Noticing more OC

Being a permit holder for over 15 years, I've observed concealed carriers from time to time.  With the increasing number of permit holders in our state, (Weakley County is well over 2,200!) spotting those is becoming more frequent.

I'm not going to take a stand to OC or not OC, both have merits and disadvantages.  Won't go there, I think that dead horse has already been beaten.

But would like to point out; over the last few weeks, I've seen more and more people using OC. 

Several weeks ago at a Mexican place in Dresden, a man was OC'ing while in the place, I took nothing, and observed no one else noticed.

Last week, leaving Rural King in Martin, I'm going out, someone with a crossdraw holster is walking in. 

This past weekend, I take the family to a local restuarant in Dresden, Kountry Korner.  We were grabbing a bite after a political "Meet the candidates" at an Elem. School, I wasn't carrying, since I knew I would be in school grounds.  While eating, another motorcycle club pulls up, they gather around our tables.  One of the bikers was OC'ing a very nice Glock and holster.  Person at the table beside me is in a suit, but is a Weakley County Sherriff's Deputy (man is running for Sherriff) a few tables away, in a suit is the Sherriff of Weakley County.  Both notice the Open Carrier.  Either have the right to ID themselves and ask the man for his permit but neither said anything. 

After lunch, the man running for Sheriff spoke to us outside and asked our vote.  I asked him if he saw the man with the gun on his belt, he said, that's common now and don't think anything about it.

Now, to my little story.  Saturday morning, I get out before sunrise for a little breakfast and fill out my truck prior to my wild turkey hunt.  I am all camo (hadn't painted my face yet) but am OC'ing a Glock 17.  Someone did take notice and just looked.  After filling up, I went into the store for a bite/drink....on the way out, the guy who was staring at my gun, went out of his way to open the door for me.

• Like 2
I know this might be a far stretch, but bear with me.

I can remember when I was growing up that being a homosexual was almost an arrestable offense. There was none of this in your face gayness that we deal with now on a daily basis. No one seems to care anymore.

Now, just think if gun owners displayed their passion, openly, for gun ownership in public more often instead of "hiding in the closet" so to speak. Maybe over time the general public would accept open carry and gun onwership more willingly than they seem to now. It seems sometimes that those of us that open carry are treated like outcasts by our own side.

Just a thought.
  • Like 1

One point we seem to forget is that when a bad guy is determined to be bad he is going to take out any threat first this could be an OC.  I will never show my cards.

Edited by NRA
  • Like 3

One point we seem to forget is that when a bad guy is determined to be bad he is going to take out any threat first this could be an OC.  I will never show my cards.

Maybe.....I've felt that way too. Sometimes I'm thinking it could change a BG's mind. Of course if your scenario is the one that plays out, that would be a bad day, so why take a chance.
  • Like 2

Being a permit holder for over 15 years, I've observed concealed carriers from time to time.  With the increasing number of permit holders in our state, (Weakley County is well over 2,200!) spotting those is becoming more frequent.

I'm not going to take a stand to OC or not OC, both have merits and disadvantages.  Won't go there, I think that dead horse has already been beaten.

But would like to point out; over the last few weeks, I've seen more and more people using OC. 

Several weeks ago at a Mexican place in Dresden, a man was OC'ing while in the place, I took nothing, and observed no one else noticed.

Last week, leaving Rural King in Martin, I'm going out, someone with a crossdraw holster is walking in. 

This past weekend, I take the family to a local restuarant in Dresden, Kountry Korner.  We were grabbing a bite after a political "Meet the candidates" at an Elem. School, I wasn't carrying, since I knew I would be in school grounds.  While eating, another motorcycle club pulls up, they gather around our tables.  One of the bikers was OC'ing a very nice Glock and holster.  Person at the table beside me is in a suit, but is a Weakley County Sherriff's Deputy (man is running for Sherriff) a few tables away, in a suit is the Sherriff of Weakley County.  Both notice the Open Carrier.  Either have the right to ID themselves and ask the man for his permit but neither said anything. 

