Opinions on Ammo storage needed.

Hi my name is Tobashadow and I have a ammo buying problem lol. My ammo collection has come to the point that in box in safe storage or shelf is out. I got a deal on a pallet of the smaller stackable Plano boxes that will be here tomorrow and want the opinions of the group cause I'm at a dilemma. Of course pistol ammo stays in individual boxes but what to do with bulk ammo like 22 or 223 or 7.62x39. Do I use a crap ton of ammo boxes or do I just dump them loose in the boxes and mark the box for content. And yes it's one caliber only per box or boxes. Edited by Tobashadow
Holy cow , a pallet of ammo cans?!

I've got ammo stored loose in a can, in boxes in a can, boxes in a cabinet, and loose in a pretzel jar. :)I like loose storage for the 22.s I shoot most which are Calibri, I've got those in an old pretzel jar. I just grab a handful and go. Bulk plinking ammo that's getting used relatively soon also gets tossed in loose, I just grab the can or fill up a zip lock bag. Anything "specialty" stays in the box. Anything being set aside for the hoard stays in the box. Of course, there are exceptions.

As to what to do with it all, I'd say that your might want to think about storing some off site. I keep some spread around at a few different places. A little at my brothers, a lot here, a whole lot at my parents as that's the rendezvous point for the family and I spend a lot of time there anyway.

It works out pretty well.
  • Like 1
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1133325" timestamp="1396490669"]Holy cow , a pallet of ammo cans?! I've got ammo stored loose in a can, in boxes in a can, boxes in a cabinet, and loose in a pretzel jar. :)I like loose storage for the 22.s I shoot most which are Calibri, I've got those in an old pretzel jar. I just grab a handful and go. Bulk plinking ammo that's getting used relatively soon also gets tossed in loose, I just grab the can or fill up a zip lock bag. Anything "specialty" stays in the box. Anything being set aside for the hoard stays in the box. Of course, there are exceptions. As to what to do with it all, I'd say that your might want to think about storing some off site. I keep some spread around at a few different places. A little at my brothers, a lot here, a whole lot at my parents as that's the rendezvous point for the family and I spend a lot of time there anyway. It works out pretty well.[/quote] Scuffed or wrong color, all new paid shipping only, one time deal.
[quote name="Symbolic" post="1133339" timestamp="1396491711"]Be sure to post a pic. I'm curious to see what we're workin with here.[/quote] Oh it's not a horder stash like some of you but the 1 inch thick five foot long shelf is starting to bow pretty mean so it's into stackable floor boxes under wife's orders before I can buy more.

Oh it's not a horder stash like some of you but the 1 inch thick five foot long shelf is starting to bow pretty mean so it's into stackable floor boxes under wife's orders before I can buy more.

It's not a box or ammo can, although I do use some of those; be on the lookout for a hazardous materials cabinet. They make great storage cabinets. Very strong shelves in them. And they come in a multitude of sizes. But they are not usually cheap.

I use two of the hazard storage cabinets, these suckers are heavy , surplus ammo cans,paper ammo boxes,100ct plastic trays, and have an old WWII foot locker that has my bulk powder storage. And still have stuff everywhere. Still hard to get into my reloading room.Store my cast boolits in large top plastic jugs.

I was worried that the shelves hoding my ammo would become overloaded and moved it to stackable containers.  This also made keeping an inventory easier.

Ah yes...inventory maintenance. Another chore.

Actually, I do use marked ammo cans for longer term storage. Current use is stored on cabinet shelves to facilitate easy acess.

I always recommend not having ammo in the safe in case of fire.  Just on the off-chance *some* of the guns *might* survive the fire, a large ammo explosion puts an end to your luck.  A cheap safe might be in order as an ammo cabinet if you think someone will steal it. 

One nice way to store 223 is in your mags...  at some point more mags is silly and pricy but at least 10 or so is a solid investment and good storage, depending on your paranoia level and budget...

Otherwise, what people here said is all great.  Cool dry place,  moisture control if needed,  stack it somewhere sturdy in rugged stackable containers or on rugged shelving.  DIY  thick shelves can hold hundreds of pounds over a 2-4 foot span, 6 or so shelves from floor to ceiling would hold 10s of thousands of rounds of common ammo.

For really long term storage you could paint over the primers to seal them or do a light vacuum seal (dont suck the primers and bullets out the case, but get most of the air) with one of those food storage devices.  For that matter quart jars can be lightly air-sealed with one of those devices. 

• Like 1
Guest BCR#1

I always recommend not having ammo in the safe in case of fire.  Just on the off-chance *some* of the guns *might* survive the fire, a large ammo explosion puts an end to your luck.  A cheap safe might be in order as an ammo cabinet if you think someone will steal it. 

One nice way to store 223 is in your mags...  at some point more mags is silly and pricy but at least 10 or so is a solid investment and good storage, depending on your paranoia level and budget...

Otherwise, what people here said is all great.  Cool dry place,  moisture control if needed,  stack it somewhere sturdy in rugged stackable containers or on rugged shelving.  DIY  thick shelves can hold hundreds of pounds over a 2-4 foot span, 6 or so shelves from floor to ceiling would hold 10s of thousands of rounds of common ammo.

For really long term storage you could paint over the primers to seal them or do a light vacuum seal (dont suck the primers and bullets out the case, but get most of the air) with one of those food storage devices.  For that matter quart jars can be lightly air-sealed with one of those devices. 

Ammo will not explode in a fire, no matter how much you have on hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

Except for .22LR, all my center fire pistol and rifle ammo is stored loose inside 30 and 50 cal. ammo cans that are stored inside a locked Stack-On brand gun cabinet to prevent theft. The .22 sits on the shelf in the top of the cabinet.

I am 100% confident that no projectiles will not penetrate the ammo cans, much less the ammo cans and the steel gun cabinet.

Bill

Edited by BCR#1
I have all my glock, AR, & AK mags loaded...the remaining ammo is all loose in labeled 50cal cans except for one box of 7.62 that I need to get a can for....I like the idea of grabbing ammo cans on the go if needed than having to worry about grabbing and dropping a bunch of small boxes...

The OP

"Of course pistol ammo stays in individual boxes but what to do with bulk ammo like 22 or 223 or 7.62x39."

He means when he's bought loose ammo in bulk.

My only additional advice is to be aware of how heavy ammo is and make sure the floor you're stacking it on is up to the task. Typical residential wood framed floors are design for 40 lbs/sqft.

Holy cow , a pallet of ammo cans?!

I've got ammo stored loose in a can, in boxes in a can, boxes in a cabinet, and loose in a pretzel jar. :)I like loose storage for the 22.s I shoot most which are Calibri, I've got those in an old pretzel jar. I just grab a handful and go. Bulk plinking ammo that's getting used relatively soon also gets tossed in loose, I just grab the can or fill up a zip lock bag. Anything "specialty" stays in the box. Anything being set aside for the hoard stays in the box. Of course, there are exceptions.

As to what to do with it all, I'd say that your might want to think about storing some off site. I keep some spread around at a few different places. A little at my brothers, a lot here, a whole lot at my parents as that's the rendezvous point for the family and I spend a lot of time there anyway.

It works out pretty well.

I like pretzel jars ... and peanut butter jars too. I can get 200 9mms in a JIF jar... :pleased: