) an hour different from the neighbor state, which is the same as moving from one side of the time zone to another. ..

Well, actually, from Nov. to March after you go up the mountain from Kingston, you become two hours different than the neighboring states from where you began. :)

I don't see how a state being a hour different from all the other states in same time zone can do anything positive, but likely an extra hindrance and irritation in ways we haven't quite considered.

- OS

• Like 1

We live in a global 24 hour world now - lets not worry if we're the first - its the smart thing to do

Haven't we always lived in a "global 24 hour world"? And what does that have to do with four more months of DST? Parts of the world observe DST and many parts don't.
Noon: It's when the sun is highest in the sky. If you want to get up an hour earlier... Get up an hour earlier.

(I will give you timezones, just to keep things simple and you have to account that there's a slight fluctuation of the highest point in the sky vs a 24 hour day but that's all).
  • Like 1

Permament DST!! Absolutely ditch the industrial era "fall back" nonsense. Sold of course using "the children", but in reality wartime expedients to maximize productivity and reduce lighting electricity costs. A classic government program which has exceeded its useful life. I would also advocate moving nashville into eastern time - this would bring a double benefit of long summer evenings and eliminate the 4:30pm sunset in winter

DST is an hour adjustment on the astronomical time so it's the "spring forward" that's the industrial-era nonsense.

As an aside, the farmer thing is apparently a myth.

DST is an hour adjustment on the astronomical time so it's the "spring forward" that's the industrial-era nonsense.

As an aside, the farmer thing is apparently a myth.

Agrarian societies have used the practical implication of a "DST" since before precise time keeping was modernized. The current DST was simply a formalization and adoption of that old practice as a general rule. With the advancement of technology that is no longer restricted by ambient light for safety and production it is no longer necessary or even helpful.

The real myth is that DST is some ill conceived government conspiracy program to get more work out of the plebes to benefit big industry and government.

[quote name="tnguy" post="1115347" timestamp="1393148582"]Noon: It's when the sun is highest in the sky. If you want to get up an hour earlier... Get up an hour earlier. (I will give you timezones, just to keep things simple and you have to account that there's a slight fluctuation of the highest point in the sky vs a 24 hour day but that's all).[/quote] This!