After lunch, the man running for Sheriff spoke to us outside and asked our vote.  I asked him if he saw the man with the gun on his belt, he said, that's common now and don't think anything about it.

Now, to my little story.  Saturday morning, I get out before sunrise for a little breakfast and fill out my truck prior to my wild turkey hunt.  I am all camo (hadn't painted my face yet) but am OC'ing a Glock 17.  Someone did take notice and just looked.  After filling up, I went into the store for a bite/drink....on the way out, the guy who was staring at my gun, went out of his way to open the door for me.

I know what they say about assuming and assumptions but we all do it, we kind of have to from time to time. If I was a LEO, I would probably assume that anyone carrying openly holstered in a public place has a HCP. I know many criminals are morons but even that would be a stupid move for them, besides bad guys are already making their move when they display their gun, not just eating at some restaurant. Alot of people probably notice, they just don't say anything and assume you have a permit. If you OC long enough you will probably run into some rabid leftest anti that's going to call you names and accuse you of killing babies.

• Like 1

No, we don't forget this because people such as yourself never miss a chance to remind us. I don't understand why certain people can't resist any chance to regurgitate the same used talking points on open carry.

There is almost zero data to support this claim that open carriers are targeted first. Seriously, in all the years of people openly carrying there have been 1-2 news stories of something bad happening to them.

If you don't want to OC then don't,  but stop crapping on these thread every time they appear. Be thankful that you live in a state that grants you the freedom to carry your pistol like you choose instead of being forced to hide as if you are doing something wrong.

One of the best comparisons I've heard yet

I can remember when I was growing up that being a homosexual was almost an arrestable offense. There was none of this in your face gayness that we deal with now on a daily basis. No one seems to care anymore.

Now, just think if gun owners displayed their passion, openly, for gun ownership in public more often instead of "hiding in the closet" so to speak. Maybe over time the general public would accept open carry and gun onwership more willingly than they seem to now. It seems sometimes that those of us that open carry are treated like outcasts by our own side.

Just a thought.

Edited by molonlabetn
Guest Lowbuster
The people I see oc are more times than not young people. I got mine in 1997 and normally cc but a lot of times I think if you don't use things they are taken away. I think after the new wears off of people's new HCP then they will CC also. I could be wrong but everybody has a preference. To each his or her own.

Just a thought.

Yeah, but the gays have made themselves a flaming annoyance pain in the rear with their in-your-face tactics(pun intended).....somehow, I don't think that would win us many friends vis-a-vis bearing arms......courteous, steady,friendly and responsible attitudes will do more good than militancy. Otherwise we play right into the hands of those who desire to strip us of the rights and ability to self-defense.....not to mention retaining our liberty in the face of tyrannical government "representatives".....who will label us "extremists " or worse in order to justify their schemes.
  • Like 1
Guest semiautots

For me, I just prefer no one else know what I'm doing.  It's a privacy thing.  No one following me home and breaking in later.  That's all.  And I had one of the 1st permits issued in Robertson county.  Back when you had to put up a bond, in '94.

I will not criticize anyone for their decision on their carry preference. It is none of my business. My preference is to CC. I got my HCP to be able to legally CC and not to let everyone know I have a gun. It is my business and no one else if I am armed. If I ever allow someone to know I am armed it will be because a situation has developed that requires me to have my gun in my hand in open sight...............jmho 

Just a thought.

Yeah, but the gays have made themselves a flaming annoyance pain in the rear with their in-your-face tactics(pun intended).....somehow, I don't think that would win us many friends vis-a-vis bearing arms......courteous, steady,friendly and responsible attitudes will do more good than militancy. Otherwise we play right into the hands of those who desire to strip us of the rights and ability to self-defense.....not to mention retaining our liberty in the face of tyrannical government "representatives".....who will label us "extremists " or worse in order to justify their schemes.

