The dangers of dogs in elevators

• Moderators

Why everyone should always carry a knife.

When I was a kid me were in the car at a convenience store. While my Dad was in the store, I took the seat-belt, made a loop with it, and place it around my neck (that's what kids do, right?). Well, of course the seat-belt tightened, and about that time my Dad came around the corner. Of course at this moment, he FREAKED. I didn't really see what the big deal was other than the fact I couldn't get it off. He tried pulling on the seat-belt to gain some slack, but it was one that locked and in order to get slack you had to first let it all the way in. It wasn't going in any further because my neck was taking up too much slack. So he cut the seat-belt.

If he didn't have a pocket knife I might have suffocated, not really sure.

Well luckily it seems the dog was wearing a standard collar. So even though the leash was being pulled it wasn't cutting off his airway completely. I'm sure it was uncomfortable and scary for the dog and owner, he seemed fine afterward. Seems the owners hand may have been injured worse. (Possibly dog bite) the video doesn't show.
  • Like 1
I think I remember hearing that the dog was fine. Makes me remember a time that my wife and I took our 1 year old 80lbs Labrador to a park. The was a 4ft tall rock wall about 2 ft deep that patted my hand on for the dog to jump up on. Instead of the dog jumping on top of the wall he jumped over it, the other side was a 10ft drop. Thankfully he was wearing a harness and not a collar. I try to never put my dog on a strong leash, collar, or choker chain. There is too many chances he could get hung or pulled away by something. Edited by Patton
Strange. Looked like she had a retractable leash attached directly to one dog with a simple nylon leash on the other one. I'd like to know what the leash got hung on. Doesn't seem like just the door closing would clamp tight enough to do that? Also didn't look like she saved the dog, looked more like the elevator reached its destination and the doors opened.
[quote name="peejman" post="1131742" timestamp="1396126143"]Strange. Looked like she had a retractable leash attached directly to one dog with a simple nylon leash on the other one. I'd like to know what the leash got hung on. Doesn't seem like just the door closing would clamp tight enough to do that? Also didn't look like she saved the dog, looked more like the elevator reached its destination and the doors opened.[/quote]yea...I know a lot about elevators and this whole thing is strange. Those doors are super sensitive and the least bit of pressure can bust them back open. And like you, I can't think of what it was hung on; unless it caught the floor and she was going down but that is a far stretch. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Well luckily it seems the dog was wearing a standard collar. So even though the leash was being pulled it wasn't cutting off his airway completely. I'm sure it was uncomfortable and scary for the dog and owner, he seemed fine afterward. Seems the owners hand may have been injured worse. (Possibly dog bite) the video doesn't show.

I have to agree. I'd say the metal clasp on leash took a good "beating" as did the actual leash.

Lucky dog. It got out of the elevator as fast as he could. Something tells me it's not going back in an elevator anytime soon.

Can't say I blame the him.

Sadly it's not the first one. THE DOG DOES NOT DIE. SAFE TO WATCH.

http://youtu.be/Ki-a22gGZOw

Edited by TnShooter83

This is why I use a harness for my GSD and 4-6ft leash not a retractable. Plus she did not have positive control of the leash. but did have control of her cell phone. My dog comes first, fck a phone. But then again, my GSD would probably puss out when getting on an elevator, had issues trying to get him across the bridge at Falls Creek Falls.