Gun owner was in for a BIG suprise!

Yesterday afternoon I was at a local gun store.  There was a person standing at the counter waiting for a return from TBI on a gun purchase.  A few minutes later, four local police come into the shop and ask the owner if he called about someone with a warrant.  The owner said "no".  The police look around and focused on the person waiting on an approval from TBI.  It turns out that this person had an outstanding warrant.

I have not mentioned the store or city because there are too many thing I am going to conjecture about here.  It appeared that TBI found this warrant and contacted the police department in the jurisdiction of the gun store.  

The local police handled the situation very well.  They were very low key and courteous  to all including the arrestee who was handcuffed and hauled off to find out more about this warrant.

None of the police appeared to be aware of the exact dynamics of what really happened.  They had received a call from their dispatcher that there was someone in the store with an outstanding warrant and confirmed this by interviewing the arrestee.  I explained it to the last officer before he  left and noted that if would really be great if somehow the arrestee could be informed that the gun store did not call the police.

It all went down VERY quickly.

Edited by jaysouth
Saw that happen at a big box store. Counter kept the person there till the pd showed up. Sad thing was the warrant was for a person in a wheelchair Whereas 2 officers showed up and didn't know how to transport the suspect.,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

would really be great if somehow the arrestee could be informed that the gun store did not call the police.

The TBI IS the police.

This is one good thing about running thru the TBI instead of just pinging the NICS. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
I guess the lesson here is that if you have a warrant don't try to buy a gun at a gun store. Unless the person was totally unaware that they had a warrant on them which is possible but not likely, it's a pretty stupid thing to do but as we all know many criminals are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I guess the lesson here is that if you have a warrant don't try to buy a gun at a gun store. Unless the person was totally unaware that they had a warrant on them which is possible but not likely, it's a pretty stupid thing to do but as we all know many criminals are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

In my years of policing I think only about half of the people I have found warrants on actually know they have warrants. An additional small amount may believe that they may have some, but a few are really caught off guard. A warrant can be for any crime and technically can even be filed for a civil suit. It amazes me to think that some people would think a warrant wouldn't matter or would not be found.
  • Like 2

Except with TBI's high false positive rate it's more likely this guy was completely innocent than having an active warrant.

The one good thing about NICS if they mess up you don't end up locked up.

The TBI IS the police.

This is one good thing about running thru the TBI instead of just pinging the NICS. 

• Like 1

Except with TBI's high false positive rate it's more likely this guy was completely innocent than having an active warrant.

The one good thing about NICS if they mess up you don't end up locked up.

I have seen more than one active warrant that was not on file when we asked for the warrant in hand. For an arrest warrant to be served someone physically has to be holding the signed warrant. For them to technically haul the person away someone was holding a warrant. However, this does not mean the person is guilty or even the person for whom someone thought they were filing a warrant. More than once I have heard that a person swore out(can be a citizen) then at court the person served was a case of mistaken identity.