Regardless of where one stands on the openness of homosexuality in our country, there is one, major point at which the analogy completely breaks down.  The simple truth is that Hollywood and other, various media/entertainment outlets support gays coming out of the closet and even go as far as suggesting people be shunned for even privately opposing things like same sex marriage and so on.  Just turn on the television these days and it seems like nearly every show on every network has at least one homosexual character or couple.  Hell, I have seen more openly homosexual characters in one night of watching television than I have known in reality in my entire life - in other words, I think the ratio of homosexuals to heterosexuals has become higher on television, in movies and so on than it even approaches in real life.

On the flip side, those same Hollywood types and media outlets not only don't support our cause but often actually oppose it.  Many of them don't even believe we should be able to own guns much less carry them.  Therefore, while a 'gay pride' parade is likely to receive positive coverage in the media a person openly carrying a firearm is likely to be portrayed as unreasonable, at best.  More likely, that person will be portrayed as a complete loon.  Unfortunately, just like in China and other countries where overt propaganda is used to manipulate public opinion, the public opinion of OC would be manipulated by those media outlets.  I see no way that the major media outlets are going to accept - much less promote - people who carry handguns (OC or CC) as a wrongfully marginalized, oppressed group that is bravely and justly fighting for equal rights and treatment.

I honestly have not seen all that many folks carrying OC since I started carrying, myself (about five years ago) and started really paying attention.  The last OC I saw was in the Home Depot in Lenoir City.  The fellow in question had a nice looking, stainless (I think) semi-auto pistol of some type in an OWB holster at about 3:30.  The holster also looked nice and appeared to have good retention.  I am thinking it even had a thumb break strap.

Before him, the next to the last person I saw OCing was a guy in the Save-A-Lot in Rockwood.  He was carrying an Uberti (I asked him) single action .45 revolver in an open-top, western style holster.  I'm not sure how well it 'went' with his t-shirt but to each his own. 

I don't think either of the above, two gentlemen or anyone else present who didn't know me realized I had my j-frame in my pocket on those, two occasions.  I did not mention it, myself.

Edited by JAB

I would definitely like to see even more people OCing with proper holsters and friendly attitudes. That would be a great help to improve the public perception of carrying. The more it happens, the less people notice.

• Like 4
[quote name="Lowbuster" post="1135392" timestamp="1396920139"]The people I see oc are more times than not young people. I got mine in 1997 and normally cc but a lot of times I think if you don't use things they are taken away. I think after the new wears off of people's new HCP then they will CC also. I could be wrong but everybody has a preference. To each his or her own.[/quote] My experience has been just the opposite, I never see anyone young OC'ing in my area. Most that I've seen OC'ing here are older gents. A few I've seen with some very nice leather rigs, even though leather isn't my thing. I OC occasionally. No, I don't feel as though I've drawn a target on myself, that's silly, at best.

I would definitely like to see even more people OCing with proper holsters and friendly attitudes. That would be a great help to improve the public perception of carrying. The more it happens, the less people notice.

I'd like to see this, along with maybe an "Open Carry Day", unofficially, of course. It would be nice, even if just for those of us on this forum, to select a day and go about our business while OC'ing and see how things went. Just a thought.

Guest Lowbuster

My experience has been just the opposite, I never see anyone young OC'ing in my area. Most that I've seen OC'ing here are older gents. A few I've seen with some very nice leather rigs, even though leather isn't my thing. I OC occasionally. No, I don't feel as though I've drawn a target on myself, that's silly, at best.

It works different ways for different places I guess. I'd much rather see our older generation OC as their maturity usually will tend to give the rest of us a good rep.

I'd like to see this, along with maybe an "Open Carry Day", unofficially, of course. It would be nice, even if just for those of us on this forum, to select a day and go about our business while OC'ing and see how things went. Just a thought.

This is a good idea. Some groups have done a roadside cleanup or other community service project while OCing, also for promoting normalcy and projecting a good image. It's hard to be against people picking up litter.